Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Social Behaviour

Options
  • 28-10-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Last night a (nice single Mums) car was completely burnt out down the road from me. (I live on the outskirts of town btw.)

I just answered a knock on my door to a few kids singing Christmas carols in halloween masks (:confused:), I asked them why they were singing carols, they said "give us somethin" so I said no and shut the door. I went out five minutes later and my plant pots had been kicked all over the place. Lovely.

Hows things for the rest of you going? Do you see much anti-social behaviour where you live?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

See plenty of it over here Sueme. Trick is to not answer the door and ignore the little blighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

sueme wrote: »
    Last night a (nice single Mums) car was completely burnt out down the road from me. (I live on the outskirts of town btw.)

I just answered a knock on my door to a few kids singing Christmas carols in halloween masks (:confused:), I asked them why they were singing carols, they said "give us somethin" so I said no and shut the door. I went out five minutes later and my plant pots had been kicked all over the place. Lovely.

Hows things for the rest of you going? Do you see much anti-social behaviour where you live?

It's widespread. I've heard many stories about little feckers holding people to ransom. Somebody will tell you Sligo's not that bad and not be bashing it, but it does happen. Maybe it happens elsewhere too, but all I could tell you about is Sligo because that's where I live. I know people who've had their car keyed, windows broken, flat burgled, fireworks in the letterbox, pets chased etc. I've had my wing mirror broken (€200:() my car kicked, and some little f***kers tried to steal my brother's phone by facing him down. He told what he'd do and they legged it, but they were 14ish and he was 21.
    Also heard they're putting firelighters on people's car tyres and lighting them now.
    Sad to say to an adult trying to carry on a normal, decent life, but not antagonising them is the best route.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Big_Mac wrote: »
    See plenty of it over here Sueme. Trick is to not answer the door and ignore the little blighters.

same here, dont answer the door anymore unless am expecting some one

had three lads in track suits call to the door last xmas, and sang the worse redention of the chorus to 'we wish you a merry xmas', asked them was that it, and told them to come back once they put in some effort

dont notice to much trouble where i live, you do get a few skangers hanging about but they dont really trouble any one

lived in letterkenny for a few years, and in one of the estates i lived in, you had the egging at halloween, snowballs thrown at passing cars in the winter, stuff taken from skips for a bonfire, once the bonfire was in the skip, and general roudyness (was in one of the rougher parts)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

irish-stew wrote: »
    dont notice to much trouble where i live, you do get a few skangers hanging about but they dont really trouble any one

What grounds do you have to refer to them as skangers if they don't trouble anyone? Skangers, imo are the people who will burn out someone's car or try to rob them. From what you've said you have a group of people (more than likely teenagers) who hang around your area but bother nobody. Not skangers?

I have lived in Limerick. I can confirm that everything I've seen/heard of here, I've seen/heard of there too.

I have lots of friends in other parts of the country who tell the exact same stories as we do. It's not based solely in Sligo and Sligo isn't the worst for it. It's country wide. All you need to do is have a look at the rest of boards to see that.

That being said it doesn't make it any less a pain in the arse. And I wouldn't open my door at this point unless I'm expecting somebody either.

Limerick is a much bigger town than Sligo. Sligo should be easier to police, seeing as everyone knows everyone like people say. Having said that, I've spent some time in Limerick and it's pretty bad in places. Sligo being so small, the town center is part of any little skanger's patch. In places like Limerick, they stick to their own area.
    I had a friend who had his rear passenger window kicked in outside the barracks last year. They tried to kick in the rear one too (footprints all over the bootlid). Shows how scared of the Gardai these young fellas are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Skangers are everywhere of course. I'm just talking about the area we live in. (To a non-Sligo person: Sligo is lovely, but like the rest of the world there are thugs here.)

I'm actually wary of not answering the door, at least if I answer I know who I'm dealing with (and these are just kids). I have told my daughter not to answer it anymore though.

I have started to write a few different things here, but stopped (not like me eh?!) because I don't want to bring trouble on myself. I think the bad guys are winning. People are afraid to say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I'm actually wary of not answering the door, at least if I answer I know who I'm dealing with (and these are just kids). I have told my daughter not to answer it anymore though.

Obv that you are only trying to do what is right by your daughter but
    Teaching your daughter fear will only turn her into a victim

Its rare for a sc*mbag to pick on a confident person
    kids need interactions with strangers to develop

Anyway the numbers say that
    99% of what happens to kids is done by a person from within the family/friend/trusted circle
    Oh and most kids will have nothing too bad happen to them

Again this isnt aimed at you as a number of people have said same but this not answering the door nonsence is the reason that they are running wild, people twice the size of them showing fear

Was walking through "a rough area" recently at night and young fellas (13-15)started throwing stuff at me, i started laughing they called me out, i started walking towards them (with no intention of anything happening or getting close enough for anything to happen) they ran away

That not brave, its not me boasting about being cool or hard its just life, im bigger than them, if i stand up to them they will probably back down, if they dont stand down chances are i was getting a kicking anyway (before i started walking towards them they were huddled, talking and then started walking towards me :( )

Its been proven that victims give of signs of fear (in a lot of cases not all!)

Anyhu it wasnt all peaches and cream years ago, it was pretty much just as bad, just didnt get wall to wall coverage on the news, Daily rac.. i mean Daily Mail
    They only report this stuff because its cheap and gets viewers/readers

Before Race attacks in dublin there used to be "Culchie bashing"
    Which was far more frequent than any of the current stuff just didnt get reported

4 Big differences between then and now
    1. Media coverage
    2. Head shots (scum of the earth, kicking people in the head should be 5 years in jail no questions)
    3.Sugarry booze (instead of tired and drunk you get hyper and drunk)
    4. Police used to sort it with a clip round the ear, police have no powers now but THATS THERE FAULT, over stepped the mark way to often, beating people up for fun etc
    I have started to write a few different things here, but stopped (not like me eh?!) because I don't want to bring trouble on myself. I think the bad guys are winning. People are afraid to say anything.

Ya well people who point out bad things espically on this forum get called negative and non-constructive when in truth pointing out the bad can be a start towards improvment (in pretty much everything)
    might explain why so few people come on here now?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

What part of town was it sueme?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Haven't been out in town in a while as living mainly in dublin but had a few scoops on Friday and some young buck had some confidence probably from the alcohol in his system. So he decide he fancied a ruck, he was probably expecting his mates to be a little quicker and ended up a little sore. His mates had a little cop on and backed away. There are easier marks than me don't know why he picked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Two little jerks threw snowballs at me back in January. Hit me in the face.

Little did they know I'd just quit my job (under duress) and I was looking for something to be angry at. I chased them all the way to the top of the estate, but they got away. Kept an eye out for weeks though, to see if I could catch them going into their own house so I could have a word with the parents.

I wouldn't mind so much except these same little jerks got a fiver each off John and I for some school fundraiser not a month before.

• Advertisement

Standing up to them and showing no fear would be my tack as well, but that's alot easier for a man in his twenties or thirties than for women and teenagers. And even then you're at a risk of being massively outnumbered, their big brothers coming around the corner on receiving a hasty phonecall, or becoming a marked individual, at risk of being set upon at any stage over the following months should they be astute enough to remember you.
    Spitting (on people) is the new opeming gambit for these little f@ckers. It's happened several people I know recently.

p.s. And obviously standing up to them is Xiney's approach as well, having seemingly gone medieval on those schoolchildren. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TradeSecrets

Take out a Hurley and start swinging.......They'll learn !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ASBO the little blighters.

I lived in Sligo for a year minus two weeks.

In that time I was:

- assaulted by a drunk student: while walking home arm and arm with my husband along the Mall by the hospital, a student reached out and grabbed my breast. Mr. Xiney didn't notice until I stopped to call the gardai, who, fair play, based on my description stopped the guy and gave him a strong caution. Were this incident to have occurred later in my residency I probably would have opted to have him arrested, but this was my first month and I treated it as a giant anomally.

- forced due to my moral and ethical compass to quit a job

- assaulted again, this time by children throwing snow balls which were really more like balls of ice

- assaulted by a car full of drunk students who threw a bottle at me as I cycled home from work and shouted abuse at me

- shouted at by students on several other occasions while cycling home from work, including one time when a drunk girl attempted to grab my bicycle (I was walking home from the pub with Mr Xiney) and another time when another drunk girl walking towards me decided to play chicken (after swerving once, I kept going straight, it was going to hurt her more than me, until her friend pulled her out of the way)

I don't even like going out at night in Ireland. I'm always afraid something is going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Not that it matters but the students probably were not sligo types

Now the Student who takes a grab at you down in Galway thats different, if he winks at you while he is doing it (and does it without looking like a farmer talking to a goat), he is probably from sligo;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Xiney wrote: »
    I lived in Sligo for a year minus two weeks.

In that time I was:
    - assaulted by a drunk student: while walking home arm and arm with my husband along the Mall by the hospital, a student reached out and grabbed my breast. Mr. Xiney didn't notice until I stopped to call the gardai, who, fair play, based on my description stopped the guy and gave him a strong caution. Were this incident to have occurred later in my residency I probably would have opted to have him arrested, but this was my first month and I treated it as a giant anomally.
    - forced due to my moral and ethical compass to quit a job
    - assaulted again, this time by children throwing snow balls which were really more like balls of ice
    - assaulted by a car full of drunk students who threw a bottle at me as I cycled home from work and shouted abuse at me
    - shouted at by students on several other occasions while cycling home from work, including one time when a drunk girl attempted to grab my bicycle (I was walking home from the pub with Mr Xiney) and another time when another drunk girl walking towards me decided to play chicken (after swerving once, I kept going straight, it was going to hurt her more than me, until her friend pulled her out of the way)

No wonder you quit the place!
    Though, ditto about the snowballs. I was walking into college one morning and narrowly escaped being pelted with them.
    IMO, parents have to take a good chunk of the responsibility for their kids' anti-social behaviour. I bet they don't even know where their "precious little darlings" are half the time

What's there for them to fear though. The Gardai are hit and miss whether they want to deal with you or not, and even if they do, hit and miss in achieving something. Even all out brawls on the street are dealt with in the time honoured, "Ah, lads! Go home. Leave it. Come on. Home with ye". Despite the fact that an innocent victim might have received a kicking in the gutter. It might be paperwork evasion, but that's no consolation if your sitting in casualty all night. It seems these gurriers weren't taught respect growing up, so fear should be used to control them. Fear of arrest, fear of court and fear of prison. Sounds harsh, but I wouldn't mind that scenario because I'm not an anti-social thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

What was it like last night?
    A friend driving late through Grange said the place was full of Gardai, counted 4 public order vehicles, and there was a roadblock as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Last night,my friends are I were walking around the corner onto O' Connell street and got hurled abuse by a group of 12/13 year olds.. Couldnt believe it. They were so young and the most of my friends are quite tall. We were all dressed up for Halloween, so for all they know, we could have been anyone. We just ignored them and laughed... then they started to follow us up the street and continued to shout the abuse.. At once we all turned and ran towards them. They ran away of course but when we turned again to continue on our intended direction, they again began to follow us... shouting abuse..
    Little scumbags... I hate that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 freeme

Take out a Hurley and start swinging.......They'll learn !!!!!!

I hit one of them today after a year of abuse and his father is taking me to court.

• Advertisement

freeme wrote: »
    I hit one of them today after a year of abuse and his father is taking me to court.

And let this be a warning to anyone who uses violence to deal with harassment.

Get the police involved before they have to be called on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Xiney wrote: »
    And let this be a warning to anyone who uses violence to deal with harassment.

Get the police involved before they have to be called on you.

Is that really the alternative to anti-social behaviour? I mean logically it seems to be the alternative to giving them a good battering but i remmeber when i was younger my mother was given a caution by the gards because a young lad had been harrasing me, my mother cursed while giving out to him from down the street and she was accused by this little sh*t of assaulting him. Even when he confessed my mum hadn't, she was still left upset by it and what had it solved? the gards had cautioned her and the abuse i received doubled from this guy because he knew he could get away with it.

I hate to be critical but i don't think the gards do a good enough job if i'm honest. They refuse to come into our area for what they refer to as "small crimes". A man was stabbed right in front of me one day and the gards had to be rang by 7 homes before coming down, it took them half an hour and the ambulance wasn't much quicker.

I think from reading some of the stories here it is very saddening. Has Sligo become so bad that when we are the targets of anti social behaviour the only thing we can do is either call the gards and hope that they can do someting; which is rare in most occasions. Or we can just try and put up with it and hope that they do not as much damage as if we react to them?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

il gatto wrote: »
    What's there for them to fear though. The Gardai are hit and miss whether they want to deal with you or not, and even if they do, hit and miss in achieving something. Even all out brawls on the street are dealt with in the time honoured, "Ah, lads! Go home. Leave it. Come on. Home with ye". Despite the fact that an innocent victim might have received a kicking in the gutter. It might be paperwork evasion, but that's no consolation if your sitting in casualty all night. It seems these gurriers weren't taught respect growing up, so fear should be used to control them. Fear of arrest, fear of court and fear of prison. Sounds harsh, but I wouldn't mind that scenario because I'm not an anti-social thug.

I agree with this.
    Respect is the most important lesson a young child must be thought at home and during primary school. This may sound very simplistic and some of you may think that I'm a fascist but I have come to the conclusion over the years that the abolishing of corporate punishment was the beginning of these type of problems that we are having with some young brats today.

Of course corporate punishment was widely abused by a lot of people in positions of trust and authority and something had to be done about this, but a blanket ban! Now THAT was a big mistake!

Years ago when I was in primary school, we were thought to respect all of our teachers and were perhaps a little scared of them, not because they might hit us (they rarely did by the way) but the fact that they could if they wanted to. Most of the surrounding schools were the same by all accounts. That being said, It was a marvelous school with great teachers and little or no bullying either. I still remember the day I left that school and how much I missed each and every one of them.

Wind the clock forward 35 years.

A female teacher friend of mine tells me recently that for her, the confrontation she faces each day in her school is horrendous. Don't let anyone tell me that if these little sh*ts thought that they faced the possibility of a 'sting' of a cane every time they deserved it, they might think twice before thinking of abusing her and her fellow teachers.

I'm sure there are some bleeding hearted liberals out there who will disagree with this point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Jabby wrote: »
    I agree with this.
    Respect is the most important lesson a young child must be thought at home and during primary school. This may sound very simplistic and some of you may think that I'm a fascist but I have come to the conclusion over the years that the abolishing of corporate punishment was the beginning of these type of problems that we are having with some young brats today.

Of course corporate punishment was widely abused by a lot of people in positions of trust and authority and something had to be done about this, but a blanket ban! Now THAT was a big mistake!

Years ago when I was in primary school, we were thought to respect all of our teachers and were perhaps a little scared of them, not because they might hit us (they rarely did by the way) but the fact that they could if they wanted to. Most of the surrounding schools were the same by all accounts. That being said, It was a marvelous school with great teachers and little or no bullying either. I still remember the day I left that school and how much I missed each and every one of them.

Wind the clock forward 35 years.

A female teacher friend of mine tells me recently that for her, the confrontation she faces each day in her school is horrendous. Don't let anyone tell me that if these little sh*ts thought that they faced the possibility of a 'sting' of a cane every time they deserved it, they might think twice before thinking of abusing her and her fellow teachers.

I'm sure there are some bleeding hearted liberals out there who will disagree with this point of view.

so respect is fear?? Dont think there is a lot more or less voilence than 30 years ago, just the papers writing about it changed, the same was said when rock and roll was coming up and every generation we hear all this over again. I go out in weekend in sligo and never came across anything, no fights no abuse. I dont live in sligo town though but I lived in very rough aera in Rotterdam and its the same evry where, I learned there that police is never an option or solution. It always makes things worse. and as we have all seen in the UK asbo's are not working either, they are a badge of honour. Never seen anything really work to be frank. I never had any problems myself though but could see what was going on.

Just thought i'd link to this thread if anyone's bored:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055341544

My views on it are made clear in there. All these people need is a good beating as far as im concerned.

so respect is fear?? Dont think there is a lot more or less voilence than 30 years ago, just the papers writing about it changed, the same was said when rock and roll was coming up and every generation we hear all this over again. I go out in weekend in sligo and never came across anything, no fights no abuse. I dont live in sligo town though but I lived in very rough aera in Rotterdam and its the same evry where, I learned there that police is never an option or solution. It always makes things worse. and as we have all seen in the UK asbo's are not working either, they are a badge of honour. Never seen anything really work to be frank. I never had any problems myself though but could see what was going on.
    Never said respect is fear.

Twisting of words going on here.

What I'm saying is that there should be limited corporal punishment in schools if only to act as a deterrant.

As for fear....30 years ago It would have been unheard of for an adult teacher to be afraid of a pupil. Today it's very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Jabby wrote: »

Corporal punishment was not practised when I was in school. Yet I have never in my life disrespected a teacher or any authority figure. Because I was taught at home by my mother that I should respect my elders and figures in authority. If I was to disrespect anyone in the way children/teenagers do now I would have been facing a severe punishment at home.

In saying that, my mother never in her life lifted a finger to me or any of my brothers (that I am aware of anyway, some of my brothers are 13/14 years older than me. I do think they'd have mentioned it if she ever had though). She never had to. And my mother wasn't a hard woman, she rarely raised her voice. She had a look that we got if we were acting up and that was that. It stopped. She was very open with us and communication was nearly always easy. I would never have been afraid to mention that I had alcohol before I was 18 to her. I wouldn't have been afraid to come home and tell her I was pregnant as a teenager. And I honestly believe that that is the reason that I didn't (and still don't) drink as a teenager. I didn't smoke and never touched any drugs. I don't have any children. (I'm 22 now). Being able to communicate with your parents has a huge effect on a child imo and is extremely important. (Now in saying that, neither me nor my mother were perfect and I did spend my teenage years at war with her regardless. :D)

I don't think corporal punishment is necessary especially not in primary school. You should be taught respect at home by your parents/guardians. Small children do not need someone to hurt them everytime they are bold. I think the effects of that will traumatise them more so than do any good.

I understand that the fear of corporal punishment would make a huge difference. I have no doubt that it would. I'm not a bleeding heart either. I think the justice system in this country is a joke and I agree with the concept of corporal punishment, but it is never going to work. Ever. The wrong people will always end up with the power in their hands. I can imagine my best friends 7 year old would be terrified if she ever thought that her teacher could hit her if she was bold and it would have a detrimental effect on her. She's a very clever child, and she's good. She respects people. (I say people because she respects everyone from fellow classmates to adults). She doesn't get slapped if she's bold. She's taught at home to respect people and to be well behaved. It comes from her parents and the people around her.

It will always come from home. Not school. You can teach a child anything in school but if they're going home to parents who have no respect for anything you'll be knocking your head off a brick wall. (In my opinion anyway).

It's the law that needs to change. It's leading by example. Let teenagers and adults understand that if they do wrong they're going to pay for it. Then you'll have small children who aren't looking up and seeing that when they grow up they can do as they like because their older brothers/sisters/parents are getting away with everything. And let parents raise their children to understand that regardless of getting away with it, it shouldn't be done in the first place. Wishful thinking maybe but if I ever have kids that's how I'll be raising them.

I have to agree with almost all of what you say takola but I still maintain that the use of a very limited form of corporal punishment within reason for a serious offence should be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Parents are the problem,
    I dont, and never have gone out and caused anti-social problems because I was brought up properly by my parents. I was taught respect and that were consequences for all my actions, which were usally dealth with by my father.
    Parents are responsible for the children until they turn 18, and should have to deal with the punishment handed out, community service for parents and children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Wave a 2 by 4 about the place,your on your own.The gardai in this country are a disgrace,they dont deserve the air they breath

Advertisement