Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imaginary Friends and Ear Piercing.

Options
  • 28-10-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Just a couple of questions; Does anyone elses child here have an Imaginary Friend? My 5 year old has one called "Lizzie", who is apparently younger than her by a year.

Also, is there a correct age for having a girls ears pierced?
    Me and her mother have often thought of buying her a nice earing/jewellery set for birthday or xmas, but she doesnt want her ears pierced at the moment, and we are wondering whether to just hang on and wait or try to persuade her.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bonzodog wrote: »
    Just a couple of questions; Does anyone elses child here have an Imaginary Friend? My 5 year old has one called "Lizzie", who is apparently younger than her by a year.

Me and her mother have often thought of buying her a nice earing/jewellery set for birthday or xmas, but she doesnt want her ears pierced at the moment, and we are wondering whether to just hang on and wait or try to persuade her.
    Dont try to persuade her on the earpiercing thing. I used to do earpiercing, and got parents who wanted it and kids who didnt, or were afraid. It was always horribly traumatic on the child. Imo, 5 is too young. It hurts, and little kids dont understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I find it really suprising that you would want to persuade your daughter to have her ears pierced at age 5? Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bob1970

di11on wrote: »
    I find it really suprising that you would want to persuade your daughter to have her ears pierced at age 5? Are you serious?

+1, the only young uns i see with pierced ears are pikeys,wait till shes older and wants to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

omg you are all mad..... My daughter is only 2 and a half, I had her ears pierced on the 8th September she didn't even flinch and thought she was the bees knees for days later. She loves talking about her earings whenever she sees me picking a pair out for myself.

I had my ears pierced at 3 months old.. Whats the problem with that?? btw I'm not a pikey!!

In regards to imaginarey friends. Its totally normal, I had 11 of them at once when I was young and it done me no harm. Don't people say it shows how creative a child is??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

she doesnt want her ears pierced at the moment, and we are wondering whether to just hang on and wait or try to persuade her.

Why would you even think of trying to persuade her because you think she should have her ears pierced?
    She is her own little person, when and if she ever feels the need to have them done, she will tell you in her own good time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

my son has had an imaginary friend from the age of 3 ... her name is Tenna and she has blond hair and blue eyes .... wishful thinking lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My daughter (3) has names for her hands and feet. Her left foot is the one who always needs to be rescued from falling off cliffs, into rivers etc. We never have to worry about packing toys for her:D

Crea wrote: »
    My daughter (3) has names for her hands and feet. Her left foot is the one who always needs to be rescued from falling off cliffs, into rivers etc. We never have to worry about packing toys for her:D
    ha ha ha ha thats funny... if only all kids were so self suficient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've two 5 year olds and they each have their own imaginary friends. Perfectly normal.

As for ear piercings - they've actually asked us recently to get their ears pierced (a younger girl in their class has them done) but we're reluctant. They even explained to us how ears are pierced :D I'd be curious as to whether others think their too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If they want it done and can explain why reasonbly and they know the risks and the pain and that they will have to care for the pericings then you have to choose to let them or set them a reasonable age for when they can get it done.

I have had the talk about gettign ears peiced and wearing make up with my 8 year old already.
    I told her that wearing such jewlery and make up is part of attracting somone you want to do kisses with and so is dressing sexily and if she is not ready to do those things then she should not dress as if she was.

So we have a sliding scale of ages at which she will be allowed do certain thing if she wants to at that age, she can wait until later if she wishes.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote: »
    As for ear piercings - they've actually asked us recently to get their ears pierced (a younger girl in their class has them done) but we're reluctant. They even explained to us how ears are pierced :D I'd be curious as to whether others think their too young.
    You know your kids better than anyone. Some kids are great, and dont blink. Some get one done and say no thanks to the second. (coming back a few days later, usually) I only ever had a problem when I saw kids coerced into it. Theyd get one ear done, bawl, and then mammy would attempt to hold them down and insist you pierce the second one. (No way). But if you are happy that your kids are ok and ready, then by all means go ahead, but give them room to back out all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Buy her a nice pair of clip on earings. Problem solved.

She is only 5. Dont' even think of persuading her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My 6 year old mentioned getting her ears pierced recently because apparantly she's the ONLY ONE :rolleyes: in school without them done. I said no. She can get them done when she's 12 if she wants. It hasn't been mentioned since.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd say 12 - if they want it.

I remember in school, age 6, one of the girls having problems with an infection from an ear ring. It kinda put me and the other kids off the idea.

It you want to make a 5 year old look pretty, who are you making her look pretty for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I wonder why it is that parents need to "persuade" their small children to get their ears pierced, but think it's a big deal when the same kids want to pierce something else when they are older?

(if I'm making any sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I told her that wearing such jewlery and make up is part of attracting somone you want to do kisses with and so is dressing sexily and if she is not ready to do those things then she should not dress as if she was.

did you really say this to your daughter? I really dont understand how you can connect wearing earrings at 8 years of age and attracting somebody for kisses???

I have a 7 year old who asked to have hers done one morning while we were in shopping. I saw no problem with it, explained to her that it would hurt but if she wanted them done then it was ok. She was fine through it all and loves them! Its ear piercing, not sexualisation or any such nonsense. When a girl is ready she'll get it done. If she never wants to, she doesnt have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I feel very strongly that ear piercing should not be legal until a child turns at least 12.

They cannot make up their own mind at a young age about these things. They dont think about what a stud gun shooting through their flesh will feel lik, they cant know how much it will hurt. Adults do, and to have it done to their babies and small children is, imo, sick and tantamount to child abuse.

What about getting a 3 year olds nose pierced? Or their tongue? There is no difference at all, none.

Peared wrote: »
    I feel very strongly that ear piercing should not be legal until a child turns at least 12.

They cannot make up their own mind at a young age about these things. They dont think about what a stud gun shooting through their flesh will feel lik, they cant know how much it will hurt. Adults do, and to have it done to their babies and small children is, imo, sick and tantamount to child abuse.

What about getting a 3 year olds nose pierced? Or their tongue? There is no difference at all, none.

I agree with you mostly, not completely sure about wxact appropriate age though.

Also a good thread to read with regards to piercing guns. They are not that great at all:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055287992

hazeler wrote: »
    Thaedydal wrote:
    did you really say this to your daughter? I really dont understand how you can connect wearing earrings at 8 years of age and attracting somebody for kisses???

I have a 7 year old who asked to have hers done one morning while we were in shopping. I saw no problem with it, explained to her that it would hurt but if she wanted them done then it was ok. She was fine through it all and loves them! Its ear piercing, not sexualisation or any such nonsense. When a girl is ready she'll get it done. If she never wants to, she doesnt have to.

This is interesting. I'm not sure if I would say this to my daughter but Thaed has a very good point. That is exactly what body adornment is about. Why else does someone get a piercing? If it's not to look better or look different then why? And if it is to look better or look different, then why should anyone under 12 (say) have it done?

Persuading a young child to have their ears pierced is indeed very strange to me.

You can do it because you like how it looks on you.
    That's why I've done mine :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My 11 yo has hers pierced twice in each ear.But then again look at the forum I moderate :D:D:D

Cant really blame her tbh--Im not that heavily pierced now but my wife would have had more facial piercings in the last year though.

On a serious note though she only got it done when she wanted to get them done.First ones were donr for her Communion and she got the second lot done in May.

Shes already planning another 2 in hr ears plus her tongue,labret etc which Ill personally bring her to a reputable place when shes old enough to get them done.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    My 11 yo has hers pierced twice in each ear.But then again look at the forum I moderate :D:D:D

Cant really blame her tbh--Im not that heavily pierced now but my wife would have had more facial piercings in the last year though.

On a serious note though she only got it done when she wanted to get them done.First ones were donr for her Communion and she got the second lot done in May.

Shes already planning another 2 in hr ears plus her tongue,labret etc which Ill personally bring her to a reputable place when shes old enough to get them done.

I think it's a very reasonable approach. I can never understand how people can keep a straight face while denying their kids to do something they do themselves a lot.

I don't mean leating them drink at 7 years of age, I mean reasonable stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes I did say that to my daughter and the same reasons were given for make up and perfume as well.

We have watched documentrys on animals attracting mates, done research on what are the different standards of beauty around the world and the different ways differen people and cultures have used dress and fashion to send different statements including how that young women used to wear thier hair long until the were of marrying age and then wear it up and how in orthodox jewish comunities women when they get married have thier hair cut short.

What we wear and how we wear give of different messages and signals out ourselves.
    I want both my kids to be aware of this and know different types of beatuy standards more then looking like a disney prince/ss, it also gives them a sense of modesty and how to dress for different occasions.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes I did say that to my daughter and the same reasons were given for make up and perfume as well.

We have watched documentrys on animals attracting mates, done research on what are the different standards of beauty around the world and the different ways differen people and cultures have used dress and fashion to send different statements including how that young women used to wear thier hair long until the were of marrying age and then wear it up and how in orthodox jewish comunities women when they get married have thier hair cut short.

What we wear and how we wear give of different messages and signals out ourselves.
    I want both my kids to be aware of this and know different types of beatuy standards more then looking like a disney prince/ss, it also gives them a sense of modesty and how to dress for different occasions.

It does seem to make sense, but what about a person's own needs for looking a certain way? Being comfortable with how one dresses and looks in general? Just seems that anything people do to their appearance is for the sake of others?

I have to say i was a complete hellion when i was young. At the ripe old age of 10 i had my ears done ... three studds on one side and none on the other, then i dyed my hair purple. Why? Just to piss off my parents and claim back some freedom, needless to say it backfired on me lol:cool:

I like that all your kids ask to get their ears done and that you are the kind of parents that listen, considerate and dont just say no. no real point to this post just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

ebmma wrote: »
    what about a person's own needs for looking a certain way? Being comfortable with how one dresses and looks in general? Just seems that anything people do to their appearance is for the sake of others?

I totally agree. Not everything is about attracting or impressing the opposite/same sex! Whatever happened to just doing it because you liked it, or liked how you looked with/in it? What happened to being comfortable with who you are...

Everything seems to have a complication attached to it nowadays.

ebmma wrote: »
    It does seem to make sense, but what about a person's own needs for looking a certain way? Being comfortable with how one dresses and looks in general? Just seems that anything people do to their appearance is for the sake of others?

Interesting philisophical question...

I would hypothesise that if you are doing it for yourself because it makes you feel better about the way you look, this is because of the impact it will have on how others perceive you... so it really is about how you look to others in the end.

The question is - is it really possible to want to look different for reasons that are 100% independent of others and society. For instance, if you lived on a desert island with a mirror... would you decide one morning to put a bone in your nose? (I'm disallowing boredom as a valid reason :-) )

Well that depends. Is it "better" as in "I look terrible and nobody likes me, I heard girls with extra piercing are liked better so I'll do that to make myself feel better"?

Or: "Hm, I look especially lovely with this piercing!" :rolleyes:

I don't think it's fair to disregard person's personal needs. Yes, we do not leave in a vacuum and are a part of all sorts of complex interactions with other people...
    But still...There are some things that keep us healthy physically and emotionally. One of them is to feel at peace with who we are and our appearance.

Don't you ever put your favourite scarf on or some necklace just because it's nice and not because someone will think you are pretty and ask for your number?

Do we eat to make our moms feel better? :D

Edit: If I was alone on an island I would get lonely and depressed :(

di11on wrote: »
    Interesting philisophical question...

I would hypothesise that if you are doing it for yourself because it makes you feel better about the way you look, this is because of the impact it will have on how others perceive you... so it really is about how you look to others in the end.

The question is - is it really possible to want to look different for reasons that are 100% independent of others and society. For instance, if you lived on a desert island with a mirror... would you decide one morning to put a bone in your nose? (I'm disallowing boredom as a valid reason :-) )
    Not the most perfect analogy.:) If I lived alone on a desert island would I still paint my nails? Yeah. Solely for me. Would I wear an uncomfy push up bra? Probably not.

The question to be asked here really is not why a little girl wants her ears pierced, but why a mammy would persuade and then put a small child through ear piercing. Who is that for?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    The question to be asked here really is not why a little girl wants her ears pierced, but why a mammy would persuade and then put a small child through ear piercing. Who is that for?

"Look what a pretty girl I have and what earrings I could afford for her"?

Reminded me of one time my husband went to the jeweller's to buy me a present (golden earrings shaped like ladybirds). The shop assistant said "I assume this is for the child", to which my husband politely replied that he doesn't think it is right to buy children expensive jewellery.

He made several people there quite awkward :)

Advertisement