Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb-which wireless router?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I have Digiweb broadband and basically have a long cable which i plug from my modem to my laptop. Im sick of this setup now so i want to get a wireless router-which type should i be getting??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Which Digiweb service have you got and then I can make some suggestions.

Suitable models are in Maplin, Argos, Komplett.ie, dabs.ie etc, but the exact model (not Brand) depends on the type of Digiweb service (Mobile, Satellite, FWA, Metro, DSL among others :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ASIL1983

Whoops sorry i didnt realise:rolleyes: i have Metro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Linksys WRTxxxx (few different models N and G) or cheaper Netgear WGR614

Linksys is better but costs a bit more....

I have both - both work fine but linksys is a bit more advanced

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The important thing is to have what is called an Ethernet WAN router, it has a 5th "WAN" ethernet port for the Modem. The PCs/Laptops etc connect to the WiFi and/or ordinary ethernet ports. Dabs calls then cable/dsl routers. Komplett calls them WiFi Routers and Maplin/Argos call then Cable Routers (as a Cable Modem has ethernet).

Linksys, Dlink, Sitecom, Buffalo, Netgear. But NOT one with a built in ADSL modem (phone size socket for phone line). All these makers do both kinds of router
    . Also since you want WiFi, avoid an ethernet ONLY router...

You do not need to install any CD or software that comes with the Router. Follow the instructions how to connect to the web page to set it up (use ethernet cable to start with).

Metro Modem <
    > Wan Port Router | Router ordinary ethernet <
    > PC

Follow instructions for Router. Make the WAN port be DHCP and Auto DNS etc.
    Use Static or DHCP for the PCs/Laptops as desired (see elsewhere for info).

Wireless:
    Use WPA AES PSK and a long (more than 20 Upper/lower case letters numbers) random pass phrase key that YOU WROTE DOWN FiRST. Use an SSID like any easy to recognise name like Nathaniel or Babcom42 that is unlike any your laptop finds. Don't use default channel and 12 or 13 may not work. Try 11 if you have Video Sender or else 1.

Put same settings in WiFi of laptop /PC. If Windows, the built in Windows configurator may fail if you have a 3rd party Atheros or Intel one. If there is a third party one and it can't connect recheck the key is correct. Else disable it and enable Windows Zero Configuration. Mac and Linux is different. The EEEPC version of Linux and newer UBuntu seem to work OK, if like windows you use the compatible connfiguration tool.

Remember if the Linksys/Dlink/Buffalo/Netgear/Sitecom has an ADSL/Phone line socket and no 5th ethernet marked "WAN" or "Internet" it's the wrong kind of model.

Advertisement