Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV starting to side with Atheists?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Anyone else noticed this trend lately? More and more I'm watching shows where religion is either mocked or made out to be blatantly hokum.

Off the top of my head, these shows have dealt with subjects that either mock religion or go to lengths to show it isn't factual.

1. The Big Bang Theory
    2. Greek
    3. CSI
    4. Heroes

There are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Anyone else think this also? Why do you think this is? A high proportion of writers being Atheist? Or a general downturn in the viewers interest in religion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm, I haven't watched all the shows you mention, but I can't say I've seen anything that mocks or shows religion out to be wrong in Heroes, or CSI (although I've watched that sparingly).

Could you give some examples of this mockery you're talking about?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I must have watched a million episodes of CSI, and while one or two of the team might have alluded to not being religious I recall the main man Grissom, took a different view. More here.

The only show I can think of that openly mocks religion is South Park, which just grates on me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Hmm, I haven't watched all the shows you mention, but I can't say I've seen anything that mocks or shows religion out to be wrong in Heroes, or CSI (although I've watched that sparingly).

Could you give some examples of this mockery you're talking about?

Ok, examples:

Big Bang Theory - They use the religious nature of Sheldons mother to poke fun at her refusal to accept science

Greek - Rusty's roomate Dale is a fundamental Christian, whom they poke fun at for his strict ideals

CSI - There have been numerous episodes where its either advocating evolution as fact (why wouldn't it) or its talking about how God could not exist, seeing the allowed evils in the world. It's been made clear that Sidle is an Atheist, and also that Brass really has no time for believers or God.

Heroes - This season at least they started an arc where an individual was healed and believed his powers came from God, only to be told that science had given him his powers.

Also, Family Guy openly mocks religion but then that's to be expected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

House

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

CSI is laced with religion, esp catholicsm. grissom is a lapsed/ex catholic. in CSI miami horatio is a catholic and has been to confession as well sometimes.

Grissom is more questioning of religon, he is quoted as saying something along the lines of 'I dont carry that guilt any more' but he hangs onto his mums rosary beads all the same.

edit; the more i read that the more i realise I am turning into grissom, just without the cushy job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

robindch wrote: »
    House
    Some of the house vs god episodes are quite funny, have you been tempted to electrocute yourself yet robin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Spyral wrote: »
    CSI is laced with religion, esp catholicsm. grissom is a lapsed/ex catholic. in CSI miami horatio is a catholic and has been to confession as well sometimes.

Grissom is more questioning of religon, he is quoted as saying something along the lines of 'I dont carry that guilt any more' but he hangs onto his mums rosary beads all the same.

edit; the more i read that the more i realise I am turning into grissom, just without the cushy job

There was one episode where Grissom was talking to a priest and said he hadn't stopped believing in God, but that he didn't agree with being given rules that he had to live by. Which, come to think of it, is pretty funny since his entire life is devoted to catching people and putting them in prison for failing to obey the rules that the State gives them to live by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

House
    My hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

PDN wrote: »
    There was one episode where Grissom was talking to a priest and said he hadn't stopped believing in God, but that he didn't agree with being given rules that he had to live by. Which, come to think of it, is pretty funny since his entire life is devoted to catching people and putting them in prison for failing to obey the rules that the State gives them to live by.

Well here's the difference, in one case we all agree the rules we will live by in an open democratic process, in the other one man heads up a mountain, makes up an arbitrary set of rules, pretends that "God told him", then demands everyone live by *those* rules. Subtle I know, but I'm sure if you try you'll get it.

Asiaprod wrote: »
    My hero.

Hardly a good role model for a Buddhist, I would have thought? ;)

I must admit I have a soft spot for Dr Gregory House. My sense of humour is similar to his (except for his penchant for racial insults).

Yesterday my daughter and I watched the episode where he treats a teenage faith healer. The score on his whiteboard ended up as reading House 3 God 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Add Scrubs, Doctor Who and Torchwood to your list. I think it's got more to do with there being a far more prominent atheist market now than there would have been even fifteen years ago, as well perhaps as producers more willing to take risks on religious subjects.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Don't watch CSI myself, but if it's any good, perhaps this ex-catholic Grissom chap just doesn't like an elderly, unelected, self-selecting and exclusively male club dictating rules concerning how people should, say, have sex, something that the club's members are supposed to have no (...er...) first-hand experience of?

If he's an atheist, then he's more likely to think that rules should be decided by the people who have to live by them, or decided by people who are chosen by the people who have to live by them.

Not a difficult distinction to appreciate.

Don't watch CSI myself, but if it's any good, perhaps this ex-catholic Grissom chap just doesn't like an elderly, unelected, self-selecting and exclusively male club dictating rules concerning how people should, say, have sex, something that the club's members are supposed to have no (...er...) first-hand experience of?

If he's an atheist, then he's more likely to think that rules should be decided by the people who have to live by them, or decided by people who are chosen by the people who have to live by them.

Not a difficult distinction to appreciate.

If he's an atheist then he's obviously a pretty confused one to say that he hasn't stopped believing in God.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

House is great - he does us Atheists no favours really as he's an arrogant, selfish SOB but he can be very funny.

"You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic." - my favourite line.

As to the original question, i see no evidence for a trend of Atheism acceptance on tv. Mocking religion is so rare as to have shock value. We have a way to go before it becomes acceptable to mock religion openly, in the same way that it's ok to mock just about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Stargate SG1. Pretty atheistic as it goes declaring all gods and god-like figures to be litle more than the anthropomorphic extent of Carl Sagans maxim, "any science sufficiently advanced ..."

As to the original question, i see no evidence for a trend of Atheism acceptance on tv. Mocking religion is so rare as to have shock value. We have a way to go before it becomes acceptable to mock religion openly, in the same way that it's ok to mock just about anything else.

So atheism acceptance = mocking religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

So atheism acceptance = mocking religion?

I wouldn't say that Atheism equates to mocking religion but I suppose anyone who does mock religion is more than likely of the atheistic persuasion.

I'm as guilty as the next atheist for mocking religion though so there is a close relationship.

I, for one, am very very glad that many American produced shows are mocking religion. It's about time it was put in it's place there. We (Ireland and the UK) have been mocking religion through mainstream enterainment for quite some time.

As much a travesty as it will be, I'm looking forward to the American remake of Father Ted, to see what the American reaction is!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anyone see this episode of Transformers from the 80s?

Basically calls religion 'an excuse for high taxes and harsh laws'. pretty deep for a kids cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Galvasean wrote: »
    Anyone see this episode of Transformers from the 80s?

Basically calls religion 'an excuse for high taxes and harsh laws'. pretty deep for a kids cartoon.

I am completely opposed to young kids being indoctrinated into believing that there is no God :pac:

Anyway, I watch Heroes religiously, and while Nathan finding out that God was not involved in his miraculous recovery was not unexpected, there is certainly enough positive references to God throughout the series for it not to be considered an atheist vehicle.

Besides, I could well imagine that the writers will fudge any absolutes when confirming or denying God's existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

in shark james woods says ''i dont do god'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just watch this opener for the latest series of Gundam:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I
    Anyway, I watch Heroes religiously, and while Nathan finding out that God was not involved in his miraculous recovery was not unexpected, there is certainly enough positive references to God throughout the series for it not to be considered an atheist vehicle.
    That really depends on what flavour of religion you go for. If you are a YEC whackjob then the fact that it pushes evolution episode after episode may give the impression that it is part of the atheist materialist conspiracy.

MrP

Slightly off topic, and if Dades thinks too much so he can always delete this contribution from a mischevious theist, but does anyone remember the Perishers comic strip? Some crabs constructed a religion around 'the eyeballs in the sky' caused by a dog peering into their rock pool.

eyeballs.gif

Classic stuff!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What is this "off-topic" concept of which you speak? :p

Oooh - life beyond the pooliverse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

stargate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mojawoja

All the Star Treks - Voyager in particular, the crew accidentaly distroy a planets religion

But to be honest there's a gizillion more movies and shows that support the existance of ghosts and ghouls.

Anyways, if 100% of people don't believe in Saturn, Jupiter, Thor, Seth etc. etc., then whats the big deal in saying that Yahweh doesn't exist either? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

mojawoja wrote: »

Anyways, if 100% of people don't believe in Saturn, Jupiter,

What are you one of those planetary deniers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

On the other side, has anyone noticed that discovery channel airs an ungodly amount of biased "documentaries" about ghosts, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mojawoja

Galvasean wrote: »
    What are you one of those planetary deniers?
    Actually the exact oppostite, poor aul Pluto :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Slightly off topic, and if Dades thinks too much so he can always delete this contribution from a mischevious theist, but does anyone remember the Perishers comic strip? Some crabs constructed a religion around 'the eyeballs in the sky' caused by a dog peering into their rock pool.

eyeballs.gif

Classic stuff!

The Simpsons did that once, too, didn't they? Where Lisa accidentally created life, and they worshipped her as god and feared Bart as the devil.

Quote of the episode - Lisa: *gasp* I've created Lutherans!

Advertisement