Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim Card Registration Failed with N95 8GB but not with Vodafone SIM

• 28-10-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a Nokia N95 8GB (original from Vodafone) that I debranded for a friend of mine because:

1. It's covered with Vodafone crap and is only upgradable to v.20.xx.xx via the Nokia Updater.

2. I unlocked it from Vodafones Website (very handy) because he's changing to Meteor.

Now, I rebranded it to v.30.xx.xx (EURO1 - 0534841) and with his and any other Vodafone SIM Card, it works perfectly. It was unlocked no problem and is accepted with any SIM but I have tried my Meteor and another mates Meteor SIM in it and I always get "Sim Card Registration Failed".

Now after I unlocked it (and before I rebranded it) the coverage would come up no problem but it wouldn't make or take any calls.

Haven't tried it with a O2 SIM but I get the feeling it will be the same. Any ideas? Don't believe it's stolen BTW, he bought it off his cousin.

By the way, if anyone could post up their Product Code from their own Meteor N95 8GB, it would be great - I'll try upgrading to that version.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

check it's in dual mode in network settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Tried both ways, it's all the same. Got both EDGE and 3G Coverage but still the same. My SIM works perfectly with all other phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

Meteor code is
    N95-2 - 0566085 Meteor

I'd check the lock status with NSS (presumably you used that to debrand)

Locked Active: No - it's definately unlocked, I've re-entered the NAC and it tells me it has already had restricted removed.

Thanks for the Product Code, am trying that right now.

Unfortunately since it's already been upgraded to the latest version, it can't be updated (as it already is the latest version, kick in the teeth).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I think the phone is barred. Try a 3 sim card in it, 3 take ages to bar a phone. I can downgrade the firmware if need be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Username! wrote: »
    Tried both ways, it's all the same. Got both EDGE and 3G Coverage but still the same. My SIM works perfectly with all other phones.

Vodafone have edge? Since when?
    Or am I just confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Try contacting Meteor to see if they can check if the phone has been blacklisted.

strecker wrote: »
    Vodafone have edge? Since when?
    Or am I just confused?

Sorry I meant just GSM, got used to saying EDGE with my iPhone. Swapping between GSM and UMTS is the same.
    I think the phone is barred. Try a 3 sim card in it, 3 take ages to bar a phone. I can downgrade the firmware if need be.
    How can you downgrade the FW? I've been Googling it all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Username! wrote: »
    How can you downgrade the FW? I've been Googling it all day.

You can do it with the right equipment. ;)

I'm not 100% but you maybe able to do it with Nemeses. Whatever firmware version you want to flash it with, use a lower version.

Example;
    1. Flash with 15.0.015 (Phone should not turn on after)
    2. Then flash with 20.0.016 (Phone should turn on)
    Try at your own risk. If you don't want to try it, I can downgrade the phone without issues.

• Advertisement

No I do want to try, have Nemesis and Phoenix installed, trying to use a guide I just found.

Would like to downgraded to 11.xx.xx so I can use the Meteor Product Code to upgrade with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mcintyre10

lads i know this question is always asked but will ya's just clear it up for me. well my gf is goin to boston soon and i asked her to get me an iphone 3g so i can bring it back and unlock it but its a bit annoying wi d contract thing and i just wanna know is der anyway she can get outta tat shop wi out signing tat stupid contract.biggrin.gifthanks lads, appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Mcintyre10 wrote: »
    lads i know this question is always asked but will ya's just clear it up for me. well my gf is goin to boston soon and i asked her to get me an iphone 3g so i can bring it back and unlock it but its a bit annoying wi d contract thing and i just wanna know is der anyway she can get outta tat shop wi out signing tat stupid contract.biggrin.gifthanks lads, appreciate it

Wrong thread, wrong language, and no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mcintyre10

cgarvey wrote: »
    how about u s**k my shlong ya posh G**bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

One month ban for Mcintyre10 for abusive language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

cgarvey wrote: »

the poster was new, had about 5 posts on boards, so rather than the unhelpful / smart response, a more helpful friendly tone would be better (check this forum's charter it clearly says posts should be 'helpful' and 'good natured') - prob would have got a thank you rather than the one you did...

next time you reply to a newbie's post on this forum please bear that in mind

Advertisement