Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shanahans Onion rings

Options
  • 28-10-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

does anyone have a recipe that comes close to Shanahans on the green onion rings please please;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The really crispy small ones?

I think it's just loads and loads of flour and then fry them up in a pan with oil (deep fry).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Bump!

I found a recipe for onion strings that might just be as close as the ones you get in Shanahan's.
    I'll be trying it out this weekend, but I wonder how long will it keep as I want to do it about a couple of hours in advance before serving them with Roast Beef. Will it go soggy easily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You could make your strings & then double fry/par fry them them (ie fry at a low temp first to cook through then fry in hotter oil before serving to crisp up) or make up the batter earlier and fry them just before serving. If by making them a couple of hours earlier though you mean completely frying them off & keeping them warm till serving they will be greasy & soggy unfortunately.

I normally double fry my chips, but not sure about something that's battered. Won't the batter fall off if I were to fry them first in medium heat oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I make amazingly delicious onion rings from a recipe I got somewhere on boards, actually. I can't remember where.

Slice onions thinly and allow to rest in buttermilk for 30 mins up to overnight.

Drain from buttermilk, dredge in seasoned flour and deep fry in vegetable oil until crisp. AMAZING.

• Advertisement

I made them last night and it was a huge hit with the guests! I served them with Roast Rib of Beef on the bone, Yorkshire Pud & all the other trimmings and gravy.
    I cooked the onion strings just before serving, but found that they stayed crispy up to an hour and a half after.
    I'll be frying a new batch later for leftover roast beef sarnie.
    YUM!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I make amazingly delicious onion rings from a recipe I got somewhere on boards, actually. I can't remember where.

Slice onions thinly and allow to rest in buttermilk for 30 mins up to overnight.

Drain from buttermilk, dredge in seasoned flour and deep fry in vegetable oil until crisp. AMAZING.

i made these for our NYE feast. I think i have made a rod for my back, first words out of his mouth on NYD was "so are you making onion rings for breakfast":(

they were amazing and so easy

Advertisement