Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Romeo 156

Options
  • 28-10-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

please help.....

I get an awfull sound when i start my car that seems to be coming from the starter motor.. like a crunching noise.. which is brief and does stop once the car has started ...

any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Waiting longer than 20 minutes helps.

This isn't, contrary to belief, a help board where people are on hand to answer any question you might have.

to your question, used to happen to my car the whole time, doesn't happen anymore at all..asked a mechanic about it and he said that it is indeed the starter motor and it's nothing to worry about. It will come and go..apparently.. :rolleyes:

All sound with the car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

thanks for advice

p.s no need to be a smart arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Remo wrote: »
    thanks for advice

p.s no need to be a smart arse

No need to be impatient either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Would agree with Clio that unless your car is ablaze and your doing 120KPH on a motorway whilst posting form your mobile, being patient is required, especially with Alfa problems! (A few posters will tell you that owning an Alfa will guarantee this situation too.)

On the positive, I've learned a hell of a lot from people here.:)

On the noise, is it a proper grinding noise or a tappety engine sound, after you turn the key how long does it last?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Alfa owner is that way
    > http://www.alfaowner.com

They have the solution to every problem ever with an alfa romeo...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Where? I can only see the scrollbar that direction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

IS it a metalic sound or a sound like a big diesel tractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it sounds like a diesel and it isn't one then it could well be the variator. A known issue with the 156.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

And can be an indication that the timing belt could go as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

http://www.alfaowner.com is that way
    >

They have the solution to every problem ever with an alfa romeo...

Must be an enormous site :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Joker wrote: »
    Must be an enormous site :pac:

You're thinking of the website of boring motoring clichés.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    And can be an indication that the timing belt could go as well?

The variator going isnt a sign of a belt about to snap?(It means the variator wasnt changed when the belt was done though)

My variator is gone and will be done on the next TB change in about 14k. Is there any other negative effects of a fecked variator other than the diesal noise on start up?

BTW how much are indos or TI motors charging to do a TB change thesedays, id say its hefty enough. Am thinking about tackling it myself some weekend, theres a few guides on the internet and apparently its not as hard as its made out to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

OP I'd say that noise is your variator alright. I've a similiar sound on my Alfa on start up.

Timing belt is gonna cost me €250 plus a new variator next time I get it done. Only another 20k to go though :)

miju wrote: »
    OP I'd say that noise is your variator alright. I've a similiar sound on my Alfa on start up.

Timing belt is gonna cost me €250 plus a new variator next time I get it done. Only another 20k to go though :)

Eh were will do a timing belt for 250quid!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Eh were will do a timing belt for 250quid!?

Sounds about right for the timing belt kit (belts, tensioners, waterpump, etc...), I'm guessing he's doing it himself.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Sounds about right for the timing belt kit (belts, tensioners, waterpump, etc...), I'm guessing he's doing it himself.

Nope I'm lucky in that one of my best friends is a mechanic for an official Alfa main dealer and so he looks after my little beauty for me :)

Can cost sometimes to keep him sweet though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

miju wrote: »
    Nope I'm lucky in that one of my best friends is a mechanic for an official Alfa main dealer and so he looks after my little beauty for me :)

Can cost sometimes to keep him sweet though
    I've never heard of an Alfa main dealer employing an actual mechanic:confused:.

well there you go believe it or not there actually 3 of em and another couple of apprentices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

• Advertisement
Advertisement