Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband without a phone line - Cabinteely

Options
  • 28-10-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I would like to get broadband without a phone line.

I have tried NTL and Digi Web neither provide a service where I live (The Park, Cabinteely, Dublin 18).

Does anyone have any suggestions? (already have a 3G device but want a complete solution for the house not just one laptop, plus 3G is not the most stable or fast)

I would like a minimum 3MB download speed in the region of 25-30 Euros a month with the cheapest install costs. Like what digiweb (Metro) and NTL (Broadband through Cable) offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Irish broadband?
    Clearwire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Clearwire is not broadband, neither is Irishbroadband Ripwave. Irishbroadband Breeze is just about the only thing left, unless you bite the bullet and get a phone line in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Now it depends a bit what you mean by without a phone line but aren't there options available where you get just broadband over the phone line but not voice?

If you mean that you don't/can't get a phone line into the house then your options are serverly limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Think he means he doesn't want to pay for line rental etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Now it depends a bit what you mean by without a phone line but aren't there options available where you get just broadband over the phone line but not voice?

No. If you have a phone line then you pay line rental, regardless of whether you use the phone or not.

Ruling out the phone line just because you don't want to pay the line rental is a bit daft, as it's often the only way to actually get broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BopperSnr

I'm looking for broadband only since I have no requirment for a phone. Why would I pay 25 euro for a phone line if I don't make landline calls. All I want is a good internet connection.

To get a phone line would mean the cheapest option comes in around 50 euro to get the internet a month.

Any other ideas to get internet only for around 25/30 a month with speeds up to 3MB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

BopperSnr wrote: »
    I'm looking for broadband only since I have no requirment for a phone. Why would I pay 25 euro for a phone line if I don't make landline calls. All I want is a good internet connection.

That's the dilemma we all face. Unfortunately you have no choice if you want proper working braodband. Bite the bullet or not BB. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Irish Broadband breeze is possibly your best bet

No phone line
    No install fee
    3MB a bit pricey at 48.40 / month

There coverage in Cabinteely is very patchy I'd imagine due to all the trees in the area blocking L.O.S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

3MB a bit pricey at 48.40 / month

Sure you'd get 3Mb with the phone for less than that, around €43. Not only would this probably work better but you could also make cheaper landline calls and above all people could call you cheaply, rather than being gouged ringing a mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Try Alpha-wave, They supply a satellite service, 1mb(geniune) for 30 euro a month, there situated in the south east thou, so i dont know if that helps,

http://www.alphawave.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

jor el wrote: »
    Clearwire is not broadband, neither is Irishbroadband Ripwave.

Actually they are if you use the technical context of what broadband actually is and not the media presented perception of the technology - which is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ekissane

Apparently it's possible to provide ADSL broadband without paying line rental. Technically Eircom can provide you with what is called a "dry loop" which gives you broadband over the phone line without being able to make phonecalls on the line. In some countries it is illegal for telcos not to provide this service if you ask for it. I'm not sure whether it's illegal in Ireland or not. But it is food for thought.

Advertisement