Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHICH SAT NAV TO BUY? ADVICE APPRECIATED.

Options
  • 28-10-2008 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a sat nav for use in Spain a few times a year, also Northern Ireland a few times a year, possibly UK (mainland). Any advice or suggestions? I'll be honest with you I don't have a huge amount of spare cash at the moment, so please don't suggest the 500 euro ones!!!

Apologies if there's a recent thread on here already regarding this query.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need to buy a unit with all of Europe and if you don't want any other bells and whistles then the Garmin Nuvi 250 or 255 is the one for you. The 255 speaks the actual street names ('turn left into Sycamore Drive'), the 250 just says 'turn left', the 250 will be cheaper as it's a slightly older model but the maps and navigation s/w are the same on all the models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I got the Nuvi 255w last weekend and I am very happy with it. Very easy to use and it's very well supported in terms of availability of POIs and extra software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I use a Tom Tom One in France and Italy and find it pretty good. Cost €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Hagar wrote: »
    I use a Tom Tom One in France and Italy and find it pretty good. Cost €200.

Check out your local Tescos for cheap TomTom Ones, ask at the Customer service desk as that's where they keep stock, they may not be on display.

If they still have stock they are about €80 (still have some in Mullingar at least) watch out though there are two versions, one with only UK and Ireland maps and one with EU maps.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

I like the sound of 80 euro in tesco. Going to drop into them this evening and see what they have. Thanks for the help everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sonic74f

Hiya, i was looking at the tom tom latest v4 one for Ireland and UK, are these good and can the EU maps be loaded to it at a later stage? Does this cost much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Would recommend getting one with full uk postcodes. Used an Aldi Medion one in UK last week and although good when getting finding house numbers in an estate with first 4 chars of postcode it was next to useless when I wanted to find a building on a road when house number was not available - ie Policestation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

sonic74f wrote: »
    Hiya, i was looking at the tom tom latest v4 one for Ireland and UK, are these good and can the EU maps be loaded to it at a later stage? Does this cost much?

You can customise your maps , I can advise you if you need . PM me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

I was looking at the Tom Tom one V4 around €140 seems pretty good but cant really find much comparision sites between Garmin and Tom Tom

Advertisement