Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The ( Jazz ) Crusaders"

• 28-10-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭

I've just spent a very enjoyable hour or two listening to this band. AFAIK they have never been mentioned here before, so I decided to put that right. ;) They ( Joe Sample- keyboards, Wilton Felder- sax & bass, Wayne Henderson- trombone, and "Stix" Hooper- drums ) formed in 1960, after having played together in high school. They called themselves the "Jazz Crusaders". They played basically hard bop ( and oh so well! ) at this stage. After nineteen albums, they dropped the "Jazz" in their title in 1971. They turned to electric instruments and played a kind of jazz/funk, again with great style IMO. It was at this time Larry Carlton, who came to be known as "the fifth Crusader" joined the band on lead guitar. He contributed no small amount to the bands general sound. Most people would know the "Crusaders" from their 1979 hit "Street Life" which made Randy Crawford a well known name. From this album to date I've not bought any of their music as I considered their best times were behind them. Nonetheless, they remain one of my favourite bands. Each time I return to their music it always sounds fresh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Thanks for that write up Rigsby - I have a lot of listening to do this month. :cool:

Any particular recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Daddio wrote: »

Any particular recommendations?

As "The Jazz Crusaders" : "Freedom Sound" "Tough Talk" These are two of my favourites, but most albums under the above name are good.

As "The Crusaders" : "Crusaders 1", "Crusaders 2", "Southern Comfort", "Chain Reaction", "Those Southern Knights".

As I am a big fan, there are hardly any pre "Street Life" ('79) albums that I dont like. :)

These albums ( with the possible exception of "1" and "2" ) are not in any Dublin shops AFAIK. I get mine on ebay.

Happy listening ! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

The only album I have of their's is The Festival Album. Live album, some excellent heads and some great solos. It's from the late 60s iirc, definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

my oul fellah introduced me to these. don't know the albums much, generally just have heard compilations but they are a great band with some great tunes (when they weren't too commercial). this thread has reminded to look for more stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

Once heard a rumour a few years back now that Louis Stewart was invited to join the Jass Crusaders

• Advertisement
Advertisement