Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

toll beating methods

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ART6 wrote: »
    Quite. But how do people respond to rip off legislation imposed by cynical politicians between elections? Write to your TD? Waste of good paper. Go to your TD's clinic? Again, waste of time -- he has no influence whatever and as a party man wouldn't use it if he had. I accept that tailgating is madness (but not illegal), but the Regulations were not applied as a result of public demand. Instead they were inacted by a government for whom stealth taxation is a matter of routine. The M50 toll is a national scandal and in my view anything anyone does to defeat it is a victory for us anarchists:D

Don't know what country your in, but everywhere I've driven tail gating is illegal. You may not get a fine with "Tail Gating" on it but you will get done for something or a Darwin award if your unlucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Just plaster a little bit of muck onto a digit or 2 of your reg, should do the trick.

Also, if your a paylater person, how do you know if you've got away with it? Do you have to ring them and ask if theres a charge on your reg plate?

Crazy that they dont just have a cash toll booth on the road, would save me personally so much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You only pay €3 if you choose to. Theres plenty of cheaper options.

Plus they are not competing with other foregin roads so I dont see why the price comparison is relevant.

Unless you want to give your bank details to these idiots that couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery you have to pay 3 euro. I for one will not give them my details , and I have been proven right becuase I paid my 3 euro, kept the receipt and 10 days later got a letter telling me to pay... they can go swing !

So you feel the west link represents good value do you ?

Back on track , if anyone can work out a way of dodging these then great , the only reason they want you to have a tag too is for ' belt and braces ' as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,973 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't know what country your in, but everywhere I've driven tail gating is illegal. You may not get a fine with "Tail Gating" on it but you will get done for something or a Darwin award if your unlucky

Its either dangerous driving or driving without due care here, not sure which one. Either way, it is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have not washed my van in 2 years and I still get billed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

....or a Darwin award if your unlucky
    VERY unlucky indeed if you manage to kill yourself by nudging the back of a lorry at 5kph. :rolleyes:

according to the wiki page on ANPR there's another alternative to tailgating to avoid having your numberplate electronically 'read'.
    As of 2006, systems can scan number plates at around one per second on cars travelling up to 100 mph (160 km/h).
    looks like an open challenge to the motorist imho and a much better solution to tailgating. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

MYOB wrote: »
    Its either dangerous driving or driving without due care here, not sure which one. Either way, it is illegal.

Look, I don't condone tailgating (just in case you're thinking I was doing). In fact it's something that makes me very angry ever since a BF nearly killed me a few years ago as a result of doing it. BUT. I stand on my statement that it is not in itself illegal since there is to my knowledge no accepted legal definition of it. Being 10 feet of someone's bumper in a tailback is not especially dangerous, while the same clearance at 60 clicks is very much so. All the cops can do, I assume, is to decide if the proximity and speed of the perpetrator is such as to amount to dangerous or reckless driving.

In that case tucking under the tail of a truck (where the driver can't see you) is a risky way of avoiding a €2 toll. Sooner or later someone in the NRA might wake up to what's going on and get the AGS on the lookout. The name of the game is to kick up hell untill the toll is scrapped, rather than find dangerous ways of avoiding it.

Advertisement