Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Air Corps AW139 lifts crashed PA-28

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Horrible to see a Cherokee like that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Horrible to see any plane like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What is the purpose of this thread ?
    There are better ways of lauding the air corps and it's aircraft.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

jmayo wrote: »

To show the AW139 lifting the Crashed PA-28 which is rare as ive never ever seen an Air Corps Helicopter with an underslung load, did the topic name not give you enough information???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

The sadness of this event is not being disputed here. The fact that air crash investigators will need to look at this wreckage after their initial on site investigations, the wreckage had to be removed. When you think that it was half buried in a bog and even the emergency services had trouble getting to it, it took them a good while to even find it, how else were they going to get it out. You couldn't drive a truck across a bog like that to get it. It shows the versatillity of the AW139 and also it's nice to see that it is being used for something useful for a change rather than being used as a government taxi service.

Thanks for sharing the link Dave.

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote: »
    To show the AW139 lifting the Crashed PA-28 which is rare as ive never ever seen an Air Corps Helicopter with an underslung load, did the topic name not give you enough information???:confused:

Fair enough as we all know, you like taking photos of aircraft and you are a huge milmo air corps fan, but this could have been added to the existing thread which if I may say leaves a lot to be desired also.

I did not know the people involved but I know or I should say I have known people that have been killed flying and I am not a fan of the voyeuristic approach or the fact that people bandy about theories when they have no idea what went on.

PS if you want to see lots of sling load operations take a trip to Western Canada.

Fair enough as we all know, you like taking photos of aircraft and you are a huge milmo air corps fan, but this could have been added to the existing thread which if I may say leaves a lot to be desired also.

I do, but it's not my picture sir. See here:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...1111450_1.html

Text acompanying the picture can be read here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...061111450.html

I did not know the people involved but I know or I should say I have known people that have been killed flying and I am not a fan of the voyeuristic approach or the fact that people bandy about theories when they have no idea what went on.

What was "bandied" around? Its news all i did was provide the links, it made the news in the UK too..
    PS if you want to see lots of sling load operations take a trip to Western Canada.

Id rather go closer to home and see it in the UK with RAF Chinooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

jmayo,

chip on shoulder?,... much...oh much too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

People "band about theories" because they share an interest in aviation, learning about what happened and how it will be prevented in future. I and probably many others on boards often fly in PA-28s just like the one that went down and i'd like to know what happened to it.... I agree its not probably the nicest thing to discuss but its at all times with respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Didn't it hit a hill in low cloud? Sounds like a CFIT. The fuselage is in remarkably good condition to have killed 4 people. Normally a severe impact turns the fuselage into mangled junk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

affirm, relax jmayo.

The intention of these threads is as pclancy said, to learn about such accidents, how the accident chain may have occured with the express purpose of saving life by preventing future accidents or incidents.
    Yes, such reading and discussion can be grim but no-one is disrespectful and at the end of the day we can all learn something from these discussions and hopefully it will aid us in our flying careers.

"Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself."
    Archie Grice, Flight instructor.

such reading and discussion can be grim but no-one is disrespectful and at the end of the day we can all learn something from these discussions and hopefully it will aid us in our flying careers.

Damn right, well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Haven't noted too many discussions of as to why or how the plane did crash. However, there is some serious questions to be asked about the apparent time difference between the flight plan being closed and the plane being reported missing which initiated the search. An ordinary person would ask is their a system to be put in place that could improve on this?

Alright maybe I am getting too het up but I often see garbage theories posted, maybe not in this case but it does happen.
    Also I don't like the rubber necking that can go on.
    The next thing you know is the anti flying brigade get on their high horses and Kilrush goes west.
    Kilrush has already faced problems with number of movements allowed etc.
    From this incident there are questions regarding closing flight plans and handling flights terminating at non ATC airfields etc but these need to be handled by the accident investigation team.
    Hopefully out of that recommendations are put in place and flying becomes that bit safer.

BTW Pclancy, I have flown Pa28 and I never liked them.
    I had to fly them in baking sun, you had one door which you could not keep open when taxing alone and the bloody ashtray on the arm rest would get red hot and burn you. Give me a highwing Cessna anyday.
    Becuase I am a pilot, have flown this particular aircraft type, I am interested in finding out what happened.

BTW fireplace1982 have you anything constructive to add to this discussion ?
    Oh FYI I have a 2x4 on my shoulder due to fact on one side you have do gooders who think anything that flies is evil and should be banned, whilst on the other side you have supposed know it alls whose only flying experience is sitting in front of MS Flight Sims and flying down the back in a commerical jet.
    And I would say that the vast majority of people on this forum do have a genuine interest and a very good knowledge of flying/aviation so this is not a go at this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

jmayo,

nobody is bandying around any theories here.

whoever started the thread did so to highlight the fact that the 139 assisted the AAIU in their investigation and should be noted, nothing voyeuristic about it, no crackpot amateur crash investigators, just an enthusiast sharing an interesting photo. The AAIU would have had considerable trouble in moving the fuselage without assistance and as the 139 was able to assist ( an assistance that would not have been available to the recovery unit prior to the 139s inception ) the investigation can go ahead as soon as possible and the details will come to light in time. Visit Pprune (as you profess to be a pilot im sure you are a regular poster) and you will see as soon as an aircraft goes down the forums are flooded with discussion as to what happened, be they civil airline, GAT or rotary...is this unethical, distasteful, immoral... i dont know and neither do i care as i have never contributed to one, not out of some moral outrage but more out of a lack of accident details upon which a decision can be formed.
    Well done whoever posted the picture (although a similar one was in a number of national papers) and anyone who can see no interest in an irish military heli cargo slinging an airplane can save their moral outrage

Well done whoever posted the picture (although a similar one was in a number of national papers) and anyone who can see no interest in an irish military heli cargo slinging an airplane can save their moral outrage

Well said, i posted that link to the picture and the text that i found on another aviation site, not my picture, from a Newspaper.

Bottom line is it's news.

Advertisement