Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters and the dole

• 28-10-2008 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,

I know as a Masters student I am not eligable for the dole or back to Education. However, my final exams are in May and I have to hand in a Thesis by Mid August. So my question is, once my exams in May are complete am I eligable for some sort of welfare assistance?

I know as an undergraduate, you need a letter stating you have completed your study to show the welfare office so you can claim over the summer months. I checked with the reception in my college and they told me 'For masters students the college would issue such a letter to state I have completed my exams but it would also state there is still a thesis due in.'

So can anybody help me, can I claim once my exams are complete or will I have to wait until Thesis has been handed in?

Many thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If it says your thesis is due then the people in the dole office will know you aren't available for full time work.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

Cheer's, thought as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I tried to claim after I finsihed my exams as an undergraduate. They said I couldnt because, technically I didnt have any reduction in Hours from a paid job thus I didnt qualify. They also told me that I would have to take any job that cam along and that I wouldnt be able to claim if I was only appling for a certain type of job. Very stupid I know but they are very picky. Towards me anyway

Advertisement