Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Panasonic Viera plasma

• 28-10-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

Peats are offering Panasonic Viera plasma TVs and throwing in a free 250GB HDD/DVD recorders.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/reviews on these sets. Very little online about them apart from www.panasonicshop.ie

I was considering the 37 or 42inch http://panasonicshop.ie/products.php?ID=1

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Have a 1080p Viera myself, and love it. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

They're considered the best plasma, with the exception of the more expensive Pioneer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi lads,
    Sorry to partially hijack this thread, but are there any drawbacks of this Plasma TV? Does it have similiar maintainence costs to other Plasmas?
    Looking to buy something in the next 6 months or so.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

No drawbacks of Panasonic TVs that I know off. I have last years 42" model and couldn't be happier with it. Its a super TV.

Plasma or LCDs have no maintenance costs besides the electricity cost to power them.

ongarite wrote: »
    No drawbacks of Panasonic TVs that I know off. I have last years 42" model and couldn't be happier with it. Its a super TV.

Plasma or LCDs have no maintenance costs besides the electricity cost to power them.
    I see,
    I was under the impression that Plasmas needed a service every few years.
    Kippy

You would have happened to heard a sales person in a certain electric retailer tell you that Plasma TVs need re-gassing ever few years and then proceed to try and sell you a bargain of an LCD TV ??

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    You would have happened to heard a sales person in a certain electric retailer tell you that Plasma TVs need re-gassing ever few years and then proceed to try and sell you a bargain of an LCD TV ??
    Actually, It was a few years ago now that I had heard about the plasmas needing a "service"-not in any particuliar store I must confess.
    It's something that has been putting me off Plasmas since to be honest and by the looks of it my fears are unfounded. Why are the Plasmas in general cheaper? OP, which model are you looking at?
    I currently own a 32 inch CRT which will hopefully be upgraded to a 42 inch Plasma/LCD.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I wouldn't say plasma's are generally cheaper tbh. IMO, the only plasma's worth buying are panasonic and pioneer. The other manufacturers are samsung, LG and philips. It is the latter brands that are cheaper than good lcd's of similar price. Panasonics are a little more than the best equivalent lcd's and pioneer plasma's are the dearest tv's available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I was looking at a TH-37PV80EY 37inch HD Plasma TV.

When it says Full HD, does this mean it has a HD tuner or it has the highest resoloution? or am I mixing it up with HD ready?

I called into Peats today to see if they had any brochures...:( to get the FULL tech specs on it. I'm also interested in running my PC through it. How do they cope with VGA signal over 15pin

The 37PV80 is a HD Ready TV, not FullHD. Panasonic don't sell a FullHD Plasma until you get to 42" model.

HD Ready and FullHD refer to the TVs resolution. HD Ready Plasma being 1280x720, FullHD being 1920x1080.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/564544/index.html?trackInfo=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

Not so long ago most plasma's were prone to a thing called "Screen Burn" which was a slight ghosting on the screen in the shape of a object or logo that was displayed on screen for a long period of time.

A year ago I seen a friends Philips Plasma destroyed by the Disney Channel Logo in the top corner of the screen.

This was one of the reasons Plasma's were not used for Digital Signage. Most of today's good quality plasma's have technology built in to prevent this issue but I would stay away from the cheaper brands if your thinking of going down the plasma route.

Panasonic's seem to be the best value for money if your looking for a good quality plasma.

If your thinking of a 37", I woudn't get too hung up on the Full HD issue. Below a 42" it can be hard to tell the difference to the untrained eye.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

It worth noting, though that if you get a 37" or 42" "hd ready" plasma, be it panasonic, philips, LG or samsung, that its resolution will be only 1024 x 768, not quite as high as hd ready lcd(Which would have a resolution of 1366 x 768)/ This means that the images wont look quite as sharp as those on an lcd.However, there is more to picture quality than just resolution. HD content on, say a panasonic 37px80 will look as good if not better than HD content on a 37" hd ready lcd.This is because of its superior blacks and quicker reaction times

Advertisement