Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

brake pads

Options
  • 28-10-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

whould there be a gap between the brake pad and the disk. i'v just had too change wheel. i just turned the hub and i could hear the brake pad rub on the disk.

is this normal. as i do hear a screech or some like of noise coming from the front. it stops when i press on the brake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Quite normal. Should be lightly touching but hub / disc should be relatively easy to turn.

Might be no harm to check the amount of lining on the pads though. If they're close to the metal backing, it would be wise to change.

Copper grease (sparingly) on the back of the pad should sort out any screech!.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

yeah its easy to trun. were would you get copper grease

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Check for a lip on the disc and the depth of the friction material on the pad - if you're getting a screech that disappears when you press the brakes, it could be metal on metal (bad!)

You'll get copper grease in any motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Dont put copper grease on the pad its one of those urban myths that is carried out in shady lane indys. A pad should not be greased!!

Mr.David wrote: »
    Dont put copper grease on the pad its one of those urban myths that is carried out in shady lane indys. A pad should not be greased!!

Sorry but that is misinformation, copper grease is the solution to brake squeal and will solve the problem for long periods if not permanently. There is nothing shady about using it nor is its use restricted to indy's.

OP - Just make sure its the back (metal part) of the pad you grease not the friction surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

brakes were only changed in march

cena wrote: »
    brakes were only changed in march

Then they should be fine unless you're doing serious mileage or that the discs were damaged by overworn pads before the last change.

If the pads are down to metal on metal, believe me you won't have any doubts but that it's time to change. If it's just a normal friction sound that comes from braking, then I wouldn't worry about it at all, i.e. noise should be barely audible from inside the car.

Nor would I worry about an occasional bit of brake squeal unless it's highly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mr.David wrote: »

You're right - the pad surface should not be greased. However, copper grease is applied to the back of the pad (where it is contact with the caliper - not the disc).

@OP - as stated above, there will be some drag when the wheel assembly is rotated, but once it turns with minimal effort there's nothing to worry about.

Advertisement