Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will my insurance be going through the roof?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm a 21 year old student, a couple of months away from 22, who has been driving since the day I was 17 and passed my test first time before I was 18.

I had a perfectly clean driving record until recently. I wrote off my sisters Toyota Corolla about a month ago which will probably go down as my fault and yesterday I picked up two penalty point for speeding in my Mums car.

I was just wondering if there's any chance my insurance won't go through the roof next year? I'm currently named driver in my Mums car (00 Subaru Legacy) and have my own commercial policy on a '92 Hilux Surf.

I presume there's nothing I can do before/while renewing my insurance to soften the blow of having to tell them i've crashed and gotten points??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

IT depends on whose insurance you claimed for the crash. If you claimed from your sisters insurance she would take the hit on the no claims insurance. If you claimed on your policy you will loose your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I had a perfectly clean driving record until recently. I wrote off my sisters Toyota Corolla about a month ago which will probably go down as my fault and yesterday I picked up two penalty point for speeding in my Mums car.

Are you insired on your sisters car?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Yea, I was a named driver on my sisters policy. Does that mean that come renewal time my policy for the Hilux should only be affected by the points and not the crash?

My sister has the no claims discount protection but that just means they get the money back from you in other ways doesn't it?

All policies are with FBD btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Yes the claim will comes from your sisters policy, the ncb protection will not work if she has another crash.

The points should not make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They ask have you had any claims or convictions in the last x years. Unless your sister tells her insurance she was driving then you have had a claim, just not on your insurance. Happened me years ago, crashed mothers car on her policy. Both of us where hit:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Del2005,
    Technically you didn't have any claims or convictions if you were only named. Your Mother had the claim - you didn't have a policy to claim anything off.

If they asked - have you had any accidents in the last 5 years the answer would have been yes.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

The claim for the Corolla shouldn't impact on your own insurance, and the difference for the points will only be small. When I got my 2 points the insurance policy went up €40 the following year. Not a whole lot really, and practically erased by the growing NCB I had been building so it never really affected the policy that much. Think in the end there was something like €20 in the difference come renewal time.

Advertisement