Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin from London

Options
  • 28-10-2008 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey people, I'm considering a job offer from Dublin - I'm born and brought up in London. 24 years old - I'm planning a trip to Dublin next week for a couple of days - I've already got the job offer.

I want to stay in the centre as I don't drive - for me, I'm seeing it as something for experience, new life etc for 1 year or maybe 2.

They are offering me in the region of 40-45k Euros for the job.

For a single guy, is this ok and how is Dublin?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

moved to dublin city forum from after hours.

if you're living in dublin city, make sure to always keep a packet of mint tic tacs in your pocket to hold up to your nose so you can breathe without inhaling homeless peoples urine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hollisterb

Haha c'mon man, can't be THATTT bad...as ong as I have the irish girls accents around me I'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

It depends on what you do for a living, the money sounds okay to me though. Definitely live and work in the city centre if you can - Irish public transport is the pits, especially if you've lived in London. It should be great fun though, best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Mordeth wrote: »

if you're living in dublin city, make sure to always keep a packet of mint tic tacs in your pocket to hold up to your nose so you can breathe without inhaling homeless peoples urine.

Recent research has found the odours as coming from the great unwashed
    culchie masses from beyond the Pale who have moved up to Dublin to find
    wealth, culture and education. Unfortunately most of them end up in the
    civil service still smelling of silage but now with a chip on their shoulder.

OP, your best bet is to find somewhere on the Luas (tram line) that way
    you have the benefit of cheaper rent away from the noise and madness
    of the city centre but only 25 minutes away on average commuting.
    http://www.luas.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Dublin's quieter than it was as people are more money conscious, the city can be a bit insular for people who are moving from abroad and don't have a friend network but in fairness most workplaces are good at getting people to know each other, particularly multinationals. The weather's a bit warmer typically in winter than London and much much colder in summer. Choose where you live carefully because it can make a big difference to your quality of life. E40-E45k is grand, you'll pay less tax than in London cos there's no council tax. http://www.taxcalc.eu/ will let you know roughly what your after tax income will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Dublin and Ireland are great.

Must know for all english, if your called a tan it has nothing to do with your skin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Stay on the southside.

thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I wouldnt live in the city centre. Choose somewhere about a 20 minute walk from it. Or like someone else said stay on the Luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Hrududu wrote: »
    I wouldnt live in the city centre. Choose somewhere about a 20 minute walk from it. Or like someone else said stay on the Luas line.

That sounds like ure saying literally stay on it like a homeless person, or some one who got kicked out of their house for having an afair.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies!

Ok I was thinking of staying in the city centre area because, 1. I don't drive and 2. I'm 24/Single guy so I need to stay in a busy/fun/lively type of area rather than say a suburb...even if a suburb is cheaper

Probably one of my aims there would be to do some savings too - so I was thinking, as I know there is Trinity University in Dublin, maybe finding a house or building I could share with others around my age group? Is that kind of stuff easy to find?

Dubliners are insular? I had the impression it's a really friendly place - Dude, after London, how cold and boring can you get after Londoners? ;)

a 20 minute walk from the city centre is fine - I could do that on a daily basis. When I look for places to stay, what kind of areas or zones should I be looking at if I want something that is 20 minutes walk away? I'm def. thinking something in the terms of a large house that has a few diff. people renting it out or some kind of studio apartment. I'm trying to find these things out now so next week when I go, I might even check some apartments out.

I don't want to spend too much on rent - I'm not high maintenance or anything but obviously, everyone likes a nice surrounding to wake up and go to sleep to...and invite a girl back to ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

hollisterb wrote: »
    Probably one of my aims there would be to do some savings too - so I was thinking, as I know there is Trinity University in Dublin, maybe finding a house or building I could share with others around my age group? Is that kind of stuff easy to find?
    Take a look at DAFT. It's an accomodation website.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

The city doesnt have postcodes it goes Dubllin 1 Dublin 2 Dublin 3 etc.

The lower the number the closer to the city centre you are i.e O Connell St. (there are som exceptions)
    Even numbers are north of the liffey odd numbers south.

So if your looking on daft keep this in mind :)

Dont pay council tax as said above....However if your renting most rents include bin charges check this though.

Also we dont pay water rates....I have no idea why.

Typical rent is anywhere from €700 - €1200 for a 1 bed apartment...not too sure on shared places obviously a bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Rafloution wrote: »
    They are in fact the postcodes, they are just not as modern as the ones which tie you to a certain area on a street in the UK.

I found some interesting ones on Daft but I was wondering if anyone knows a few specific building with..ok not "fancy" but smart/modern one bedroom or studio style apartments?

I don't want to spend over 1.5k a month on rent.

This place you guys have called The Alliance looks pretty cool from the inside

http://www.thealliance.ie/apartments/one-bedrom-apartments.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Rafloution wrote: »

The lower the number the closer to the city centre you are i.e O Connell St. (there are som exceptions)
    Even numbers are north of the liffey odd numbers south.

So if your looking on daft keep this in mind :)

Eh unless I'm very much mistaken the even numbered postcodes are on the SOUTH side of the Liffey and the odd numbers are on the north!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

This place you guys have called The Alliance looks pretty cool from the inside

http://www.thealliance.ie/apartments/one-bedrom-apartments.aspx

For modern apartments close to city centre, look at Clarion Quay blocks 1-6 in IFSC, or Hannover Quay/Longboat quay developments on the other side of the river (end of Pearse Street at Ringsend).

However, I would advise going for something in an older neighbourhood, and on the Green Luas line, i.e., from Harcourt Street (there are a few smaller apartment blocks around this junction) but basically Ranelagh, Dundrum will see you in a good neighboirhood, on good tram transport to the city centre (10 mins or so I'd say), and the areas are quite busy these days.

For city centre itself, the main residential areas are around Dublin 8 - the quays, Temple Bar itself (the Aston building is particularly good, but I have never seen a spot come up for rent. They refurbed the whole thing, including making a 1200sq ft 1 bed apartment!).

Here is one actually:
    http://www.daft.ie/2614744 - looks small but the price is good, no need for a car or anything, and you can go to a load of different pubs within minutes. The rents in Temple Bar have defo taken a hammering just looking now!

How much exactly do you want to pay per month at most and do you want to share or not?

On that salary, you'd easily get a good quality apartment or house share. You should also look at Rathmines, a busy spot, walking distance to Camden and Georges Street which are big night time areas with a lot of bars and so on; I can't recommend any of the buildings there though, quality is so-so from what I have seen.

RE: The Alliance: this building does look cool, but there is exactly SFA going on around there. That whole development is basically a running joke at the moment - Fancy apartments --> Hotel --> Student accomodation --> Homeless shelter when purchased for €6.45 in two years by the council!!!?! (j/k).

Thanks Pete for that info.,

I don't mind sharing. If it is a nice apartment/flat then I would probably share.

I'm looking to spend around 1k month at max for rent - or if it is a nice apartment I'd be willing to go a bit over.

I work place is Dublin 4 - so as long as it is walking from there I'm happy.

Yep the Alliance building looks nice and the pictures of it from inside look nice too - that's a shame what you said about the area though. It's like in the middle of no where or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Yep the Alliance building looks nice and the pictures of it from inside look nice too - that's a shame what you said about the area though. It's like in the middle of no where or something?

The area immediately around it is only newly developed (it used to be a gasometer site, hence the name). Unfortunately everything was wildly over-expensive (even for Ireland) so they didn't sell well. Once you leave the immediate area, it's not too bad. Very suburban feel for a site so close to the city centre.

On the other hand, if you work in D4, it would be very convenient and it's not far from the city centre (especially on the Dart).

So if you live/work in D4...Can you walk it to the centre?

Being a single young guy, I'd def. need and prefer to live in the centre. I don't want to live in a "suburb"..know what I mean? Especially coming from London...I need that busy type of environment around me. Where other young people are etc...hence I was also looking at places near the university or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 eoinmaclove

hi,
    if you're planning to pop over and suss it out beforehand, maybe use that as a piece of research on the move? get a street map, a sturdy pair of trainers and go for some walks aruond the southside.. see where your new job is located and have a look in all directions 20 mins from there.
    I worked in D4 up to recently but have moved out to a horrible business park 8 miles out of town. I loved working in D4, great pubs, good places to eat, close to town, nice parks nearby and the beach isn't too far either. Actually for somebody moving to Dublin for the first time, you have a lot going for you, so make sure you capitalise on those advantages!

hope this helps - best of luck with move & new job etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BogWog

Mordeth wrote: »

You nearly need a gas mask walking through that lane in central bank. The smell of ten thousand pisses taken in the same spot over the space of a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Rathmines or Ranelagh (20min walk lots cycle in good lanes for that/bus/luas available) are the best spots and close to the city centre!

OP it all depends on where you're office/work is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BogWog

Rathmines or Ranelagh (20min walk lots cycle in good lanes for that/bus/luas available) are the best spots and close to the city centre!

OP it all depends on where you're office/work is.
    They're some of the most expensive areas in Dublin though. I'd move to Ringsend if I wanted to be close to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

BogWog wrote: »
    They're some of the most expensive areas in Dublin though. I'd move to Ringsend if I wanted to be close to town.

I would nt recommend Ringsend for this guy at all tbh. Hes only here for a year or two so the bit of extra rent wont break the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thanks Pete for that info.,

I don't mind sharing. If it is a nice apartment/flat then I would probably share.

I'm looking to spend around 1k month at max for rent - or if it is a nice apartment I'd be willing to go a bit over.

I work place is Dublin 4 - so as long as it is walking from there I'm happy.

15 minute walk to college green though. I don't think it's that bad a place for a young person to live, although personally I would go for something the other side of Grand Canal Station.

For €1k per month you would get something very nice around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I work in Dublin 4 (Ballsbridge), on Merrion Road. I live on the Northside of the city, and I walk home from work in 45minutes.. So, yes you can walk to the city centre in 20mins.

Personally I wouldn't want to live in D4, I prefer the Northside (but that's a whoole other thread, and has been done to death ;) ).

Dublin is very much a walking city. You can walk pretty much anywhere in a reasonably short amount of time. If social life is a big thing for you, then try and get between the canals, and I guess the closer to The Liffey, the better. If noise is a problem for you however, avoid living in Temple Bar, or in an apartment facing onto a busy street

Advertisement