Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry's January Transfer Targets ?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

I think we can assume that we'll be very busy again in the next transfer window.

IMO we should go for experienced players already in the EPL because we just don't have time for other foreign league imports to adjust to the english game.

Who do you think Harry should be buying ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I was watching Football Matters on Setanta last night and the 3 D's were mentioned Distin, Diarra & Defoe, tahts if he raids his old club. I would have no probs with any of those players. I would also love to give Kevin Doyle a chance at Spurs. Possibly Scott Parker & Matthew Upson aswell. All solid players. Hopefully the Beckham talk is sh*te, as we have Bentley & Lennon. Final thought would possibly be a decent left sided midfielder/winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Woodgate wrote: »
    I was watching Football Matters on Setanta last night and the 3 D's were mentioned Distin, Diarra & Defoe, tahts if he raids his old club. I would have no probs with any of those players. I would also love to give Kevin Doyle a chance at Spurs. Possibly Scott Parker & Matthew Upson aswell. All solid players. Hopefully the Beckham talk is sh*te, as we have Bentley & Lennon. Final thought would possibly be a decent left sided midfielder/winger.

Diarra would be the one player from Pompey I would go all out to get. As much as I like JD, as my old man always says, never go back.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Diarra & Defoe please, with Scott Parker as a possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The three D's would be great. Distin is a great CH, Diarra an excellent DM, and Defoe an excellent striker. Would Defoe come back, knowing he'll be mixed between 3 different strikers again? Who knows, though that whole transfer seemed to go without a hitch and he never once said a bad thing about Spurs. I'd have him back in a heartbeat though.

But you're right, we need proven EPL experience, and seeing as Portsmouth might be one of the clubs looking to raise a few quid, we should go there first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

SuprSi wrote: »
    The three D's would be great. Distin is a great CH, Diarra an excellent DM, and Defoe an excellent striker. Would Defoe come back, knowing he'll be mixed between 3 different strikers again? Who knows, though that whole transfer seemed to go without a hitch and he never once said a bad thing about Spurs. I'd have him back in a heartbeat though.

But you're right, we need proven EPL experience, and seeing as Portsmouth might be one of the clubs looking to raise a few quid, we should go there first!

dont think defoe wanted to leave but he had an international career to think about,
    id love him back. the way he left was to play regular football. we cant hold that against him.
    jermaine defoe he is a yiddo!

the other 2 would be a great bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I also think the three D's would also be worth a look but wouldn't mind also if the money was right:

Doyle
    Dunne
    Scott Parker
    Peter Crouch (I just think he could do a job for us I dunno why cause I dont rate him)
    Valencia (excuse spelling)
    I would not want Beckham here for free and if people paid us to play him. It wouldn't be worth the circus.

TBF to redknabb he does know his way around the transfer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lets learn to walk before we can run, shall we? The squad needs expanding, but too many new faces and Redknapp is gonna have to bed them down while battling for points. The priorities have to be an experienced CB, a ball winning midfielder, and a striker. Anything else should be secondary.

The three Ds would tick all the boxes for me, but I'd be surprised if Pompey would do business for all three. I reckon the striker needs to be very pacey, so I'd favour Defoe and Diarra if we had to leave one behind.

John Utaka at Pompey might be a value for money option as a squad player, and Adams might be favourable to him leaving as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

diarra would be perfect and defoe well we all know what he is capable of.
    Pompey would be holding out for big money though and the last thing needed in the january window would be protracted negotiations.

If neither were a runner what about kevin nolan as a dm ,doyle might be an option with pav or bent,hopefully pav will have come good by january .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Fratton Fred made an interesting point in the soccer forum, that a player can't re-sign with a club within a year, hence Defoe can't re-sign with Spurs until Feb 1st, by which time, the Jan window will be closed. Likewise with Crouch, he can't move until the summer because of the no more than 2 clubs in one season rule.

See my post on the soccer forum charlie, if you count forward from 31st Jan 2008 then 31st Jan 2009 is a year and a day after he signed for Pompey (depending on what time he signed during the day)

And 2008 was a leap year and all...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I'd love to see Defoe back and I think Diarra would be an excellent addition.

Doyle....yes.....but only if we don't get Defoe

Beckham.......no way....the man creates a circus wherever he is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

See my post on the soccer forum charlie, if you count forward from 31st Jan 2008 then 31st Jan 2009 is a year and a day after he signed for Pompey (depending on what time he signed during the day)

And 2008 was a leap year and all...;)

Listening to talk****E right now, and Danny Kelly (Spuds fan I think) said that the FA ruled out a Defoe move already, because his actual transfer from Spurs -> Pompey didn't happen until this summer (If you remember it was originally a loan because it went through an hour or so late on the Jan deadline day). So whatever about it being a year from Feb. he definitely won't be eligible if its a year from June.

;););)

Listening to talk****E right now, and Danny Kelly (Spuds fan I think) said that the FA ruled out a Defoe move already, because his actual transfer from Spurs -> Pompey didn't happen until this summer (If you remember it was originally a loan because it went through an hour or so late on the Jan deadline day). So whatever about it being a year from Feb. he definitely won't be eligible if its a year from June.

;););)

may also be a loan deal til a further deal then no?

;););)

You are right cha', the deal was a loan deal followed by a permanent move.

Your timeline is a bit off though...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/obscure-rule-hits-defoe-spurs-trip-798908.html
    By Sam Wallace
    Friday, 21 March 2008

Jermain Defoe has been told by the Premier League that he is not eligible to play for Portsmouth against his former club Tottenham at White Hart Lane tomorrow. The England striker has fallen victim to an obscure new rule that was agreed upon by all Premier League clubs at their AGM last summer. It dictates that any player who converts a loan move into a permanent transfer must abide by the rules of the original loan for the rest of the season.

Defoe's move from Spurs to Portsmouth on the transfer window deadline at the end of January was originally a loan – done so in order that the two clubs could complete the paperwork in time. Most loans have the proviso that the player cannot play against the club that holds his registration. In the following week after the transfer window closed the loan was duly upgraded to a permanent transfer for around £7.5m and Defoe became a Portsmouth player.

Players and clubs are allowed to convert loans into permanent moves outside the window because Fifa does not recognise loan moves. The world governing body regards them as the same as a normal transfer.

The 25-year-old would have been able to play against Spurs had he moved originally within January on a permanent deal. Instead, Portsmouth later admitted that they had agreed to a loan as a bridging arrangement while they got all the paperwork in place. With six goals in six games for his new club, Defoe is likely to be missed by Portsmouth.

IIRC, Redknapp was quoted saying something similar on the BBC website just before that game in late March.

Furthermore, and bearing in mind I'm no expert in these matters:

In relation to rule L.19:
    A Club which transfers or cancels the registration of a Player may not apply to register that Player within a year except with the prior written consent of the Board.

Rule L.1 states:
    A Player shall not play for a Club in a League Match unless that Club holds his registration with effect from at least one hour before kick-off.

and rule L.20 states:
    A Player shall not apply to be registered by more than one Club (or club) at any one time and the Secretary shall refuse any application made in breach of this Rule.

Which would suggest that Defoe's registration was held by Pompey from the time the loan agreement was completed, which was within the January transfer window. In addition, the PL rulebooks refers to loans as "temporary transfers", which "mean the transfer of a contract registration effected in accordance with Rules M.6 to M.10"

Unless I'm missing something, that means Defoes registration had to have been held by Pompey by at the very latest 1hr before his first appearance for Pompey in the PL (which was a 3pm kick-off on 2nd Febuary, so therefore at the latest 2pm). Funnily enough, since the 31st of January is a Saturday, the transfer window won't shut until the next working day at a time to be determined by the PL board, which means the window won't close until the 2nd of February...;) If the Independent's article is correct, then the loan move would have to have been submitted by the end of last year's January window anyway.

Unless it's a requirement for a players' registration to be transferred back to the selling club before a loan move can be made permanent, then I don't see how Spurs would be prohibited from resigning Defoe on the last day of the next window.

You little winker...

p.s. here's the rule book if you want to have a look.

so defoe can sign
    get in there

I say again:
    bearing in mind I'm no expert in these matters

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Parker + Diarra + Defoe = a permanent boner for me.
    If I was being greedy I'd add Lescott and Arteta to the list.
    Com'on Arry, get on that mobile and set these up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

If we are still in the uefa cup in Jan then what would be the point of signing Defoe because he would be cup tied for that competition.then we would have pav and defoe cup tied.wouldn't make much sense would it..

UEFA Cup or not, something tells me we will be concentrating our efforts on matters closer to home, and if signing the half pint helps keeps us up I'll happily fcuk the Euro games off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Parker + Diarra + Defoe = a permanent boner for me.
    If I was being greedy I'd add Lescott and Arteta to the list.
    Com'on Arry, get on that mobile and set these up.

Can we get rid of Zokora and play Huddlestone in every game at the same time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

I can see 'Arry lining up a raid for Diarra and pulling it off but I don't see Portsmouth letting Defoe come back. A left winger and a forward would be nice too, but I wonder are any of Stalteri, Boateng, Ghaly, Taarabt or Rocha set for a dramatic rebirth of their Spurs careers seeing as they're all back in the first team squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

I think you will find there have been one or two players that HAVE indeed moved even within the year! The key here is "except with the prior written consent of the Board". This happens all the time, and if Pompey and Spurs both want it to happen it will!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

tippspur wrote: »
    If we are still in the uefa cup in Jan then what would be the point of signing Defoe because he would be cup tied for that competition.then we would have pav and defoe cup tied.wouldn't make much sense would it..
    But then again, what quality striker will not be cup tied at this point in the season - I agree, EUFA has to be sacrificed this season, just stay up and try and get a cup for Europe next year!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

There is a way around it anyway lads, If you remember the same thing a couple of years ago with west ham and us buying zamora, He basically canceled his contracted so he was a free agent and then signed for us I think a player can do that twice a year.

Advertisement