Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer science with Arts

Options
  • 28-10-2008 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey!

Think of going to UCD next year to study for a BA in computer science

MY career guidance teacher said that I need to be very good at Hons maths for it but in the prospectus it allows ppl with OLB3. I am hoping to get an A1 in OL maths.

Is this a better course that computer Applications or Enterprise computing in DCU

I would really appreciate it if you could let me no!!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

Hi

I got an A1 in OL and am in second year of the BA in computer science. I dunno what your guidance councillor is on about to be honest.
    In first year there are no maths modules and if you decide to do just computer science after first year there is only one maths module in second year! If you are capable of an A1 youll be grand

hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Pat2107 wrote: »
    Hey!

Think of going to UCD next year to study for a BA in computer science

MY career guidance teacher said that I need to be very good at Hons maths for it but in the prospectus it allows ppl with OLB3. I am hoping to get an A1 in OL maths.

Is this a better course that computer Applications or Enterprise computing in DCU

I would really appreciate it if you could let me no!!

Cheers
    Your guidance counselor doesn;t know what he.she's talking about. If yo get an A1 in OL you'll be more than fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

33% God wrote: »
    If yo get an A1 in OL you'll be more than fine.
    Would have to agree there. It's not really straight-up mathematical knowledge that's needed for CS - it's the type of reasoning that's needed to work through a problem, to break it up properly, to reason things logically. So if you're an A1 student at OL then you should be fine.

I can personally say I've almost never had a difficulty with the maths in CS classes (I am in 4th BSc CS). I'm speaking from a slightly biased perspective there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stage 1 and 2 there is pretty much no maths at all. Certainly nothing that you will have done for the Leaving Cert (there is a class, but it's problem solving rather than maths).

Stage 3 however (which I am in), there is quite alot of maths in the 1st semester. It's not impossible, but it is very challenging and you'll need to get the head down from the start. I got a D(something) in Hons Maths for the LC.

Overall it's not a bad course really. Think long and hard about it though! You sure you wouldn't prefer to just do Arts? I know if I could go back, I would have just done Arts, as my interest in computers has petered out.

The programming aspect of the course is quite interesting. 1st year is easy. 2nd year is more challenging, but it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

Thanks a million... i knew she was talkin a load of bull. da NOB

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Pat2107 wrote: »
    Thanks a million... i knew she was talkin a load of bull. da NOB

:):rolleyes:

dont do computer science in UCd, its a ****in mess and is the worst decision ive ever made....its only my opinion but alot of the peopple in my course feel the same, badly managed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement