Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maradona New Argentina Manager

• 28-10-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

From elmundo.es

BUENOS AIRES | MADRID.- Diego Maradona dirigirá la selección argentina de fútbol, confirmó el ex futbolista tras la reunión que mantuvo con Julio Grondona, presidente de la Asociación del Fútbol Argentino (AFA).
    Maradona sustituye de esta manera a Alfio Basile, que renunció al banquillo albiceleste el pasado 17 de octubre tras la derrota ante Chile en las eliminatorias sudamericanas para el Mundial 2010.

Diego Maradona will manage the argentine football team, confirmed the ex-footballer after the meeting he held with Julio Grondona, president of the Argentine Football Association.
    Maradona replaces Alfio Basile, who resigned from the bench october 17th last after the defeat against Chile in the South American qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah big shocker this one. Sky News reporting it too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Thats a fcukin pisstake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Terrible appointment, would have been good if he was involved as a motivator in the dressing room or even training every now and then with them. Cant see him succeeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

"I am se gaffer and what I say goesshh."

"I am se gaffer and what I say goesshh."

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought of Stan at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

They had to get it over and done with at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Always thought they were going to name him after he announced thta he had put himself forward

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

if this dont work out it could mess up his iconic status in argentina a bit!....Stan was a legend before he took the irish job and now hes a bit of a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Astoundingly poor judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

comparing diego with stan...:eek:

FAIL..!

In fairness, he has no doubt passion to win, as anyone who has seen him watching from the stands will have noticed. Im sure he can kick up as much of a hairdryer racket in the dressing room as sir Alex.

I think he should be given a chance, but as someone pointed out it could have serious ramifications for his iconic status if this turns into a stan show.

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

this-will-not-end-well-cat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, I could manage those players to a World Cup win!

I wonder will how his relationship with future son-in-law Aguero will affect the camp. Will it cause divisions, will he be accused of favoritism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

No fúcking way.

I for one cant wait for his post match interviews...:pac:

Its a crazy turnaround of fortunes for the king, not so long ago he was staring death in the face, and now apparently taking charge of the national team ,lol

Theres only one Maradona thats for sure. I bet his old buddy fidel castro will be sending him a box of cubans finest on his appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No fúcking way.

Ah come on, it can't be that much of a shock. As someone said above, they had to get it out of the way. This is as good a time as any to get it done - you write off the 2010 WC and sack him after their participation in it comes to a premature end. And between now and that point you spend a lot of time identifying the right candidate and greasing the wheels for them to take over in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

An absolute joke of an appointment. Great player blah blah blah but this has epic fail written all over it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

To be fair, with Brazil and Argentina (top 2 national sides in the world) They often go for figure heads for the top spot as opposed to proven managers - While I think he is a fool I reckon he'll do well.
    And Stan comparisons are the biggest joke of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

i personally feel this is very like stans appointment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ah come on, it can't be that much of a shock. As someone said above, they had to get it out of the way. This is as good a time as any to get it done - you write off the 2010 WC and sack him after their participation in it comes to a premature end. And between now and that point you spend a lot of time identifying the right candidate and greasing the wheels for them to take over in the long term.
    My thoughts exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

meh, Van Basten was a rookie. While the end result of WC 2006 was qustionable (as was his sidelining of RVN, Kluivert etc) he led two great tournament qualifers, and the Dutch played without a doubt the most thrilling football of Euro 08. If it werent for the double whammy of facing a Hiddink side combined with the dark mood following the death of Boulharouzs daughter, I am confident they would have reached the finals. Would they have beaten Spain? They were a slaughtering goal machine beforehand, so why not? They certainly would have taken zee Germinz, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

i personally feel this is very like stans appointment.

Is it really though? Perhaps it will be an epic fail like Stan but in terms of the appointment i think its quite different. When Stan was appointed there were quite a few dissenting voices within Ireland. Sure Stan was good for Ireland but I don't think there is another person in the world adored as much as 'Diego' is in Argentina. When I was there he had God like status amongst the folks I talked to. Although logically speaking this makes little sense apart from his status, perhaps Diego was passing some of the white powder around the AFA's headquaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Yeah, I agree. Once his candidacy became known, they had to appoint him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Pffft, whats next Romario for Brazil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The likes of Argentia and Holland have a far superior pool of talent to choose from, installing a rookie manager to these countries is a risk but the talent more often than not will lessen the scope for failure, and in some respects the likes of Germany and Holland got away with appointing Klinsmann and Van Basten to a certain extent.

Appoint Maradona as Irish head coach and you have a massive problem, same as the Stan situation, it is the countries that have the least amount of talented players that need the experienced manager, something the FAI finally addressed, thank christ.

tdv wrote: »
    Pffft, whats next Romario for Brazil?

Nah I'd go for Edmundo myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

comparing diego with stan...:eek:

Yeah , your right, it's unfair. I dont think Stan was ever a coke head.:)

Boggles wrote: »
    The likes of Argentia and Holland have a far superior pool of talent to choose from, installing a rookie manager to these countries is a risk but the talent more often than not will lessen the scope for failure, and in some respects the likes of Germany and Holland got away with appointing Klinsmann and Van Basten to a certain extent.

What about France? Great pool, awful national team since post WC, led by a brutal manager. One could nearly say England has the players to go on auto pilot so to speak, yet a decent manager is vital.

Brazil doesnt have the calibre of players it once did (though I have a feeling a resurgance is imminent, some very promising younger lads coming up). The picking pool is cursed with a completely over the hill Ronaldo and a going there Ronaldinho.

i agree with boggles about the manager but just as i seen it, think germany are very sub standard to be honest for the size of the country.

like other than ballack and lahm do they have any real world class players?

i think klinsman and his backroom staff got the best out of those players he had at his disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

They had to get it over and done with at some stage.

Agreed. This man all but walks on water in Argentina and similarly to the status Alan Shearer enjoys in Newcastle - every time the job becomes available, there is a real public hankering for their appointment to the job. I can't see it working out but you never know...

• Advertisement

Klose?

Does it matter when they consistently go deep in tournaments? Their success has never been heavily reliant on having players who are universally recognized as "World Class". They are all about winning - not playing good football.

Well i think they played goodish football in 2006 world cup, but that is true.

i also don't think klose at the highest level is proper world class...robbie keane level i'd say.

besty wrote: »
    Agreed. This man all but walks on water in Argentina and similarly to the status Alan Shearer enjoys in Newcastle -

Not to mention Scotland. In work I once had to look at the ID of a Scottish girl born in 1986 (August IIRC)

Her full name was Maria Donna McSomething :pac: :D:p

Dunno if it is still going but there was a pub in Scotland called the Hand of God bar, where all the staff wore Argie jerseys. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Giving the greatest footballer of all time a managerial job, who'd have thunk it?

It was always going to happen eventually.

Would happen with any country.

If Baggio, Maldini or Berasi started managing in the morning they'd be given the Italy Job the second they asked for it (if it was free).

Same happened with Holand, Van Basten.

Germany, Klinsman.

Happens at club level a lot.

I reckon that he will do really fecking well and will have them playing some seriously attacking football.

could see a team of.

Carrizo

Zanetti Coloccini Demichelis Heinze

Cambiasso Mascherano

Lionel Messi Riquelme Tévez

Agüero/Milito

I'd pay to watch them play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Wouldn't imagine he'll last a year in the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd say he'll do grand, I can't imagine players not giving one hundred per cent for Maradona to be honest.

I think he mentioned before he would not have Riquelme, Zanetti or Cambiasso on his team.

cambiasso is actually not that good for argentina...seriously they might as well pick glenn whelan or darron gibson because i've never seen a player to do just nothing over 90 minutes.

I think Lucho is better than him as well, and I would love if Diego dropped Mascherano....terrible player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

cambiasso is actually not that good for argentina...seriously they might as well pick glenn whelan or darron gibson because i've never seen a player to do just nothing over 90 minutes.

I think Lucho is better than him as well, and I would love if Diego dropped Mascherano....terrible player.

You taking the p!ss with that Mascherano comment?

maby terrible is pushing it, but a very limited player. Argentina could and can do better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Mascherano will be captain.

• Advertisement

Oh sweet jesus...ah well i guess it leaves a space open for ireland to win world cup...the most overrated player since Claude Makelele.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

maby terrible is pushing it, but a very limited player. Argentina could and can do better than him.

Is this the same Mascherano that has been superb since joining Liverpool...dunno what you are basing your opinion on. Ok he doesn't score many goals or do anything flashey, but I would imagine he must be one of the toughest players to play against.

yes that is the same player. him and tevez two average players...kevin noland and heskey are probably better.

i will say since he has better players ahead of him for argentina his role in the team is more beneficial than it is for liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nah I'd go for Edmundo myself.

Both in a joint role tbh. Now that would be entertaining.

Oh sweet jesus...ah well i guess it leaves a space open for ireland to win world cup...the most overrated player since Claude Makelele.
    yes that is the same player. him and tevez two average players...kevin noland and heskey are probably better.

i will say since he has better players ahead of him for argentina his role in the team is more beneficial than it is for liverpool.

1191664289385zp9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

crazy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yeah , your right, it's unfair. I dont think Stan was ever a coke head.:)

He always sounded kind of stoned in his interviews.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've never been overly impressed with him. He was frankly awful on the few occasions I saw him with Corinthians and a bit of a water-carrier for Argentina.

Tevez, on the other hand...

Could we keep this on topic please guys, its not about liverpool, united or inter players....

as for Diego, well being probably one of the most famous names in the world and being linked to your countrys vacant managerial position is hardly crazy is it....

How many here have read his autobiography...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The most important thing that Maradonna must do is decide whether he wants Riquelme as the base of the team, or build around the next leader, Messi. Imo, Riquelme needs to step down, as talented as he is (arguably the best player in the world on his day), a team built around him needs two defensive midfielders behind him to 'mop up'. Also, Riquelme tends to disappear in the big games, going to the extent of avoiding big games in his last season at Villareal. And now that they have an excellent ball playing CMF in Gago, there is no need for both Mascherano and Cambiasso as destroyers, I think his time is up. The team should be built around the quick incisive play of Messi.

Id personally prefer Cambiasso and Gago as the CMF, as Cambiasso is better on the ball than Mascherano, and that CMF combination would be tight defensively too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement