Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got the website but how to get a proper homepage???

Options
  • 28-10-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Hi There all,

Hope im in a place where i can get some help:eek:

I recently purchased a '.ie' website after going through the whole deal of registering a company. On top of paying a 2 year fee for the site of somewhere around 160 euro I then also paid the web hoster a small fee to enable me to chance to put up a simple one page site.

Im not that techie but I can manange the following
    1: log in to the hosting companies website and insert my user name and password
    2: Click on hosting section
    3: Click on domain overview
    4: Click on domain administration
    5: Click on my website name
    6: Click on web
    7: Click on edit

This is where the problems start

I have tried writing stuff in here but when you exit and log into my actual site the text is all over the place. Basically its one word after another.

I have also tried creating a html page through notepad and copying and pasting into the edit section but this doesnt work either.

Any simple solution would be greatly appreciated ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

can you type up an example of what you are putting into the edit section, Im not sure but it sounds like you are not using html but simple text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

tba wrote: »
    can you type up an example of what you are putting into the edit section, Im not sure but it sounds like you are not using html but simple text

When I copy and paste it here it looks like the below

How it works?

For the buyer

At present

But on the website it looks like

How it works? For the buyer At present

I dont know if this makes any sense.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Contact the hosting company - you have (well) paid them for the service so they should be able to give you some support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

The online editor may just be useless.

Try an offline editor, here's a free alternative to Dreamweaver
    http://www.kompozer.net/

Create something simple with that, save as a .htm file and upload that to your site using your web hosts control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Pay a local web designer to put together a page or a site for you, you should find this would be cheap enough. IMO if there's one thing worse than not having a business website it's having a shabby or poorly designed one.

If you have trouble finding someone PM me, would be willing to throw a simple page together for free for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

ok

there are two things that the edit section could be,

first it could be a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor, this means that the way you type it is the way it looks, font colour size etc...

or its a simple editor in which case you will need to format your text in html.

It looks like the latter

Html is a layout syntax that determines the style and formating of a web page at its most basic level

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML

the most basic .html document looks like this

[HTML]<html>
    <body>
    This is the stuff you will see.
    </body>
    </html>[/HTML]

as you can see it has alot of extra info that needs to be put in.

learning html is very simple i suggest starting here you can use this to test them before uploading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Tomthepost wrote: »
    When I copy and paste it here it looks like the below

How it works?

For the buyer

At present

But on the website it looks like

How it works? For the buyer At present

I dont know if this makes any sense.:(

Most browsers will display your text as is even if you don't use any HTML tags but if you have to remember one thing about HTML, it is - IT DOESN'T UNDERSTAND YOUR SPACES OR NEW LINES, FOR HTML ALL YOU YOUR SPACES OR NEW LINES WILL RESULT IN MAXIMUM ONE SPACE. Sorry for caps ;)

Advertisement