Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science combinations

Options
  • 28-10-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

So - What combination of science subjects are you doing? (We all know ag science isnt _REALLY_ a science btw :pac:)

And how are you finding them? What's hardest in your opinion? Easiest? Most fun?

Myself:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    (Applied maths on the side - not a science[technically] but related somewhat to physics)

Finding the three of them fairly ok. Chemistry is taking a lot of cramming as I had the worst teacher ever last year. Went into personal life storys every time we came across a chemical in the book. "When I was a kid that was used as...." 30 minutes later, we're all looking at eachother going 'wtf had that to do with anything?'

Biology is probably what I'm finding easiest. I can learn the stuff in my sleep, literally. Slept through classes last year :D Coming towards the end of the book though with only a few chapters left to cover, it seems like theres an awful lot of learning in it... Revision will be fun :eek:

Physics. The sciecne I'm finding hardest. Not sure if its just the annoying teacher who I've disliked since first year, or if its just not my thing, or what it is.. I just cant seem to like it.

Chemistry has got to be the most fun. Even since last year, it's always been a laugh. From the teacher not being able to use the data projector whiteboard thingy (Starboard) to someone stupidly splashing sulfuric acid on their face during an experiment. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is revising ~70 experiements from all 3 sciences. :eek:!

What about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Only do Physics, but it's probably my favourite subject.
    If you learn the definitions and are able to re-arrange formulae and plug in different numbers to solve one unknown, you're basically set.
    Alright, some of the topics aren't the most riveting (Wave motion for example) but overall it's grand.
    Physics FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I'm doing Chemistry and Biology. No physics in my school and wasn't too bothered taking it on outside of school.

I'm actually blessed - I'd picked Geography as one of my subjects but there was no room in any of the classes so I found myself in Bio. It's now my favourite subject. :D I find it really fascinating (particularly Human Biology) and am now hoping to do Medicine.

Chemistry, which I found really interesting at Junior level, I'm not so hot on now. The whole subject seems to exude dreariness to me. I don't find the knowledge of how things work at the atomic level as mind-blowing as I thought I would. Oh well. I enjoy it sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Doing Physics and Biology.

Biology - guess it's just a whole load of learning and shouldn't be too bad, but there's quite a bit we did last year that I just can't remeber at all. Like the nitrogen cycle - I know we did it but I couldn't tell you what it is or even what chapter it comes from. So yeah, guess I have a bit of revision to do.

Physics - Finding it quite hard tbh, have a good bit of work to do.

Should be grand in the both of them though, just a bit of work to do.

Am doing Geography too, know that's not a Science but Trinity recognise it as one :pac:

Doing Chemistry, Physics and Applied Maths.

Chemistry can be quite boring, but I find it a very easy subject, just lot's of learning and some basic maths, couldn't be easier.

Absolutely love Physics and Applied Maths, they're by far my favourite subjects; But I hate the electricity bits in Physics with a passion, it's so unbelievably boring.

To me Applied Maths is the most "fun" (I know that sounds odd) but I just love it, don't understand why more people don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm doing Chemistry and Biology- I love them both!

Biology involves a good bit of learning, but it really interests me so I don't find it difficult at all. I LOVE the human biology bits. The experiments are a lot easier than the ones in Chemistry, fo' sho.

I really like Chem too. But it's a good bit harder than Bio- a lot of definition memorising and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Coming towards the end of the book though with only a few chapters left to cover, it seems like theres an awful lot of learning in it... Revision will be fun :eek:

How?! That's very impressive, don't think we're even half way through, I'm a little worried...

I'm doing Chemistry and Biology. I've loved Chemistry since 5th year and really love the experiments. I only took up biology in April of 5th year so crammed the guts of a year into 6 weeks befre the Summer exams. That was a bit tough but at least I found it interesting so learning it was easy. I really like biology at the moment, expecially the bits that cross over into chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Piste wrote: »
    I only took up biology in April of 5th year so crammed the guts of a year into 6 weeks befre the Summer exams.

Now THAT is impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Heh not really, my other subjects did suffer a lot >.< I can cram, but I don't retain the information for every long so I'm learning it all over again this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Chemistry:this subject just annoys me im either really good at it or really bad.like in the last two chapter test ive gotten 8% and 77%.havent a clue how itll turn out.despite not being great at it it is quite interesting and most of the experiments aint too bad.

Biology:love it.its my easiest subject.can easily get a b in it.most of it isnt too bad.just hate the cell cycle and mitosis and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I'm doing them all!

Chemistry: My best subject. I just have such a good teacher who explains everything really well and is a genuine funny guy. I find it really interesting. I'll definitely get an A1.

Biology: Biology is alright. It's a very easy subject but there's just so much to learn which is annoying. Easy A1 anyway once I learn my stuff.

Physics: This is a really tricky subject. Some parts are grand but there's some really complicated stuff in the course that's just hard to get. I'll need to put a good amount of work in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Bio
    Chem
    Phys

Biology:Possibly my best subject, going for an A1

Chemistry:Class I enjoy the most, but I can struggle from time to time, but tbh I just need to go over the theory stuff that I kinda neglected to learn particularly well last year and I'll be grand.

Physics: Who knows? Took it up after Xmas last year, I'm not too badly off with it, but it definitly need a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

doing all biology physics and chemistry

unfortunately iv the same teacher for bio and chem and he is useless

physics i find really interesting, an easy to learn

bio is just a huge pile of learning, even though i really enjoy the stuff im learning but the sheer amount of it irritates me

chem in 5th year i was getting low b's and this year i started a grind and i'v gotten a1's in the past two tests, its slowly all starting to fit in together seening as iv started the organic chem

when it comes to getting the courses done, biology is the one im worried about, what with us getting a page READ in most classes

Advertisement