Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Gym Prices?

• 28-10-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am going to re-join the gym having given it a bit of a gap for the 'good weather' season!:o

However at the moment everytime I ring the big new gym on the way out of town or ask people who use it about it - From what i can gather nearly everyone I have spoken to and the gym it self has given me a different price for membership everytime I call!

I got one price of €890.00 one for €525.00 and I know a girl who paid €490.00 - these are all for one year and none of the prices involved include a group/work payment scheme.

It is all individual pricing for one year.

I also got a quote for 39E per month and 150 joining fee - which isnt bad at all.

Anyway question is - Is anyone a member here and what do you think of the place? and if you want to say what ur membership rate is I'd be interested to know!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

What is the name of the Gym?
    Is it the Kingfisher on the Tramore raod?

If it is Kingfisher the annual cost is 500 Euro + joining fee (100 Euro if you pay the entire fee up front but I think it's closer to 200 Euro if not paying up front).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cill Chainnigh

I'm a member at the Kingfisher since it opened last Christmas. I know people that paid between €515 and €700 to join. It seems that it is worth bargaining. I paid €515 at the time.

The gym is well equiped for my needs - mostly using cycling, rowing & threadmills. I've heard that the weights section is not the best for more advanced type body builder people (not enough mirrors for them!!!). Overall, the gym is good.

The swimming pool is also good. The hydro pool is not so good. It is also cold & sometimes appears dirty. The steam room is only ok. The roof is very high & you have to stand up to get a blast of the steam. The sauna is good. At the start of the year, the sauna, steam room & hydro pool were out of order regularly, but that seems to have improved of late.

The changing rooms are cramped at peak times, but generally ok. The showers are a disaster - freezing one second and roasting the next second.

Overall, I find it very good. It opens from 6am to 10pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 6pm on weekends & Bank Holidays etc.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Gotta agree with everything Cill Chainnigh says!

Pool - cold usually although a bit warmer lately.
    Sauna - was always broken down but works now.
    Steam Room - Have to stand on the second level.
    Showers - boiling hot or freezing cold in an ongoing cycle.

That said, I use the pool 3 or 4 days a week and find it good.

Cant comment on the Gym because I dont use it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lots of stuff about gyms already, but I dont think we covered prices much...

Do you mind if I merge your topic with one of the newer ones OP? I fear this is just going to be a repeat of them, with little information on pricing.

Let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

have to agree with the shower issue, its very annoying to say the least, overall the place is nice , but to have them cold one minute , warm the next , burn ya the next and then back to freezing, and its been going on for a good while now, would i be wrong in saying more than 2 months ???

my membership is up at christmas, im gonna think hard before i renew it as they are quite slow to resolve issues when they arise.

after a hard lash in the gym, a nice hot shower is the least i expect for a 550 membership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Check out the Waterford Crystal sports centre prices at http://www.wcslc.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

Woodlands 600euro per year has everything. def recomend it

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jayp

Definitely worth haggling with Kingfisher, I managed to get away with not paying the joining fee and I know of a few people who managed to get student membership and they havent seen the inside of a college in years.

deiseff wrote: »
    Woodlands 600euro per year has everything. def recomend it

i have not been to the gym but the traffic in the area alone would turn me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Ok here's what I know about some of the gyms.

In the Woodlands, once you pay your membership (not sure of exact figure) If you want to do some of the classes, IE, Circuit Training, Areobics etc. This is extra.

In the Kingfisher, once you pay your membership (not sire exact figure). The classes like, Boxercise, Circuit Training, Spinning, Aerobics etc. are all included.

In the WIT, the years membership is €200 (don't quote me, but definitely not over 250). However you do not get a pool, sauna or steam room. There is nice warm showers and you do get all the equipment that the Kingfisher, Waterford Crystal and Woodlands offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Hi All,

Thanks a mil for all the replies and info - it's definately helpful.
    Traffic on the Dunmore Road would put me off the woodlands but I have heard the gym is nice.
    Goin to head to KF and try to haggle though I am useless at that!

Thanks Again.

bring someone with you that is good at haggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

depaor wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks a mil for all the replies and info - it's definately helpful.
    Traffic on the Dunmore Road would put me off the woodlands but I have heard the gym is nice.
    Goin to head to KF and try to haggle though I am useless at that!

Thanks Again.

You dont need tp be good at haggeling lad When I went to join i Didn't know you could get it cheaper and I would have happily paid the money to join the gym (See the ticker below for why :) ) I just genuinely didn't have the money on me to join and said I will be back. Then he strated knocking down the price, So just say you'll be back and he should do you a deal. I think the lad I was talking too was Tony he seemed grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Well done and thanks for the advice Z

BTW I'm a girl!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

ziedth wrote: »
    You dont need tp be good at haggeling lad...
    depaor wrote: »

BTW I'm a girl!:)

Doh...i hates that :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

FYI - there are only certain classes that are free for members at the Kingfisher Club. Boxercise, Pilates and Body Pump are classed as 'courses' so you have to pay, I think it's €54 for 6 weeks. I think members are boycotting these ones and just attending the free ones, that's what I'm doing anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MaKa

ziedth wrote: »
    You dont need tp be good at haggeling lad When I went to join i Didn't know you could get it cheaper and I would have happily paid the money to join the gym (See the ticker below for why :) ) I just genuinely didn't have the money on me to join and said I will be back. Then he strated knocking down the price, So just say you'll be back and he should do you a deal. I think the lad I was talking too was Tony he seemed grand.

My renewal is about to come up too. What did you end up paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

MaKa wrote: »
    My renewal is about to come up too. What did you end up paying?

Its a little different because there are two of us and i'm paying weekly but in total it will be 540 each and i'm pretty sure he only took 50 each for the admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gotcha09

waterford crystal offer 20 visits for 90 euro its a great deal especially if you are not going to be using the gym all year round. ur not wasting a couple of hundred euro on a place that you may only use a couple of times a year.. when the visits run out you just top it up again and the card is valid for 2 years..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

The Ultimate Gym (Billy O'Sullivans) has opened a new premises in the Northern Extension of the industrial estate next to the weight lifting club. 20 euro membership for the year and 7 euro pay as you go. Classes every night of the week loads of bags and have treadmills,bikes,weights,circuit training and the various martial arts with great cardio circuits especially in the Muay Thai class. Have a female only class on a Wednesday night at 6.30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

Where on the northern extension do you know??

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

Billy's new place is beside the Waterford Weightlifting Club. the last set of units befort the sorting post office !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

does anyone know if the pool in waterford crystal is still open for business these days?

any can you just turn up for the aqua aerobics or do you have to have an assessment or something first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Are there any gyms around Waterford that allow you to pay per usage,
    or offer something like a weekly pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

does anyone know if the pool in waterford crystal is still open for business these days?

Yes it's open for business as usual.
    Are there any gyms around Waterford that allow you to pay per usage,
    or offer something like a weekly pass?

Waterford Crystal, see www.wcslc.ie

Advertisement