Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls today....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

latchyco wrote: »

Because they can now and having as somebody said ' the tools' to do so .Decades ago people would be afraid to even talk about these things never mind accuse the local charecter, or anybody, of anything.

You're talking about 2 different points here - When I mentioned the tools that we now have to discuss these things, I was referring to the apparent 'epidemic' of underage sex, the tools being the media who scare monger people into thinking that we have created underage sex

As far as actually talking about things like paedophilia, its more of the stigma surrounding these issues and them being taboo's in society that stops people talking about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

LolaDub wrote: »
    No when they refuse to ask for directions
    Lazy sods :)
    Cmol wrote: »
    You're talking about 2 different points here - When I mentioned the tools that we now have to discuss these things, I was referring to the apparent 'epidemic' of underage sex, the tools being the media who scare monger people into thinking that we have created underage sex.
    I assumed you ment we have the tools ie, the internet to discuss topics which otherwise were not talked about much decades ago ,like underage sex .Like the ol odd charecter of yesteryear now might be refered to as a peodophile .That word wasnt as common in previous generations as it is now
    As far as actually talking about things like paedophilia, its more of the stigma surrounding these issues and them being taboo's in society that stops people talking about them.

Well people are talking about them a hell of a lot more than they use do ,there is no stigma discussing it or any other topic on the internet

Well people are talking about them a hell of a lot more than they use do ,there is no stigma discussing it or any other topic on the internet

Me and you might find it easy enough to talk about it, but I mean someone who is raped or abused - some stats say that 80 - 90 % of rapes go unreported

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I would say young people of this generation are having more sex, as in more frequently because we have better access to contraception. The only thing keeping previous generations of young people from roggering each other daily was the fear of pregnancy rather than a universal sense of piousness.
    The phrase "Get thee to a nunnery!" springs to mind. Basically if you had sex back then there was a very high chance of getting pregnant.

Heck, in my parents generation young people's sex education consisted of what you heard from hearsay. Apparently some of the common beliefs included:
    - you can't get pregnant if you do it standing up
    - you can't get pregnant the first time
    - you can get pregnant from oral sex

Sex was a thing to be feared back then.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Heck, in my parents generation young people's sex education consisted of what you heard from hearsay. Apparently some of the common beliefs included:
    - you can't get pregnant if you do it standing up
    - you can't get pregnant the first time
    - you can get pregnant from oral sex

What do you mean "hearsay" i've never gotten pregnant standing up, and didn't get pregnant the first time, and it is likely that my daughter did start off with the hubby wanting a BJ :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

I just think its a bit sad that girls so young are feeling the pressure to become sexually active at a young age. So many kids toys and clothes are so provactive, its almost as if they dont have a choice but to grow up into adults at a young age. I suppose its also a case of monkey see monkey do.

Was talking with my mother about it earlier and she reminded me that a 12 year old in the local primary school is expecting......

oh god that is just awful, that poor little thing, sure she can hardly have realised what she was doing? God, she needs a prayer or two said for her....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

I know its a bit of gossip and hearsay but its obviously been investigated and from what Ive been told the guy wasnt much older and both were well aware of what was going on.

thats just it though, they might have known what they were doing, but they just don't understand the consequences, they might think they do, how could they? they're only babies....

Me and you might find it easy enough to talk about it, but I mean someone who is raped or abused - some stats say that 80 - 90 % of rapes go unreported

I actually dont think pedophillia is a comfortable topic to discuss at all ,it's just that people accept that it cant be pushed aside like it was in days of yore .

I would say young people of this generation are having more sex, as in more frequently because we have better access to contraception. The only thing keeping previous generations of young people from roggering each other daily was the fear of pregnancy rather than a universal sense of piousness.
    Funny enough looking briefly through a book i got on C J Haughey the other day he is quoted as saying '' something i will regret till my dying day is that my generation were to old to expierence and enjoy the permissive society '' and he was only talking about the 60s / 70s yet he did play the field a bit in his old age

• Advertisement

I actually dont think pedophillia is a comfortable topic to discuss at all ,it's just that people accept that it cant be pushed aside like it was in days of yore .

Its not just Paedophilia, rape in general

Anyway, this is way way way off topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was 15.
    He was a fair bit older.
    He didn't know I was 15, I had lied.
    I knew what I was doing.

Some girls are fully developed women and sexual at that age, some are not.

Yes there should be better sex education and contraception advaililible.

Thankfully that girl had someone who she could go to and did get the m.a.p.
    rather then do nothing and be scared and hide a pregnancy or give birth off somewhere scared and alone.
    Thankfully these days there are option rather then been stuck in a magdalen laundry for the rest of your life with the baby taken off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Its over the counter at home too, which it should 200% be here!

€50 for a 5 min consult + €15 for the pill is ridiculously over the top expensive and as far as im concerned, a total money making tool for the clinics.

Agreed. Definitely. Pain in the arse tryin to hunt down a doctor when you're panicking!
    Redpunto wrote: »
    I think the morning after pill for a women of any age is sad.

Why exactly?
    Was talking with my mother about it earlier and she reminded me that a 12 year old in the local primary school is expecting......

Oh my... That's terrible. Poor girl.

Anyway, back to being 15! Although I'm sure some people are happy enough and capable of some sort of mature sexual relationship when they are 14/15, that would've been weird for me at that age... I knew everything I know now about sex and contraception and all that. But I was still a kid when I was 15. Heck I'm only 4 years past 15 and still a kid.

I left school last year and I'm honestly horrified at how some of the 13 and 14 year olds carry on. Jebus, Wesley attire hurts my eyes. Everything's so sexualised. I mean I'm no prude or anything, I love sex but surely there has to be some sort of limit?

God I talk alot of sh*te...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Call me old fashioned or whatnot, but I believe 15 is too young for children to be having sex. At 15 you have enough concerns than an unwanted pregnancy or an STD. At that age you are just learning about your body and many girls and boys are not fully aware of what implications a casual sexual encounter may have. Granted many of legal age and older are no better but I think there are laws in place for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Is the male MAP available ...........yet ?

Yup. 3 easy steps.

Take said female's phone.
    Delete your phone number.
    Profit.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Yup. 3 easy steps.

Take said female's phone.
    Delete your phone number.
    Profit.
    After the event ?

Cool , that's so james bond :cool:

I do know their was mention in the press recently of the male MAP ,hence my Q :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Clearly I'm very innocent :p

In all fairness, girls were having sex at a young age 50 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago....

For some reason our generation seems to think we invented underage sex. We didnt, we merely have the media tools to talk about it more
    One of the best conversations I ever had with my grandparents was one where they were honest and admitted that they did get up to all this stuff when they were kids too, none of the usual "that sort of thing never went on in our day" crap you get out of the elderly so much.
    In fact some of the stories they had would get you jail time these days yet were just a source of amusement for the locals when they were teens.

I'm afraid I'd no idea what the MAP was either, thought it might be an STD test from the original post.:o

As others have said, better that people be open about it all and deal with the problems as they occur than try sweep them under the rug in the hope that they'll somehow go away.

Redpunto wrote: »
    I think the morning after pill for a women of any age is sad.
    I think a genuinely unwanted pregnancy would be far sadder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Alessandra wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned or whatnot, but I believe 15 is too young for children to be having sex. At 15 you have enough concerns than an unwanted pregnancy or an STD. At that age you are just learning about your body and many girls and boys are not fully aware of what implications a casual sexual encounter may have. Granted many of legal age and older are no better but I think there are laws in place for a reason.

I don't see this tbh, an unwanted pregnancy or STI is still a serious dilemma for a 40-year-old.
    That comes down to if you'd call a 15 year old a woman-i wouldn't.
    Biology begs to differ - menarche occurs earlier with each passing decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rozabeez wrote: »
    15 year olds having sex is one thing, 15 year olds having unprotected sex is kind of a bigger issue. Idiots.
    At what age does the state give sex ed to the kids these days? Wonder how many are mammies by the time they get it?
    €50 for a 5 min consult + €15 for the pill is ridiculously over the top expensive
    You'd wonder how many girls consider €65 too expensive on a "maybe".
    He didn't know I was 15, I had lied.
    [off-topic] Wonder did he get charged with rape? Or if you thought of that consequence? [/off-topic]

=-=

Some girls never get to be girls. They skip their childhood, and become a mother.

I don't see this tbh, an unwanted pregnancy or STI is still a serious dilemma for a 40-year-old.

At least when you're a 40 year old in these situations you have the maturity and the finances to deal with it. I'm sure it's much easier facing a doctor at the age of 40 and not having to tell anyone else if you don't want to than it is facing a doctor and probably your parents at age 15.

• Advertisement

Yes, well at least a 40 year old will have had more chance to live life, travel and have a good education and, with enough life experience provide stability and nurture to a baby or get treatment for their STI. Before anyone says it, yes I am aware that some 15 year olds are well able to rear children but who exactly thinks that's a great idea? Look at the UK?

Of course women were having babies in their adolescence but we have progressed beyond the time where women were baby incubators and men were hunter gatherers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Really biology begs now?:p

Perhaps if people looked more on an emotional age and less on a physical age people would realise that different people are ready at different ages.

What i'm surprised about is how unexpected pregnancy seems to be the worst outcome of sex in most minds not an sti. I'm always surprised that the ads meant to discourage people from unrpotected sex are usually using possible pregnancy outcomes as the deterant. If std ads were used more i think that would deter both sexes

fonpokno wrote: »
    At least when you're a 40 year old in these situations you have the maturity and the finances to deal with it. I'm sure it's much easier facing a doctor at the age of 40 and not having to tell anyone else if you don't want to than it is facing a doctor and probably your parents at age 15.

You'd be surprised. there is an alarming number of young girls/women (depending on what way you want to label them) who see getting pregnant early and dropping out of school to mooch off the state as a valid career choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Maybe the fact that there is a 'recognised' acronym for the Morning After Pill is a clear indication of the youth of today's consciousness of sexual matters.

I'm always surprised that the ads meant to discourage people from unrpotected sex are usually using possible pregnancy outcomes as the deterant. If std ads were used more i think that would deter both sexes

Really? I think the thought of pregnancy to most teens is the worst outcome.. It's almost more real as most will have heard of someone in school who has become pregnant and not necessarily the girl down the road who got chlamydia.

Alessandra wrote: »
    Really? I think the thought of pregnancy to most teens is the worst outcome.. It's almost more real as most will have heard of someone in school who has become pregnant and not necessarily the girl down the road who got chlamydia.

Maybe in their minds it's the worst. But there are some VERY nasty STD/Is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Passenger wrote: »
    Maybe the fact that there is a 'recognised' acronym for the Morning After Pill is a clear indication of the youth of today's consciousness of sexual matters.

The fact that there is a recognised acronym for it is a clear indication that we have moved on in this country and there are now options there for those who have accidently found themselves in that situation. When my gf got pregnant at 15 I had no idea what the morning after pill was, much less any idea as to how to go about getting it.

I wouldn't change a thing about my son, but I'm glad that there are options and education available now to those who need it the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

tbh i dont think 15 is an uncommon age for people to be sexually active.
    though i dont think its right i had sex for the first time a month after my 15th birthday if i recall correctly ad i knew all the risks and knew exactly what could happen.at the time it was seen as normal even though i was the first out of my friends to do it and im the youngest.another two also did it at 15.out of a group of 8 girls only one girl is still a virgin and i know one girl only did it as she didnt want to be a virgin at 18 which i think is stupid!
    but i do think contreception should be more readily available.like i know you can buy condoms almost anywhere but i kow a lot of people whod be too embaressed to buy them so maybe the machines migght be used more if there were more of them

You'd be surprised. there is an alarming number of young girls/women (depending on what way you want to label them) who see getting pregnant early and dropping out of school to mooch off the state as a valid career choice.

These girls are spanners.
    What i'm surprised about is how unexpected pregnancy seems to be the worst outcome of sex in most minds not an sti. I'm always surprised that the ads meant to discourage people from unrpotected sex are usually using possible pregnancy outcomes as the deterant. If std ads were used more i think that would deter both sexes

I'm not really... Pregnancy would affect the lives of at least two or more people - your own life and the child's life to start with. Then the father, your own family, his family and whoever else is involved.

An STD is treatable i suppose. Not necessarily curable but treatable. I know in school we were told nothing about STDs at all. We were told that this is how pregnancy happens - end of. (i'm only out of school a year also)

When we were in 5th year we were asked was there anything that we wanted to be taught in particular. We all said we'd like to know more about STDs because we knew about the biological side of sex but nothing aobut the risks. We heard nothing more about it. I know nothing about STDs other than what I've looked up myself, I'm not nearly as well informed as I should be, I know I'm to blame for that but at the same time we need to educate younger kids about the huge risk of unprotected sex.

Most people I know wouldn't even consider STDs as a reason not to have unprotected sex. It wouldn't even cross their mind simply because we don't know anything. Pregnancy is the side-effect of sex that everyone screams about because it's visible.
    tbh i dont think 15 is an uncommon age for people to be sexually active.
    though i dont think its right i had sex for the first time a month after my 15th birthday if i recall correctly.at the time it was seen as normal even though i was the first out of my friends to do it and im the youngest.another two also did it at 15.out of a group of 8 girls only one girl is still a virgin and i know one girl only did it as she didnt want to be a virgin at 18 which i think is stupid!

I think your group of friends depends hugely on the attitude towards sex too. Most of my friends started having sex later on in their teens. The eldest of our group had sex for the first time just a few weeks ago at the age of 20. We didn't have anything against sex at all, we just didn't wanna put ourselves at risk of pregnancy at a young age. I think we'd all had it drilled into us by our parents!

• Advertisement

Other european countries advocate their young people have condoms with them at all times just the way you are rerminded to take your mobile phone with you .And yes ,children will be curious about their bodies aand young teens will want to explore ,nothing new and would imagine being that way since humans have being on the planet .

Advertisement