Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strating in Graphic Design and producing a protfolio

Options
  • 28-10-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Howya,

Having spent 3 years since college (computer science) working as a programmer of sorts i have been recently thinking seriously about trying to get into graphic design. It's really been somehing i've been very excited by and interested in all along and i have spent most of the free time i have in front of a PC playing with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign recreating designs techniques i like and designing a small amount of original stuff for friends bands etc...

I dont have a college background in design but reckon i have a good self tought and developed awareness of modern and design practices and aesthetics.

I'm wondering whether anyone in the know can advise if there are many opportunites to break into the business in dublin. Also, I'm currently trying to put a portfolio together and am looking for any advice/tips anyone currently working as a graphic designer can give me? Ie. what form should a portfolio take (i have been thinking about getting it printed up as a booklet i could hand out) and what kind of content it should include. I had been thinking about doing up some 'mock' content for say redesign of an existing corporate brand but it then occured to me that there might legal issues here once i'd put that work into circulation so if i am to mock up design pieces should they be based on fictional companies/events... ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You should post up some of your work for a design critique. It's perfectly fine to create mock content to get a juniour job, though obviously try get real jobs by volunteering or doing jobs for friends.

You say you've a good awareness of design practices, and that's good, but it's still unlikely that being a hobbiest designer for a few years will compete with someone who's studied it for years. You need to work on the core design skills, like drawing, layout, contrast, typography and colour theory.

Alot of people are able to make a few cool things in photoshop, but that doesn't make them a designer. A designer needs ot be able to create excellent solutions that work with real world requirements and design in an appropriate style to fit the brief at hand.

Ultimately, the main reaosn you'll get a job in design is based on your portfolio, so that's one advantage that makes it easy to get into the industry. It's probably not the best time ot get a job, but if you're doign this for the long haul, then you can work at it for the next few months you'll probably get somewhere.

I'd say work on your core skills, and don't take them as given, and look at doing a masters in something design related, being exposed to other designers and beign pushed and challenged would be very good for someone in your position.

g'luck

Advertisement