Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As if there won't be enough Xmas music on the air...

Options
  • 28-10-2008 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

How about a whole radio station dedicated to Christmas music?

Yeah? You want it? You really do?

(Are you nuts?)

Well... you're getting it...

Christmas FM! ... coming soon! :D

(Oh,... god...)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

about damn time.

well no, I hate christmas music. The only time I've enjoyed sitting down and listening to it was when I was in Canada, and that was mainly because of the buckets of snow and the sexy accent on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Pris

Oh god,it'll just be Wizzard on repeat 24/7..So here it is, merry Christmas indeed. Shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Pris wrote: »
    Oh god,it'll just be Wizzard on repeat 24/7..So here it is, merry Christmas indeed. Shudder.

That was Slade, but we feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's not too far off now till the commercial stations will be piping it out. Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭MarkN

It's for charity......................

Hope you feel bad now Bard ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

MarkN wrote: »
    It's for charity......................

Hope you feel bad now Bard ;)

Eh, no... why should I feel bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Whereabouts on FM can we expect to hear this station and is it licenced by the BCI?

Big Tone wrote: »
    Whereabouts on FM can we expect to hear this station and is it licenced by the BCI?

It'll be a temporary licence issued from them.
    Bard wrote: »
    Eh, no... why should I feel bad?

1) I was joking

2) Cause it's potentially a hugely successful music format (if you take the US as an example)

3) It'll be people giving their time for free to raise money for sick kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Pris

bmaxi wrote: »
    That was Slade, but we feel your pain.

I am always getting my Christmas novelty rock singles mixed up, gotta sort that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Pris wrote: »
    I am always getting my Christmas novelty rock singles mixed up, gotta sort that out.

As long as you're not one of the thousands who reckon that Elvis sang "Lonely this Christmas", then we'll forgive you.

But NO-ONE should have anything remotely Christmassy for another 4 weeks.....it ruins the week itself. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

MarkN wrote: »
    1) I was joking

Great! I'm laughing heartily, I assure you...
    2) Cause it's potentially a hugely successful music format (if you take the US as an example)

3) It'll be people giving their time for free to raise money for sick kids

Erm... good, and good again!

I may not like the idea of wall to wall Christmas music, but I DO wish them luck. And no, I don't feel bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Was in Boston a few years ago around Thanksgiving time and heard a station just like this playing wall-to-wall Christmas songs and I must say I enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

100.3 ?

And as Mark said if its all for charity then it probably is a good idea!

Very noble indeed.

Best of luck to the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

All I want for Christmas is to not have to hear Mariah ****ing Carey again.
    I call bull**** on Christ
    Mas music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

think it is a great idea if it means that all other radio stations don't play any if i hear fairytale of new york before 1st december i will freak. and if i ever hear ronan keatings version i will not be responsible for my actions

Lads the idea of main stations not playing x-mas songs as this station is going to be on is a bit like saying Aer Lingus and Ryanair are going to stop flying to London as Cityjet now also do it...

Who is going to have the bigger slice of x-mas song requests? 98 and 104 or Christmas FM?

I'm all for the station but I can't see what you're suggesting happening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

I would agree with Mark. Here in The South Of France is a Market of 35 FM stations coming from all different parts, Italy, Locally in the region, Paris and beyond, if they all decided to stop playing Christmas music just because one station started playing nonstop Christmas music it would seem pretty ludicrous.
    I think that Christmas FM will be a new format never before done in Dublin and will be a welcome release for folks stuck in the Christmas traffic jams - and let's face it there are enough of those in Dublin every Christmas. I remember the 'fun' it was to try and get parking in The Jervis Shopping Centre in the month or so of 'the run-up to Christmas' in past years. Similarly to 92.1 Choice FM as somewhat of a Magic format for Dublin I am assured by the guys behind it that we will be playing only the Big Hits from the Christmas selection and with Less Talk. Seems there is TOO much talk anytime I am home and tune in to most of the ILR and RTE stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Don't have a problem with the format but would hope that alternate versions of the Christmas canon might feature also.There are some great blues and jazz versions of Christmas standards deserving of a listen.

Who Took The Merry Out Of Christmas The Staple Singers

Christmas Celebration BB King

Jingle Bell Rock The Ventures

A Child Is Born Joe Lovano

Merry Times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Is it just in Dublin? what about the rest of the country who want to sing along to "So here it is MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!"?? (love that tune) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

The question is though... What will be the first Christmas song played...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭psychic-hack

Shakin' Stevens and Kim Wilde's version of rockin' around the Christmas tree!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

Nice.
    Wow.

Will be exciting! ;)

Any other suggestions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Psychic Hack do you not mean Mel Smith (comedian from Smith and Jones duo) and Kim Wilde's version of Rockin' around the Christmas tree? Don't remember Shakin Steven's doing a version although he did once introduce Kim Wilde on top of the pops!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭psychic-hack

Oops - you're right :o !

Well - it was 21 years ago.....that's my excuse. :D

89.9FM is the frequency that will be used by Christmas FM in Dublin according to BCI website today.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Spare a thought for the DJ's!

That would knock the festive cheer out of anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Walshie

Shame it's not multi city as it would be nice to be able to dip in and out of wall to wall Christmas tunes over the festive season like . . .

Walshie,

it will be streaming online also and on wi-fi radios through reciva and other platforms so you should be able to hear it anywhere although I know what you mean.

TRSJ

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

If you are an Irish/ former Dublin broadcaster abroad or " down the country" get in touch with myself and I'll give you the info you need to do a little greeting for Christmas FM. TRSJ (above) and the lads are all very very busy getting it all ready!!! , just giving them a hand. Thanks, E:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement