Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imaginary Friends and Ear Piercing.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres my take on it.

Im asked the same question everyday.Why do you have tattoos and piercings?

My answer:
    Its for me and I couldnt care if people like them or not--Ive come across some very narrow minded people in life who look down on you over your mods and again the answer is that I do it for me.If you dont like it then dont look and most of all dont criticise(sp?) me over them--You dont know me.

And Id like my kids to have the same attitude ie. do it for yourself and nobody else.Do it because you want to and not to please someone else.

Id never stop any of them from getting pierced or tattooed as long as its done in the proper way and by a reputable artist/piercer and when they`ve reached the "legal" age to get them done (although there is no regulation over her)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Ok people, thanks for the advice on the piercing, it was simply because we saw some nice complete Disney Princess (which she is into heavily) jewellery sets, and they included earrings, so we told her that she would have to have her ears pierced if she wanted to wear the set, and she turned her face up at it, but still wants the set. We will buy her individual items I think for the time being.

But, back to the imaginary friends, it would be nice to hear other peoples stories of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

Bonzodog wrote: »
    But, back to the imaginary friends, it would be nice to hear other peoples stories of this.

My daughter used to have "Lucy, Dark and Kate" coming every where with us, she's 7 now and they only come out on long journeys. The "girls" joined our family when my daughter was about 2 ish, early 3's. My favourite memory of them is...

We went to the park one day when my daughter was 4, it was after school so fairly busy. There was road works outside the main gate, corporation were fixing the drains so the path was a bit of a mess and we were given this make shift diversion. On the way through the diversion "Lucy" fell into the hole and she could not get out. My daughter is screaming "Mommy, help her!!" All the workmen turn round to see the pandemoniumm. Im there fishing a make believe child out of the hole and one of the workmen asks are we ok... :eek: We didnt let Lucy come to the park with us after that, she just "always gets in trouble".

I never worried about my daughter having imaginary friends, she's an only child with a very active imagination. Her games go anywhere she wants when shes playing with "the girls" in her mind... so long as they dont cause trouble, I have no problem with them hanging around!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Since about the age of three my daughter has had imaginary friends, we had Sniffy the dragon who lived in the attic, a tiger (no name as wild animals don't have names!) who got lost in the forest and found his way under the bed (He like cat food and apples, came from Siberia and was as measured at 7ft 3ins by herself) and Cosey and his various relatives that visited from time to time, who arrived on a bus from Dublin airport, after catching a flight from Spain.(years before Dora)
    There have been others, and I got her to write or draw about their adventures and life stories and these are fantastic. We even went to library to look up info on some things, and a large map of the world I'm keeping them all for when she grows up as I think they'll be a great memento.
    She's 10 now and the friends are gone (cosey got homesick and he went to London with us and hopped on a plane home), but not forgotten and she has the most amazing imagination so don't worry and I'd say encourage it, herself has won prizes for her stories on many occasions.
    Just follow their lead as there are rules, Sniffy couldn't be seen by adults and the tiger was shy so I couldn't look under the bed.

As for the ear piercing, I allowed it at 8 under pressure from in laws and was sorry, even after I gave her all the facts and told her it hurt, she cried and they got sore. Still pierced but there's rules, animals, stars, heart etc allowed no grown up or expensive earings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

di11on wrote: »
    I find it really suprising that you would want to persuade your daughter to have her ears pierced at age 5? Are you serious?

It's worse in Spain .. where new born baby girls all get it done ...

Sick and nothing but child abuse ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

jackdaw wrote: »
    It's worse in Spain .. where new born baby girls all get it done ...

Sick and nothing but child abuse ..
    I would personally reserve the words "child abuse" for those who beat, mame, rape and murder babies (when we are talking about babies). Its a bit strong for parents who pierce baby girls ears.

How and ever I do not agree with piercing babies ears either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I would personally reserve the words "child abuse" for those who beat, mame, rape and murder babies (when we are talking about babies). Its a bit strong for parents who pierce baby girls ears.

How and ever I do not agree with piercing babies ears either.

Yes maybe it is too strong a term ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I told her that wearing such jewlery and make up is part of attracting somone you want to do kisses with and so is dressing sexily and if she is not ready to do those things then she should not dress as if she was.

Couldn't that have backfired spectacularly? By the time I was 8 I had had 4 "boyfriends." But I don't think any of them were attracted by my earrings, I think that because I liked football, bmx tricks and comics they thought I was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Oh god, I feel sick when I hear of babies getting their ears pierced.

I remember seeing a documentary about a woman who had quints, they were all born really prematurely and spent months in hospital getting all sorts of treatment.

Their beast of a mother, on the way home from hospital, stopped to get their ears pierced. After all that time in hospital, needles drips etc, she subjects them to further pain out of vanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

*bump*

Any more imaginary friend stories?

• Advertisement
Advertisement