Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help deciding on phones N95 8GB, iPhone or... ?

• 28-10-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I'm coming to the end of a Meteor contract on Talk 300 (+ large data bundle) and unlimited landline calls, and evening and weekend any network calls and I get landline calls from my eircom line to meteor.

I'm being offered the N95 8GB at about €100 to stay with them.

I'm kinda thinking of the iPhone, but I'm not sure if I want to go with O2 as the iPhone package looks rather expensive in comparison. A lot fewer minutes and a whole lot less 'perks'. They even charge for 171 voicemail!

Regular O2 packs seem OK, but I'm just wondering which handset...

Same with Vodafone...

I'm not a fan of 3, but I might consider them if they could do a decent handset

Any suggestions, advice or general information would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

What do you want from your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Right now I use it for:
    Browsing the web, e-mail (gmail and IMAP), calls, video calls, making diary appointments, keeping memos, taking photos and listening to the radio. I use my iPod for MP3s and obviously making phone calls.

Currently have a Sony Ericsson W910i.

I kinda like the idea of the N95 as I can use it on Wifi with Blueface for VoIP at home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I love my N95 8Gb, its a great phone and would not change it for the world. Its robust, I have it crammed with MP3s, it has a standard headphones socket so I can use my Sennheisers on it. The wifi connection is great, I can surf for free abroad if I can find a free wifi zone cafe. Its well supported with cool applications e.g. frings, radio streaming. Camera and Video are pretty decent. It can be used for n-gage games (although the buttons make it a bit fiddly) All this whilst being very easy to use. For a 100 squid it seems a bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I have both the iPhone and N95 8gb, and I gotta say I really cannot choose between them. As a phone incl mp3 player and camera the N95 is far superior, but for anything internet related as in browsing or email the iPhone is vastly superior. So really its up to yourself what ya want out of a phone. I wish I could advise ya but I bought the iPhone to replace my N95 but as of yet haven't been able to part with it

Solair wrote: »
    video calls
    Cant do that on iphone.
    taking photos
    Iphone 2mp no-auto focus vs n95's 5mp auto focus and flash.
    and listening to the radio
    Built in radio in n95 - none in iphone
    I use my iPod for MP3s and obviously making phone calls.
    both have mp3 player but you can use any headphones with N95 instead of being limited.
    I kinda like the idea of the N95 as I can use it on Wifi with Blueface for VoIP at home...
    It is handy that the N95 supports SIP so you can use different providers of VOIP. The SIP support is well integrated.

I think it comes down to if you like the smooth look and feel of the iphone - it has a large touchscreen, has a qwerty keyboard via the touchscreen (which is handy for surfing and emailing), has a faster processor [more responsive], better battery life.

or the functionality of the N95 - 5mp camera with flash and autofocus (making the camera actually usable), proper GPS (Garmin XT, tom tom etc), video calling, SIP support, fring, opera mini (so doesnt need websites made specially for the phone), tons of free (and paid) apps, N-Gage games (plus tons of java games)...

I dont like that the N95 can feel a little sluggish at times, a touchscreen would be nice but overall I much prefer my N95 for the real things I can do with it over something that is smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

axer wrote: »
    both have mp3 player but you can use any headphones with N95 instead of being limited.

Any headphones works on the iPhone 3G AFAIK

Any headphones works on the iPhone 3G AFAIK
    Thats correct, just read about it. Big improvement there from the older iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

really dont like the iphone in all honesty, love the N95 8GB, a rebel of a phone! for me and many others the N95 8GB wins hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mcintyre10

lads i know this question is always asked but will ya's just clear it up for me. well my gf is goin to boston soon and i asked her to get me an iphone 3g so i can bring it back and unlock it but its a bit annoying wi d contract thing and i just wanna know is der anyway she can get outta tat shop wi out signing tat stupid contract.:Dthanks lads, appreciate it

Mcintyre10 wrote: »
    lads i know this question is always asked but will ya's just clear it up for me. well my gf is goin to boston soon and i asked her to get me an iphone 3g so i can bring it back and unlock it but its a bit annoying wi d contract thing and i just wanna know is der anyway she can get outta tat shop wi out signing tat stupid contract.:Dthanks lads, appreciate it

No no no no no no no no no NO! Sorry but imho there should be a sticky with top ten answers about those god forsaken iphones(because the thread is WAY too long!!!), get one from Italy, they aren't locked and you can put in any sim card! look them up on ebay!

• Advertisement

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    No no no no no no no no no NO! Sorry but imho there should be a sticky with top ten answers about those god forsaken iphones(because the thread is WAY too long!!!), get one from Italy, they aren't locked and you can put in any sim card! look them up on ebay!
    me gf is goin to boston not italy. der must be away of not signing d contract i read somwhere that if ya say its for a friend and they'll sign up later ya can get it withou d contract:(

Mcintyre10 wrote: »
    me gf is goin to boston not italy. der must be away of not signing d contract i read somwhere that if ya say its for a friend and they'll sign up later ya can get it withou d contract:(

Yes I gathered shes going to boston! but in boston you can't get away with out signing a contract and you dont in italy- thus I said about getting one in Italy! She'd be lucky if she gets away without a contract...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

It's a tough one, I've been using this N95 8GB for a few days and honestly, it's the business compared to my iPhone (the camera especially) but I just can't not have my iPhone now... can't explain why, just can't part with it (just yet.)

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Yes I gathered shes going to boston! but in boston you can't get away with out signing a contract and you dont in italy- thus I said about getting one in Italy! She'd be lucky if she gets away without a contract...:cool:
    yeah thats true i'll just tell her to flash d lad ehind d desk and see what happens:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Just buy it payg in ireland!!

Advertisement