Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random question...

Options
  • 28-10-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭

Just a little question!

I tend to talk to myself a bit when I'm driving along. I'll mutter things a bit like "ok and indicate now" or "ok i need to be in the left lane for this roundabout" and so forth!

My test is in two weeks time and I'm just wondering if this'll be frowned upon by the tester or if he'll just think I'm a bit mad?

Probably a stupid question tbh but I really want to pass my test! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Probably think you're bonkers... :P

It might actually annoy the tester, it would annoy me, and you really don't want to annoy them.

Keep it in your head.

They might think you've been rehearsing like crazy for the past while. I'd either:

1) Try to avoid talking to yourself

2) Say it to the instructor before you go out on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

tell them you have tourettes and mutter stuff about how its happening again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. If it helps you remember what you're doing then why not. I'd say it's quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

:D Thank ye all!

I don't do it all the time, I don't think I sound completely crazy. It's just thinking out loud I suppose. I shall try to tone it down a smidgen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Just jokeingly mention it to the tester that you have a habit of doing it, so he doesnt think your mad!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You could try getting a pre-test lesson from an instructor you've never met before and see if he/she comments on it, thinks it's distracting etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

fonpokno wrote: »
    I tend to talk to myself a bit when I'm driving along. I'll mutter things a bit like "ok and indicate now" or "ok i need to be in the left lane for this roundabout" and so forth!

Hi fokey, there are few advanced driving books that actually encourage this behaviour - it promotes situational awareness.
    The only thing bad is that the tester might take it verbatim and might pick up on things that you didn't say. If you confine it it to the important stuff then you'll be OK.

Good luck in the test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RedzDrivingScho

SteveC wrote: »
    Hi fokey, there are few advanced driving books that actually encourage this behaviour - it promotes situational awareness.
    The only thing bad is that the tester might take it verbatim and might pick up on things that you didn't say. If you confine it it to the important stuff then you'll be OK.

Good luck in the test!

I agree.....muttering something like..."checking the mirrors....signalling left....moving over..."......and not saying pedestrian about to walk onto road will show something you might not see.....but much applauds for what you're doing......it's a good way to help you not forget little things.....

Best of luck in the test.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Knix

Hey!

I actually do this too, I talk through the situations I am in when driving, I actually asked my instructor on my last lesson if it would be ok to talk like I do in the test and he didn't think there would be a problem.

All the advice on here is great as usual, I can see how it might get us in to a little bother if we don't mention some stuff and the examiner takes this to mean we didn't notice it... but at the end of the day, if you drive well and your observation is good it shouldn't matter...

Best of luck in the test!
    N

• Advertisement
Advertisement