Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTSC VHS conversion to PAL digital

Options
  • 28-10-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this but is there a method to convert video tapes from the USA to digital using a PC TV card?

I have tried to convert using a DVD recorder, but the output from the VHS player I am using only mimics PAL (it does not do a full conversion from NTSC to PAL) so the result on the DVD recorder is in black & white even though the display on the TV is in colour during the recording (I still have a VHS player from the USA - would using this help?)

I am obviously trying to do this on the cheap, and avoid having to pay megaeuros for a combo recorder,

thanks in advance

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jonathan13

Hi markjbloggs,

me to not sure if this is the right page for this, but i'l answer you since were both faced with the same problem with slight difference

not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this but is there a method to convert video tapes from the USA to digital using a PC TV card?

- i think yes, let's say " if " your pc tv tuner has something like an rca audio/video in and equipped with a software that lets you record (does not matter if its NTSC or PAL) from your camera, dvd player or your VHS player from US to your pc then that will do the trick. -> not my preferred process due to loss of quality, unless you will use something like dazzle hollywood..

or the much harder old school way..

- since you have your US version VHS player, assuming you have a tv that can play NTSC or PAL signal and has a multi a/v in, then you can record from that tv using a dvd recorder or video camera(in vtr mode) then you can transfer to your pc. -> this is my preferred process since there will be minimal loss of quality of the footage. Although iv'e tried this process many many times..i just did it on one format, NTSC only. I'm just suggesting it might work..

oh and be sure to use a transformer if your VHS from US is not auto-volt

now is there anyone out there with a video camera that can play a mini-dv in a NTSC format? i need it badly have to do some editing...ty

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Advertisement