Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lunatic on M1 on Sunday at 12.15..

• 28-10-2008 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

did anyone hear of the lunatic on the M1 on Sunday afternoon? I'd love to find out what happened.

I was just about to turn off the M1 at Julianstown on Sunday afternoon when I looked in disbelief ahead at the sight of a car coming towards me in the right hand lane. I turned off the motorway but looked in my rear view mirrors & saw cars dodging this car while flashing their lights at it..

Did anyone else hear about this or what happened? This person should be locked up for what they did, it was so so careless & reckless & could have killed people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I was on the M1 on Monday, and there were more than a few lunatics on it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

his person should be locked up for what they did

Did you report him, take his number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

G_unit wrote: »
    did anyone hear of the lunatic on the M1 on Sunday afternoon? I'd love to find out what happened.

I was just about to turn off the M1 at Julianstown on Sunday afternoon when I looked in disbelief ahead at the sight of a car coming towards me in the right hand lane. I turned off the motorway but looked in my rear view mirrors & saw cars dodging this car while flashing their lights at it..

Did anyone else hear about this or what happened? This person should be locked up for what they did, it was so so careless & reckless & could have killed people.

Was he speeding ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The other day I commented to somebody about how stupid the 'wrong way turn back' signs they have on the entrance slip roads to the M8 are [you can only see them if you're driving the wrong direction on the carriageway]...

I guess I was the stupid one...

Somewhat embarassingly, after reading about this, it seems we actually DO need them!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anyone know where Jim McDaid was last weekend?

• Advertisement

BluntGuy wrote: »
    The other day I commented to somebody about how stupid the 'wrong way turn back' signs they have on the entrance slip roads to the M8 are [you can only see them if you're driving the wrong direction on the carriageway]...

I guess I was the stupid one...

Somewhat embarassingly, after reading about this, it seems we actually DO need them!

Problem is; they assume knowledge of English (or Irish) to be understood, better if large "No Entry" be used instead.

A proper one that ALL Drivers understand
    noentry.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Problem is; they assume knowledge of English (or Irish) to be understood, better if large "No Entry" be used instead.

noentry.gif

The strange angle to the rest fo the road you've been driving on is a clue aswell.

TBH most poeple I've heard of doing this are doddery old folk who speakt da lingo. The rest tend to be deliberate.

One way or another it takes a special kind of idiot to drive down on on ramp by mistake.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Drivers who do it shouldn't be allowed drive. The points against this type of idiocy is sow low that its disgusting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

People who complain about the lack of 'WRONG WAY, TURN BACK' signs at junctions are morons.[IMO] Any decent driver would know that if they are on a roundabout and there is an extremely sharp corner that goes back on its self, they shouldnt take it. Thats how your man died on the Naas Road last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

donvito99 wrote: »
    People who complain about the lack of 'WRONG WAY, TURN BACK' signs at junctions are morons.[IMO] Any decent driver would know that if they are on a roundabout and there is an extremely sharp corner that goes back on its self, they shouldnt take it. Thats how your man died on the Naas Road last year.

Exactly, surely it shold be obvious to any drivers with any sort of sense that allowable exists off a round about should guide you off, not intentional try to stop you through having to taking a very tight turn.

Didn't the person realise that the slip road was going down the wrong side anyways ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

In fairness - the existing Irish no-entry sign is perfectly clear. A crossed out straight ahead arrow. If someone takes that as an indication they can go straight ahead, it doesn't matter what language they speak, they shouldn't be on the roads.

The "Wrong Way - Turn Back" are simply a sensible extra measure given the serious nature of entering a DC by the exit. Of course, it being text is sub-par for signage (and a legacy from considering only native English speakers on the roads). Ideally the no-entry signs should just be repeated, perhaps with a flourescent backing (or even flashing amber lights like in Northern Ireland).

Zoney wrote: »
    In fairness - the existing Irish no-entry sign is perfectly clear. A crossed out straight ahead arrow. If someone takes that as an indication they can go straight ahead, it doesn't matter what language they speak, they shouldn't be on the roads.

Not when they are in poor condition with the cross line faded, at night they can look like (Irish) "one way" signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Remember folks, negative speed also kills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The 'Wrong Way Turn Back' signs I saw were on the ENTRY ON RAMP, but facing the opposite way. The only possible way you'd see them is if you decided to do a u-turn (after deciding that you don't really want to use it). or you'd driven for 25 km on the wrong side of the carriageway after entering it incorrectly! Perhaps the clearway (X) signs should be used at the entrance as well - to indicate no-stopping at any time. However, it would be assumed that anybody who has done their driving test properly knows that you NEVER STOP when you're on a motorway and you certainly don't u-turn if you've gone on the m-way by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anyone know why we have a different No Entry sign to the rest of Europe? Just to be different, or is there a genuine reason? Also, they are generally quite small, as opposed to No Entry signs everywhere else, which generally tend to be a) much larger than other similar signs, and b) illuminated unlike here. For such an important sign, they could do with being made much more obvious than they generally are.

Don't know, but it's simply stupid to have two signs that look similar and have completely opposite meanings.

Even worse when they are worn, they can be so easily misdead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I think Ireland may have switched over to modern signage earlier than some other countries, in the early 50s. Some of the signs (e.g. Irish one-way sign) are actually options from an international signage convention (in the same way that diamond and triangle signs are both options for warning/hazard signage).

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭orbital83

TBH most poeple I've heard of doing this are doddery old folk who speakt da lingo.

Yep - met an oul dear going the wrong way on a roundabout on the N4 the weekend before last. (The first roundabout on the Dromod Rooskey bypass).

You just don't know what you're gonna meet out there...
    Leitrim, in particular, is one hotbed of bad driving.

Advertisement