Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism & Agnosticism a subforum of Religion & Spritually...

Options
  • 28-10-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Ironymuch?

Agnosticism could possibly be categorized as a religious outlook but Atheism certainly cannot. What genius came up with this? Please qualify your decision...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

We're all mature enough not to nit-pick largely irrelevant things.

Darts a sport? pfffft;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Where else would you put it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Religion & Spirituality

Atheists can still be spiritual you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The section Religion and Spirituality is surely for forums whose purpose is the discussion of religious and spiritual matters. This forum concerns itself quite blatantly with religious matters. You don't have to actually believe in something to discuss it -- as is the case here.

There's also a "Skeptics Corner" subforum under "Paranormal".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What everyone said.

Except the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

And how the hell could Agnosticism be described as a religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Beruthiel wrote: »
    +1:)

Besides, atheism cannot exist without theism.

There's one for the noggin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's always confused me how atheists can be 'spiritual'. I would have assumed that atheists were by and large materialists.

Damn those materialistic Buddhists!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I can't wait until I'm reborn as argon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

seamus wrote: »
    Damn those materialistic Buddhists!
    I've never quite understood how Buddhists are automatically lumped in with atheists.

With entities like Brahma and Sakka along with a host of other supernatural entities which feature in the religion, the idea that it is a atheist creed seems odd.

I would have placed it in the agnostic camp in that while they exist they don't seem to require absolute worship in the western sense.

Perhaps I've been misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Dave! wrote: »
    The section Religion and Spirituality is surely for forums whose purpose is the discussion of religious and spiritual matters. This forum concerns itself quite blatantly with religious matters. You don't have to actually believe in something to discuss it -- as is the case here.

There's also a "Skeptics Corner" subforum under "Paranormal".

How's getting the non-drinkers forum moved to be a sub-forum of "Beer & wine & Spirits" going?

I have no interest in doing that, but it wouldn't bother me at all bud... As I said, Skeptics' Corner is a sub-forum of Paranormal; the outrage is conspicuously absent.

I don't think there's a science to where the admins decide to place forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Mordeth wrote: »
    it's always confused me how atheists can be 'spiritual'.

It confuses everyone who understands what the two words mean. The term spirtual atheist is just as ridiculous as christian scientist.
    Zillah wrote: »
    And how the hell could Agnosticism be described as a religion?

ag·nos·ti·cism speaker.gif (āg-nŏs'tĭ-sĭz'əm) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    1. The doctrine that certainty about first principles or absolute truth is unattainable and that only perceptual phenomena are objects of exact knowledge.
    2. The belief that there can be no proof either that God exists or that God does not exist.
    I said possibly because agnostics are on the fence, it is not belief but it is not disbelief so it's closer to religion then atheism will ever be and for you or anyone reading this to whom the notion may occur please spare us the whole "technically we are all agnostics" / "well yes, I'm also a unicorn agnotic" debate.

Acknowledged but...
    pH wrote: »
    How's getting the non-drinkers forum moved to be a sub-forum of "Beer & wine & Spirits" going?

Hear hear!

LA3G wrote: »
    1. The doctrine that certainty about first principles or absolute truth is unattainable and that only perceptual phenomena are objects of exact knowledge.
    2. The belief that there can be no proof either that God exists or that God does not exist.
    I subscribe to both of the above.

I believe there can be no proof of gods existing or not existing, but I don't believe they do - which makes me an atheist.

Read this thread for a recent rant on the matter, if only the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Ironymuch?

Agnosticism could possibly be categorized as a religious outlook but Atheism certainly cannot. What genius came up with this? Please qualify your decision...

welcome to 3 years ago ...

Dades wrote: »
    I subscribe to both of the above.

I believe there can be no proof of gods existing or not existing, but I don't believe they do - which makes me an atheist.

Read this thread for a recent rant on the matter, if only the first post.

Of course something supernatural can never be proved to not exist because it is impossible to prove a negative so technically all atheists are really agnostic (as per your link). This does not mean the probability of a god's existence is 50% and oh, I did address this already in my last post already because I knew someone would bring this up...
    I said possibly because agnostics are on the fence, it is not belief but it is not disbelief so it's closer to religion then atheism will ever be and for you or anyone reading this to whom the notion may occur please spare us the whole "technically we are all atheists" / "well yes I'm also a unicorn atheist" debate.

*I did had in unicorn atheist erroneously but hopefully people who frequent this forum would be familiar with the term unicorn agnostic and they would have spotted the mistake and taken my meaning.

technically all atheists are really agnostic
    Agnosticism could possibly be categorized as a religious outlook
    So what exactly is the problem with the forum sitting in the Religion & Spirituality category?

This does not mean the probability of a god's existence is 50% and oh, I did address this already in my last post already because I knew someone would bring this up...
    Who brought what up now? :confused:

Of course something supernatural can never be proved to not exist because it is impossible to prove a negative so technically all atheists are really agnostic (as per your link).

This is just not true, people trot out the "it is impossible to prove a negative" yet science does it all the time, theories are proposed and via experimentation they are proved to be wrong, good examples are Luminiferous Aether and Lamarckism. In fact in science exactly the opposite is true, you can't prove a positive, all you can say for any of our current theories is "no one has proved them wrong yet!".

When it comes down to it, the only things that you can't prove are things for which no tests exist, so "can't prove a negative" is just wrong, "can't prove things you can't prove" is better but then merely a tautology.

• Advertisement

Of course something supernatural can never be proved to not exist because it is impossible to prove a negative so technically all atheists are really agnostic (as per your link).
    So what exactly is the problem with the forum sitting in the Religion & Spirituality category?

As stated previously, only agnostic insofar as we are about unicorns, leprechauns, flying spaghetti monsters and tooth fairies. I'm sure we've all read Dawkins and know about what it is I speak...
    Who brought what up now?

Unicorn, flying spaghetti monster and tooth fairy agnostics (atheists) - as per your link.

I have no idea what's going on now.....

pH wrote: »
    This is just not true, people trot out the "it is impossible to prove a negative" yet science does it all the time

Semantics.

I believe in absolute truths where they are viable. It is impossible to prove a negative regarding questions about all the supernatural (outside of nature and the universe (multiverse etc etc), i.e - nonexistent) gods.

"So go ahead, prove there's no god..."

"So go ahead, prove there's no god..."

Fine, first tell me what's the difference between a universe with a God and a universe without one, then I'm sure science can work on it. It's definitely not semantics, you've basically rephrased it as "you can't prove what you can't prove", which is banal, whereas "you can't prove a negative" would be quite interesting, if only it was true.

I have no idea what's going on now.....
    Phew! I thought it was just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I've never quite understood how Buddhists are automatically lumped in with atheists.

With entities like Brahma and Sakka along with a host of other supernatural entities which feature in the religion, the idea that it is a atheist creed seems odd.

I would have placed it in the agnostic camp in that while they exist they don't seem to require absolute worship in the western sense.

Perhaps I've been misinformed.

As I understand it...

First of all, there are many, many sects to Buddhism. Some believe in gods and worship them (a bit), some believe in gods but don't worship them, some don't believe in gods at all. The general consensus, if I recall correctly, is that it doesn't matter whether gods exist or not, because we should be more concerned with what happens in the physical world.

The Buddha said not to believe anything you have been told by anyone - even him (though I'm heavily paraphrasing here) - until you have tested it for yourself and found it to be true.

Some people just adopt the philosophies of Buddhism without the spiritual teachings, and as such there are atheist Buddhists and even (a limited number of) Christian Buddhists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

As I understand it...
    Very nice MH
    The Buddha said not to believe anything you have been told by anyone - even him (though I'm heavily paraphrasing here) - until you have tested it for yourself and found it to be true.
    I believe in this approach...
    Some people just adopt the philosophies of Buddhism without the spiritual teachings, and as such there are atheist Buddhists and even (a limited number of) Christian Buddhists.
    Buddhists are definitely an insane lot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I said possibly because agnostics are on the fence, it is not belief but it is not disbelief so it's closer to religion then atheism will ever be

Agnosticism is closer to religion than atheism in the same way that a football is closer to planetdom than a golf ball.

I said possibly because agnostics are on the fence, it is not belief but it is not disbelief so it's closer to religion then atheism will ever be
    Zillah wrote: »
    Agnosticism is closer to religion than atheism in the same way that a football is closer to planetdom than a golf ball.

Agnosticism is closer to religion than atheism is.

Agnosticism is closer to religion than it is to atheism.

The former is what I said, the latter what you misconstrued it as - there's a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Agnosticism is closer to religion than atheism is.

Agnosticism is closer to religion than it is to atheism.

I disagree, I doubt there is any atheist who would refuse to convert in the presence of irrefutable proof of the existence of one or more gods.

An atheist is confidant that the proof will be non-forthcoming. An agnostic is not so sure.

Religious folks are miles away. Blind faith? No thanks.

Advertisement