Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people recommend going from Eircom to UPC/NTL

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just out of curiosity, who would you consider to be the leader for BB in Ireland?

if you mean eircom with their alleged 'upgrades' to 7.6mbps (which for a lot of people are worse than 3mbps), they hold more responsibility for holding back broadband in Ireland than anyone.

if you mean BT, their lack of customer servicesand piecemeal upgrades to make it look like they're giving everyone 24mbps when eircom are stuck at 7.6mbps is a piecemeal offering for a selcet few whilst the majoirty of their customers get offered a reconstituted eircom 7.6mbps connection for the same price as the precious few get their 24mbps and then get throttled every time they try and use any of the extra speed to download more.

magnet, digiweb and smart etc. don't reach enough people to count, or where they do they're just reselling eircom's bitstream product so those don't count either.

which leaves the blob that is now chorus/ntl/upc which is finally doing a pretty good job of rolling out their products to more and more homes, as ntl have been promising for years. customer service is still pretty shoddy but that too is apparently being corrected (albeit very slowly).

so from here it doesn't look like we actually have a 'broadband leader' in ireland. who did you way you worked for again? ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Personally I'd view Smart as the leader of ADSL Broadband and UPC (cause there basically the only one's anyway) as the leader of Cable Broadband (yes I'm aware of casey cable :) )

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

Did i say i work for eircom.... neah !? Why you work for NTL? ... you know their sh*t why would you say that ... 24 mb in dublin city center .. but not anywhere else .... who has most line over 3 mb outside dublin ??? eircom does ... smart and bt have only a few exchanges... their using eircom ones..... so what now ?
    vibe666 wrote: »
    just out of curiosity, who would you consider to be the leader for BB in Ireland?

if you mean eircom with their alleged 'upgrades' to 7.6mbps (which for a lot of people are worse than 3mbps), they hold more responsibility for holding back broadband in Ireland than anyone.

if you mean BT, their lack of customer servicesand piecemeal upgrades to make it look like they're giving everyone 24mbps when eircom are stuck at 7.6mbps is a piecemeal offering for a selcet few whilst the majoirty of their customers get offered a reconstituted eircom 7.6mbps connection for the same price as the precious few get their 24mbps and then get throttled every time they try and use any of the extra speed to download more.

magnet, digiweb and smart etc. don't reach enough people to count, or where they do they're just reselling eircom's bitstream product so those don't count either.

which leaves the blob that is now chorus/ntl/upc which is finally doing a pretty good job of rolling out their products to more and more homes, as ntl have been promising for years. customer service is still pretty shoddy but that too is apparently being corrected (albeit very slowly).

so from here it doesn't look like we actually have a 'broadband leader' in ireland. who did you way you worked for again? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

sz_danii wrote: »
    Did i say i work for eircom.... neah !? Why you work for NTL? ... you know their sh*t why would you say that ... 24 mb in dublin city center .. but not anywhere else .... who has most line over 3 mb outside dublin ??? eircom does ... smart and bt have only a few exchanges... their using eircom ones..... so what now ?

sz_danii you make no sense at all if you believe upc to be so bad, Why have you chosen them over other isp's? . The main reason most of the ntl cable network was it such a terrible state was due to ownership by Telecom Éireann. They only bought the cable company for fear of it developing voice services. They then proceeded to invest nothing in the network and allowed it be in it current state. Ntl had great plans but underestimated the cost to create a modern cable network and nearly went bust. Now we have upc who are one of the few high rollers left in town investing millions into the network creating a massive amount of jobs and bringing high speed internet at an affordable cost. Yes they are far from perfect but at least they are putting the money into the network unlike eircom who seem to be happy to sit of their ever ageing network looking for a government hand out.

True .... but still wtf they give out a 20 mb connection where you can`t use Bittorrent only if its encrypted ( slows it donw to 500 kbps, i can get this even with a 2mb line ) and strong dc takes ages to configure to get it up at maximum 200 kbps ) for reading your e-mail and reply on boards.ie your dont need 20 mb .... or youtube ! My opinion ! (btw PS3 and X-Box work even on a 1mb good line )

DingDong wrote: »
    sz_danii you make no sense at all if you believe upc to be so bad, Why have chosen them over other isp? . The main reason most of the ntl cable network was it such a terrible state was due to ownership by Telecom Éireann. They only bought the cable company for fear of it developing voice services. They then proceeded to invest nothing in the network and allowed it be in it current state. Ntl had great plans but underestimated the cost to create a modern cable network and nearly went bust. Now we have upc who are one of the few high rollers left in town investing millions into the network creating a massive amount of job and bringing high speed internet at an affordable cost. Yes they are far from perfect but at least they are putting the money into the network unlike eircom who seem to be happy to sit of their ever ageing network looking for a government hand out.

• Advertisement

True .... but still wtf they give out a 20 mb connection where you can`t use Bittorrent only if its encrypted ( slows it donw to 500 kbps, i can get this even with a 2mb line ) and strong dc takes ages to configure to get it up at maximum 200 kbps ) for reading your e-mail and reply on boards.ie your dont need 20 mb .... or youtube ! My opinion ! (btw PS3 and X-Box work even on a 1mb good line )

I have my 20mbps NTL for over a week now and it's grand. I don't always get the full speed all the time, but the first thing I did was pick 2 well seeded torrents and download them to test the speed and the combined speed of just those 2 torrents was over 700kB/s (5.7mbps).

here, check it out if you don't believe me.

th_speedy.jpg

since then I've found it to be much faster than my old 7.6mbps BT DSL (eircom bitstream) and I don't have to juggle my downloads any more to avoid getting throttled like I used to.

and no, I don't work or NTL, but I did used to work for eircom.net tech support and it just happened to be at the time when it all went downhill so I'm well aware of what a useless shower of eejits they are. that's no direct reflection of the people on the frontline doing the work though, as with most things it's management saving money by cutting corners on wages and training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Moved to a new home which is just a few hundred yards from the exchange and went with eircom for at least the 6 months contract period just to get the line in quick with minimum of hassle. Will re-examine options next year. Anyway our Line attentuation and S/N figures are amazing in the new home and the eircom netopia synces at the full 7.6/700k.

The other night I downloaded a 350mb well seeded file at about 600k/s and it was downloaded in about 10 minutes.

I don't think Eircom are throttling (not at night anyway) There are even preconfigured ports set in the router for all the popular torrent apps.

Yeah thats the thing they don`t block anything ... BTW ... 300 KBPP + 400 KBPS = 700 KBPS = 0.7 MBs .... thats not 7.6 MBPS :))) ... i get the same sh*t from NTL , but i have my eircom one as well and no chance for the ntl one...... i get 2MBPS on eircom with a 7.6 line , not a 20 mb line :))

I have my 20mbps NTL for over a week now and it's grand. I don't always get the full speed all the time, but the first thing I did was pick 2 well seeded torrents and download them to test the speed and the combined speed of just those 2 torrents was over 700kB/s (5.7mbps).

here, check it out if you don't believe me.

th_speedy.jpg

since then I've found it to be much faster than my old 7.6mbps BT DSL (eircom bitstream) and I don't have to juggle my downloads any more to avoid getting throttled like I used to.

and no, I don't work or NTL, but I did used to work for eircom.net tech support and it just happened to be at the time when it all went downhill so I'm well aware of what a useless shower of eejits they are. that's no direct reflection of the people on the frontline doing the work though, as with most things it's management saving money by cutting corners on wages and training.

Yeah thats the thing they don`t block anything ... BTW ... 300 KBPP + 400 KBPS = 700 KBPS = 0.7 MBs .... thats not 7.6 MBPS :))) ... i get the same sh*t from NTL , but i have my eircom one as well and no chance for the ntl one...... i get 2MBPS on eircom with a 7.6 line , not a 20 mb line :))
    err, I think you need to learn your bits from your bytes mate (and your capitilization is all fk'dup). ;)

700kB/s (aka KBps or KiloBytes per second) = 5600kbps (kilobits per second) or 5.6mbps (megabits per second) OR 0.7MBps (MegaBytes per second). Note the difference in upper and lower case representing bits and BYTES.

on an ntl 20mbps (lower case 'bits') connection that's pretty damn good for torrents (42mb downloaded a minute, less than 9 minutes for a 350mb file) and a damn sight faster than I ever got on my 7.6mbps DSL.

AFAIK, you may have just completed a self fulfilling prophecy in your signature (even without correcting the spellinz).

*cough*FAIL*cough*

damn .... sorry to say it but your dum ..... but your line is in bites as well :)) ... so your bandwith is 20000 kbps ... and your download is 700 kbps ... were is the rest ?

we're talking about torrenting, not FTP'ing, 2 very different things.

and a 'bite' is what you have for your lunch, it's got no place in a conversaiton about data.

are you seriously going to try and argue your point when you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about?

you need to re-read my previous post about 50 times if you have even the faintest hope of understanding any of this.

• Advertisement

i know what you mean !!! ... but what you said is not true .... you get 700 kbps .. thats 0.7 mbps ... your contract sais 20 mbps ( even if you take a torrent that is well seeded and stuff still not gonna pass over maximum 3 mbps )

Data Communications ( 10^x )
    700000 bits
    700 kilobits
    0.7 megabits
    0.007 gigabits
    7e-7 terabits

TbStorage ( 2^x )

87500Bytes
    85.449Kilobytes
    0.083447Megabytes
    0.000081491Gigabytes
    7.9581e-8Terabytes

Here example :

Business Lite
    1Mb
    Maximum product speeds:
    Download 1,024kbps
    Upload 128kbps

Business Lite Plus
    3Mb
    Maximum product speeds:
    Download 3,072kbps
    Upload 384kbps

Business Starter
    7.6Mb
    Maximum product speeds:
    Download 7,782kbps
    Upload 672kbps

we're talking about torrenting, not FTP'ing, 2 very different things.

no you don't know what I mean because if you did know what you were talking about we wouldn't be having this conversation. :rolleyes:

I'm going to make it as simple as I possibly can for you, but I've got stuff to do so I can't spoon feed you all night, you're going to have to use your brain at some point.

here we have a zoomed pic of the speed shown in my previous screengrab.

speedy2.jpg

please pay attention to the download speed of 718 kB/s (note the big 'B' in the speed which is NOT in any way, shape or form anything like the same as kbps. the speed you see in the screengrab above if converted to kbps units would be around 5744kbps.

Being as you seem to like copy pasting interwebby stuff, have a little good hard look at [URL="[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbit/s#megabit_per_second[/url]"]THIS[/URL] page (repeatedly, please for the love of god until you finally get it) on wikipedia which explains it all in plenty of detail, specifically this bit.
    'b' vs 'B'
    'b' stands for 'bit' and 'B' stands for 'byte', where one byte refers to 8 bits. This can lead to confusion, as when a "1 Mega" connection is advertised, it usually means 1 Mibit/s (mebibit per second) or 1.049 Mbit/s (megabit per second), meaning the maximum achievable download speed is actually about 128 KiB/s (kibibyte per second) or 131 kB/s (kilobyte per second).

so to recap: a little 'b' signifies a 'bit' whereas a big 'B' signifies a Byte. ntl do a 20megabit connection, NOT a 20megabyte connection.

the 20mbps ntl connection is equiv. to 20x 131kB/s so the absolute maximum download speed you will see (via ftp) on a perfect 20mbps internet connection is 2,620kB/s, so given the constant toing and froing of data on a torrent download my 718kB/s looks pretty impressive imho.

well, at least when you know your bits from your bytes it does. not to mention 'bites'. :rolleyes:

sorry but you're going to have to come back when you know what you're at because right now all you're doing is confusing the situation for other people who also might not know the difference.

unfortunately the IEC has been messing around with units of measurement so it's all changed again to Kibibyte and Mebibyte to totally confuse all of us, so you'll just have to work those out for yourself, but it'll be good exercise for your brain. ;)

Torrents have been ruined over the last few years as they have gotten popular.

People wont share, cant share! Keep taking and never give back, againt the whole spirit of bitorrent.

So back to the old friend Usenet

VVVV

i hit 18.5 most times :)

European server farms with SSl

uspeedtz2.jpg
    w1064.png

As you can see the speed at the bottom

18.2Mbps/2.3MBps

And that is constant, any time of day, and day of the week,

I know wat you mean .. but it`s not correct, storage is in bytes, network speeds should be in bites !!!! ( according to our day regulations )

nice one cisk, you pay for usenet or you know somewhere secrit? ;)

Its a secret thats been around since before the World wide web :)

You pay a few quid amount to a news provider for unlimited high speed access to the usenet network.

Check out http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

I use http://www.news.astraweb.com/ costs bout 10e a month unlimited.

99% of media gets ripped to usenet 1st and then filters down to torrents.

cisk wrote: »
    Its a secret thats been around since before the World wide web :)

You pay a few quid amount to a news provider for unlimited high speed access to the usenet network.

Check out http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

I use http://www.news.astraweb.com/ costs bout 10e a month unlimited.

99% of media gets ripped to usenet 1st and then filters down to torrents.

I was trawling usenet over dialup (and then ISDN) before DSL was even invented (and bbs's before that, starting to feel old now!)

tbh i have an rss feed set up to grab pretty much everything i download reguarly and remote access to the server at home to set off anything new i see during the day which has always been finished by the time I get home anyway, so I pretty much wouldn't bother with usenet I don't think, although the speed is pretty impressive all the same. about 4gb downloaded today and all done before I was home from work to do anything with it anyway, so plenty fast enough imho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Can we get back to NTL please :)

There are certain areas where NTL cable is too grotty to compete with eircom. D8 and D15 come to mind .

Then there are areas where NTL cable is brand new and the eircom exchange is too far away and the cabling too grotty to compete with NTL cable . These tend to be areas on suburban fringes in major urban areas .

Only about 10% of net users have any serious interest in binaries or torrents so can we advise the other 90% please.

Ta.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Can we get back to NTL please :)

indeed we can.
    Only about 10% of net users have any serious interest in binaries or torrents so can we advise the other 90% please.
    in that case they don't 'need' a 20/24mbps connection at all and any of the fixed line providers should do the job. ;)

seriously though if we're talking about 'that' 90% of users one of the most important factors would have to be decent support, which pretty much stuffs all the ISP's I can think of.

a reasonable service that 'works' and good support when it doesn't would be the best for most people. irish broadband maybe?

pretty much find out who has the lowest % of *complaints per head and go with them. :)

*which wouldn't be NTL, BT or Eircom.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ta.

Id say the figure is higher for interest in torrents to be honest.Anyone in Maynooth know if torrents are throttled there?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Get out of it you , nobody cares about some JRE_1.4.1 'skillz' in this thread :p

Some NTL/Chorus cable areas are diabolical crap with rotten ancient cable as are indeed some eircom areas. Your choice of provider should be made on local circumstance as much as anything else .

i think you would like to know some Java ... but i like you response mate....;)

deleted posts, this was all getting out of hand.

i see this treat is going somewhere we don`t want .. as i promised vibe666, i`ve removed all my post that don`t belong here .... i prefer to end it this way ....

just to make clear .. i don`t work for Eircom .. the first post of mine, i`ve just seen now is a typo . Any questions or problems i can help you no problem. Again i don`t work for them ANYMORE !

Advertisement