Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls today....

Options
  • 28-10-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Long time lurker but here it goes....Was having a discussion with a friend today about her weekend, I nearly fell off my seat when she told me that she had to take a family friend, who just turned 15, to the south doc to get the m.a.p.

Now I was no angel myself when I was younger, but really what is going on with the youth of today? At 15 I was still calling them willys, yes laugh at me everyone else did! I was over 2 years older when I lost my virginity and was the first of my friends to do so......So my question is, am I getting a bit fuddy duddy in my early 20's by being shocked at this or is it normal for 15 year olds to have had a few partners? At the rate things are going I'm going to be scared to bring children into this world with all the goings on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

fairly common, My 15 year old cousin was staying with me & i had to explain to her why sex with older men was just wrong :( but in hindsight we had a good time with me pretending to be a girl on MSN :). I know what buttons to push then again I got insider knowledge since I am a bloke. Some real freaks on the MSN stuff btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

m.a.p?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Morning after pill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

15 year olds having sex is one thing, 15 year olds having unprotected sex is kind of a bigger issue. Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

But I thought we were all really sexually liberated and womens bodys being out there is a positive thing?!

Theres all this sex out there for young people in the forms of The pussycat dolls,bratz dolls,newspapers, adverts,etc .Yet we're still grossly sexually conservative in my opinion. While one image of female sex is out there in a physical sense everywhere, any issues on sexual identity, your body, sexual health is rarely discussed.

When I did my GP rotation in Limerick we had girls as young as 14 coming in for the MAP. I wasnt really suprised,there was bound to be societal consequences of commodifying and cheapening the female body,this is one of them.

• Advertisement

Morning after pill

Clearly I'm very innocent :p

In all fairness, girls were having sex at a young age 50 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago....

For some reason our generation seems to think we invented underage sex. We didnt, we merely have the media tools to talk about it more

Cmol wrote: »

In fairness, women generally aren't much use with maps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

In all fairness, girls were having sex at a young age 50 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago....

For some reason our generation seems to think we invented underage sex. We didnt, we merely have the media tools to talk about it more
    Very true and dirty old men were around 50,20,10 years ago to but it's only in last 15 years or more the word ' pedophile ' has crept into our everyday vocabualry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

panda100 wrote: »
    When I did my GP rotation in Limerick we had girls as young as 14 coming in for the MAP. I wasnt really suprised,there was bound to be societal consequences of commodifying and cheapening the female body,this is one of them.

...and, there's no money to be made in empowering women to be informed about contraception, and to give them the skills and confidence to discuss it with their sexual partners.

Shampoo and moisturisers are sold to us by ads that tell us "we're worth it", maybe durex should be doing one (for both genders) along the lines of "i'm worth protecting".

Panda, when the 14 yr olds come in how did they react if they were asked about their future plans for contraception?

I've heard some real horror stories from ppl who work in that field, some teenagers who just.don't.want.to.know, others who "no, i could never go on the pill - all those chemicals in my body? just give me the MAP" and recurringly (and sadly) young women who just couldn't imagine a world in which it was acceptable for them to insist on their partners using condoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

latchyco wrote: »
    Very true and dirty old men were around 50,20,10 years ago to but it's only in last 15 years or more the word ' pedophile ' has crept into our everyday vocabualry.

As opposed to that neighbor who was 'a bit of a character'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

In fairness, women i'm generally not much use with maps :D

Fixed that for you

panda100 wrote: »
    But I thought we were all really sexually liberated and womens bodys being out there is a positive thing?!

That comes down to if you'd call a 15 year old a woman-i wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i loled

LolaDub wrote: »
    Fixed that for you

You're too kind :P

Or perhaps its only because its only very very recent that people have started talking about these things?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

really what is going on with the youth of today?
    This is the point at which you lost me.
    :pac::D

You're too kind :P

Wish i could say the same ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

LOL! Thats what Sat Nav is for!!! Now get back on topic!! :rolleyes:

I was having a discussion about M.A.P. with a (male) friend in the UK recently as they can get it over the counter there. He was quite shocked that its not something I've ever needed to use as apparently he has gone lots of times to get it with sexual partners when they had accidents or just didn't have condoms by the sounds of it. He wasn't impressed when I pointed out about STDs etc. It was his opinion that a once a year check up and the MAP would be fine... I just hope it doesn't backfire on him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

sat navs are boring. maps ftw i think. especially now that map has a double meaning

damn lazy peeps who make up TLA's as they go along...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I think the morning after pill for a women of any age is sad.

• Advertisement

Its over the counter at home too, which it should 200% be here!

€50 for a 5 min consult + €15 for the pill is ridiculously over the top expensive and as far as im concerned, a total money making tool for the clinics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Redpunto wrote: »

Why do you think that? What happens if the condom splits?

Galvasean wrote: »
    As opposed to that neighbor who was 'a bit of a character'.
    Yes indeed and every neighbourhood seemed to have a few of the characters .
    Or perhaps its only because its only very very recent that people have started talking about these things?
    Because they can now and having as somebody said ' the tools' to do so .Decades ago people would be afraid to even talk about these things never mind accuse the local charecter, or anybody, of anything.

Because....

why so? i've taken it, and I'm married! drunken nights of passion happen! even to the most careful!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Class. Its official I think I feel the man love for you.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

another 'sister'
    :(

Wibbs wrote: »

Eh, thanks, I think. You know the beard will have to go before you try any funny stuff, don't you?

Is the male MAP available ...........yet ?

• Advertisement

Is the male MAP available ...........yet ?

No when they refuse to ask for directions

Advertisement