Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE-5 Set to be re-textured?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

No its not official. Relax. But in light of the recent LBP fiasco, i thought it would be good to discuss the issue of PC ****e.

After reading this article im sick to my balls. Its the same with the Danish cartoon thing its a form of art, not anti cultural or racist. This game is a statement of beauty, of physics, graphics, storyline and disturbing imagery, not racism.

Should they change the textures to white, yellow or purple because of freakish ignorant PC zombie brigade idiots on teh hinternets? NO, but theres a possiblility that they will given recent previously stated events. No company wants this and they will do much to save face.

If theres a similar thread please reply and i will ask a mod to delete this one.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

For a game marketed to children and young adults

I wouldn't worry about any article written by a games journalist who thinks RE5 is marketed towards children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I read about this back when it was first announced, tbh some people just look for any excuse to shout "racist" at large entertainment companies any chance they get.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I read about this back when it was first announced, tbh some people just look for any excuse to shout "racist" at large entertainment companies any chance they get.

what do you mean by "some people"?
    You're the racist.

Aye everyone is a racist now based on the opinions of everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

No its not official. Relax. But in light of the recent LBP fiasco, i thought it would be good to discuss the issue of PC ****e.

After reading this article im sick to my balls. Its the same with the Danish cartoon thing its a form of art, not anti cultural or racist. This game is a statement of beauty, of physics, graphics, storyline and disturbing imagery, not racism.

Should they change the textures to white, yellow or purple because of freakish ignorant PC zombie brigade idiots on teh hinternets? NO, but theres a possiblility that they will given recent previously stated events. No company wants this and they will do much to save face.

If theres a similar thread please reply and i will ask a mod to delete this one.

If the game is, as you claim "a statement of beauty, of physics, graphics, storyline and disturbing imagery, not racism" then what does it matter if they retexture the game?
    If, as you claim, race is unimportant then a retexturing shouldn't affect it in the slightest, it's still the same game.

Also - the comparisons to the slight delay with LBP is superficial at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

If the game is, as you claim "a statement of beauty, of physics, graphics, storyline and disturbing imagery, not racism" then what does it matter if they retexture the game?
    If, as you claim, race is unimportant then a retexturing shouldn't affect it in the slightest, it's still the same game.

Companies shouldn't give in to these racists, if you let them get the better of you they'll keep doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's bloody ridiculous! :mad: wtf.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The other side of this argument claims that the logical consistency of the storyline is largely irrelevant since it still depicts black people as savage inhuman killing machines and forces the player to fight and kill them.

The producers should just point out that the people calling RE5 racist are in fact racist themselves. Seeing as there where no complaints for the REs set in America, with Americans as the "savage inhuman killing machines", in Spain, with the Spanish as "savage inhuman killing machines" and the only complaints are for RE5 which has Africans as the "savage inhuman killing machines" this means that the people making the complaints believe that while its ok to have "savage inhuman killing machines" from America and Spain (ie with people who are white or latino), Africa is a no go (ie because the people depicted are black). This is racism (It works both ways).
    If the textures are changed, I think that everyone should boycott the game as a stand against this kind of racism.I will.

While the gameplay would be unchanged if the textures are changed, it would effect the storyline to have all the characters made white in a game set in Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

it would effect the storyline to have all the characters made white in a game set in Africa.

Surely that would be racist too, having only white people depicted in Africa? people should just get a frigging life I reckon. Unbelievable this sh1te!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I really don't get this at all. It's not as if there hasn't been african zombies in other RE episodes (or even zombie films for that matter)

Another example of politcal correctness gone wrong

The producers should just point out that the people calling RE5 racist are in fact racist themselves. Seeing as there where no complaints for the REs set in America, with Americans as the "savage inhuman killing machines", in Spain, with the Spanish as "savage inhuman killing machines" and the only complaints are for RE5 which has Africans as the "savage inhuman killing machines" this means that the people making the complaints believe that while its ok to have "savage inhuman killing machines" from America and Spain (ie with people who are white or latino), Africa is a no go (ie because the people depicted are black). This is racism (It works both ways).
    If the textures are changed, I think that everyone should boycott the game as a stand against this kind of racism.I will.

The resident evil games with shamblers don't really count. They're hardly the same as the new zombies of RE4 and 5, you know, the ones that havn't had their humanity stripped away by being undead monsters.

Since the RE zombies stopped being the recognisable classic romero zombies things have gotten a bit different. Really, unless you were aware of the mythos of the RE games, RE4 could be boilded down into "White guy kills spanish people", especially seeing as it takes a while for the parasites to actually appear in the game, which is the justification for why it's ok to go killing them all.

I can see why people might think that RE5 could be dicey. Without knowing the mythos it can easilly be boiled down to "White guy kills black people".
    And lets face it, that's EXACTLY what all the trailers have shown. We know the score, we're gamers. But that's not the point.

Also, your logic doesn't really hold up at all. excluding the original games, the whole "if you didn't complain then you're a racist if you complain now" is rubbish. People only complain *if* it affects them, that's natural and normal. Black people complaining because they find the imagery of a white guy mowing down hordes of black people to be something they are not comfortable with is just fine.

By your logic you can't comment on this unless you've piped up at every previous games/racism debate.
    Where were you for punch out man? WHERE WERE YOU?

While the gameplay would be unchanged if the textures are changed, it would effect the storyline to have all the characters made white in a game set in Africa.

South africa would like to have a word.
    But seriously, when we're talking about a game that has zombies (or not-zombies), giant wooden trunks that are interconnected by some kind of dark magic, a main character with pockets that stretch onto infinity for all the gold and jewels he'll find YET is limited in size for guns and ammo and green herbs that can magically heal all injuries, the lack of black people in africa is the least of the games worries when it comes to the suspension of disbelief.

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    I really don't get this at all. It's not as if there hasn't been african zombies in other RE episodes (or even zombie films for that matter)

Another example of politcal correctness gone wrong

Yeah Will Smith blew up and ran over a rake of white zombies in I am legend whats up with that? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The number of complaints for Black Hawk Down must have been off the chart

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Weird considering in Far Cry 2 you can play as a white character and kill black characters plus white characters or play as black character and do the same or play as asian,latin,indian,middle eastern etc and i havent seen anyone complain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Yes but they changed that stupid little song in LBP and it took them ages to replace it and reprint the game. Obviously they chose that song because it gelled with whatever was going on(not being a LBP fan i wouldnt know what goes on).

Im not saying that the lads in Africa being Black gells with whats going on, but if i go to China to fight Zombies id start thinking something was wrong if they are all purple or blue.

Obviously changing the colour of the texture is a small change and probably wouldnt affect the release.

Should this be the way we treat all entertainment? Should Edward Zwick go back and change "Blood Diamond" to remove all the blacks or Spielberg take the Jews out of "Shindlers List" because it offends people? Or Sam Raimi's Film "Darkman", maybe that should be changed to "Whiteman" to save offence. :pac:

Obviously changing the colour of the texture is a small change and probably wouldnt affect the release.

I wouldn't say it's that easy, the characters are quite detailed and changing the colour to white would make it look like your fighting black albino's, i know i would be scared fighting a horde of guys who look like that guy from big brother :eek:

Yes but they changed that stupid little song in LBP and it took them ages to replace it and reprint the game. Obviously they chose that song because it gelled with whatever was going on(not being a LBP fan i wouldnt know what goes on).

it was what, a fortnight delay?
    So you're more worried about the fact your game might get delayed as opposed to actual racism. Gotcha.
    It's ok, it kinda ties into what i said earlier about people only complaining when stuff affects them.
    Im not saying that the lads in Africa being Black gells with whats going on, but if i go to China to fight Zombies id start thinking something was wrong if they are all purple or blue.

if they were actually zombies and not these fastandrabidandoHHGODMYLIFE zombies it'd be cool. Infact i'd expect them to be kindof purple and blue.
    cos y'know. ZOMBIES.

The problem isn't that they're zombies who used to be people of whatever skin colour, the problem is that the new zombies aren't easilly identifiable as 'zombies'. I mean they look like rabid humans most of all.
    When Capcom made the transition from traditional monster zombies to 28 days later style infected the imagery of the series changed, they look more like crazy people than hollywood monsters. And i like that, i think RE4 is scarier than the previous games, but at the same time i realise that it's a cop out to go "they're zombies" when they aren't really.

Should this be the way we treat all entertainment? Should Edward Zwick go back and change "Blood Diamond" to remove all the blacks or Spielberg take the Jews out of "Shindlers List" because it offends people? Or Sam Raimi's Film "Darkman", maybe that should be changed to "Whiteman" to save offence. :pac:

The fact you're comparing Schindlers list with resident evil is probably the most offensive thing in this thread.

Don't forget the term black hole is extremely racist too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20a-exAW6qc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

it was what, a fortnight delay?
    So you're more worried about the fact your game might get delayed as opposed to actual racism. Gotcha.
    It's ok, it kinda ties into what i said earlier about people only complaining when stuff affects them.
    Doesnt affect me, the game doesnt matter a ****e to me, its just assholes that like to change it (or entertainment) by shouting racism.
    if they were actually zombies and not these fastandrabidandoHHGODMYLIFE zombies it'd be cool. Infact i'd expect them to be kindof purple and blue.
    cos y'know. ZOMBIES.
    Fast and Rabid zombies were the scariest IMO, but if i remember the old RE games properly, (which I probably dont) they werent purple, just slow normal looking zombies that were their original colour, making funny noises.
    The problem isn't that they're zombies who used to be people of whatever skin colour, the problem is that the new zombies aren't easilly identifiable as 'zombies'. I mean they look like rabid humans most of all.
    When Capcom made the transition from traditional monster zombies to 28 days later style infected the imagery of the series changed, they look more like crazy people than hollywood monsters. And i like that, i think RE4 is scarier than the previous games, but at the same time i realise that it's a cop out to go "they're zombies" when they aren't really.
    Ok rabid humans. I lifted this image from the RE4 site.
    rabidap5.th.jpgthpix.gif
    White rabid crazy humans, whats wrong with black or chinese ones? Actually now that you say that RE4 was the rabid ones, I wouldnt mind playing it.
    The fact you're comparing Schindlers list with resident evil is probably the most offensive thing in this thread.
    Not really, money was made of Schindlers list, its an entertainment medium. Should money have been made off it? I dunno, another thread maybe. RE5 cannot be compared because they are seperate mediums. I was making a point of offence vs Entertainment mediums, not making comparisons between the Holocaust and RE-5.

ETA: ^^lol

Really, unless you were aware of the mythos of the RE games, RE4 could be boilded down into "White guy kills spanish people", especially seeing as it takes a while for the parasites to actually appear in the game, which is the justification for why it's ok to go killing them all.

I can see why people might think that RE5 could be dicey. Without knowing the mythos it can easilly be boiled down to "White guy kills black people".
    And lets face it, that's EXACTLY what all the trailers have shown. We know the score, we're gamers. But that's not the point.

That is the point. Completely ignoring the context of the game in order to make it seem racist is actually a bad thing. Otherwise you could point to any film, game, book or tv show where a white character bests a black character in any way and call it racist, regardless of context.
    Also, your logic doesn't really hold up at all. excluding the original games, the whole "if you didn't complain then you're a racist if you complain now" is rubbish. People only complain *if* it affects them, that's natural and normal. Black people complaining because they find the imagery of a white guy mowing down hordes of black people to be something they are not comfortable with is just fine.

It is racist if they find the image of the same white guy mowing down hordes of white Americans ok, or if they find the image of a similar white American mowing down hordes of Spanish ok. If its ok to do to one race, its ok to do to all. The people complaining have been long since informed of how the other RE games are set mostly in America, with mostly white zombies, but they don't care because all they see is the black enemies in RE5 being shot by a white protagonist. Thats racism.
    By your logic you can't comment on this unless you've piped up at every previous games/racism debate.
    Where were you for punch out man? WHERE WERE YOU?

I dont know what punch out man is.
    South africa would like to have a word.

What, with its 9.2% white population? Even if the game was set in South Africa (and its not, its set in an area around Eritrea, Ethiopia and Kenya), you would still expect 4/5ths of the people in the game to be black.

WHHHARRRGLEBLARERRGHL - two massive posts to reply to.....
    Ok rabid humans. I lifted this image from the RE4 site.
    rabidap5.th.jpgthpix.gif
    White rabid crazy humans, whats wrong with black or chinese ones? Actually now that you say that RE4 was the rabid ones, I wouldnt mind playing it.

there isn't anything wrong with it per say, i'm making the point that as gamers when someone questions what's going on in RE5 we should just go "IT'S ZOMBIES LOL" and leave it at that.
    It's not obvious, so we should act like people are clinically retarded when they bring this up.
    We all wanted games to be taken more seriously as a medium, well this kind of stuff of people looking in and not understanding why it's ok for us to show a white guy killing hordes of black people for no discernable reason is part of that.

That is the point. Completely ignoring the context of the game in order to make it seem racist is actually a bad thing. Otherwise you could point to any film, game, book or tv show where a white character bests a black character in any way and call it racist, regardless of context.

None of the RE5 trailers have placed what's happening in context. Without capcom trying to do something to explain what's goin on even in the vaguest sense, you can't really blame people for, to borrow a roy walker-ism, saying what they see.

I dont know what punch out man is.

Don't know Punch-out?
    Tuppin' kids.
    What, with its 9.2% white population? Even if the game was set in South Africa (and its not, its set in an area around Eritrea, Ethiopia and Kenya), you would still expect 4/5ths of the people in the game to be black.

Once again, Resident evil has a hell of alot more problems with realism than the ethnic makeup of it's zombies.

• Advertisement

None of the RE5 trailers have placed what's happening in context. Without capcom trying to do something to explain what's goin on even in the vaguest sense, you can't really blame people for, to borrow a roy walker-ism, saying what they see.

Why not? Maybe these people should have looked up the storyline of the series before jumping to conclusions? Would you give any time of day to someone calling Saving Private Ryan racist because it shows Americans killing Germans?

To call the game racist without knowing the context is just mistaken thought, I'll give you that, but to then ignore the context and story behind the games and continue to claim its racist, well thats just ignorant and racist itself.

Why not? Maybe these people should have looked up the storyline of the series before jumping to conclusions? Would you give any time of day to someone calling Saving Private Ryan racist because it shows Americans killing Germans?

I'm pretty sure everyone knows roughly what happened in the second world war, it's not exactly comparable. Games still don't have that same kind of exposure. Zombie shooting games even less so.
    To call the game racist without knowing the context is just mistaken thought, I'll give you that, but to then ignore the context and story behind the games and continue to claim its racist, well thats just ignorant and racist itself.

Unless i've missed something, the timeline goes
    RE5 trailer -> hot spicy racism -> IT'S ZOMBIES LOL -> <time passes> -> now.
    I mean it's been effectly put to bed (though expect it to crop up again come launch by more mainstream news outlets) even if the producer is only caring to comment now.

I can see how people would initially be wary of it, I can see how, dispite the inherant nature of the internet to be retarded about everything someone managed to make the point, but until this actually comes around again it's a bit unfair to accuse people of being ignorant.

This however does not mean that people can be called ignorant if they still choose not to purchase the game because of it's setting. Sometimes, no matter how legitimate the setting some things won't sit well with people.
    And seeing as it's only been about fourty or so years since the start of the civil rights movement in the states i can see why this would be one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Just ignore lordofcheese hes just trolling, atleast i hope for his sake he is trolling. Talk about making feck all sense.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Just ignore lordofcheese hes just trolling, atleast i hope for his sake he is trolling. Talk about making feck all sense.

There are not enough facepalms in all the internet for you.

There are not enough facepalms in all the internet for you.

I think everyone will need a few scoops of this

ALRI_WTF_Pumpd_(30_Servings).jpg

to understand your nonsense.

I'd ask you to point out why it's nonsense, but i realise that's a little too much for you.

If you have something interesting to say, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus H Christ. Lighten up LordofCheese, for the love of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Have any African people agreed with the racism?

They should just have a poll with the general public then GTFO

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ. Lighten up LordofCheese, for the love of god.

Sure thing buddy

*ahem*

HEY ISN'T THIS A LOAD OF RUBBISH!
    WHY ARE THEY DELAYIN' MAH GAME
    NO JOHN, YOU ARE THE RACISTS
    WHAT PC NONSENSE!

heh, that was kinda fun.....

• Advertisement

Yeah lets turn the black people into white lordofcheese! Lets shoot some honkey zombies in the middle of Kenya. They can change the story too. No longer are we dealing with the T virus anymore, oh no. This time its the Michael Jackson virus! All the poor black people have been affected and must be eliminated. If the main dude is white i dont see how the virus can affect him? Super immune crackers? Thats racist.

Advertisement