Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Putting car into storage while I go travelling?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am going travelling in December, probably for a year. At leas a few months anyway.
    I have to sort out my car before I go.
    It's not an expensive car, or a fancy one, but I will probably be broke when I come back from travelling, and I'll need it for getting to job interviews (and jobs!) when I'm home.

Does anyone know if there are any vehicle storage companies around?

I can't leave it at home because we have no garage.
    My family either can't drive, or would wreck the car (no respect for other people's property).

Thanks!

BPE

Comments

Not sure on the storage but would an option be, sell it put the money into a bank account that you can't access from abroad and then come home and buy a new car? just a thought.

When you get back things may have gotten so bad here that you could get a Merc for the same price!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I know it's a brutal time to consider it but would you be better off selling it and buying something when you get back.

The cost of storage if you find a place wont be cheap. It will have depreciated by a year and you will probably have a host of problems because of non use for a year. Probably all in all, will cost you more than the car is worth from your description to keep it in storage and then put it back on the road in a years time.

I could be wrong but that's my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

See I am going to need it for work until maybe the week before Christmas so I would have a hard time selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Stick it up on adverts.ie, you might get lucky around christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

Where are you living?
    theres one in bishopstown cork, bout 10 euros a week i think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I don´t think that this is that good idea to keep the car stationary one year, you will definetely get problems with car, for instance when you get back car will most likely have a issue with brakes, that are stuck/rusted, so when you get back and are broke, you still have to spend money to get these things fixed.

Even the petrol does not last one year, it gets old and you car does not start anymore.

Sell the car, much better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I love the fact that you respect your family enough that they would either wreck it or cant drive. Priceless.

Check out the link to an old thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-223475.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I love the fact that you respect your family enough that they would either wreck it or cant drive. Priceless.

Let's see...

I have been in the passenger seat while my father drives it. He does twice his usual speed in it, runs red lights in it and I had to apply the handbrake to stop him reversing it sideways into the wall of our driveway. He has broken numerous things belonging to me before and just says "Not my property, not my problem".

My mother has no licence and no insurance. Not that she lets this stop her driving my dad's car.

My little brother has never driven a car in his life.

But you obviously know my family better than I do... :rolleyes:

Advertisement