Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Silly question... Phone/Driving

Options
  • 28-10-2008 11:58pm

Can you drive a phone on the motorway?

No, seriously:

I know you can't be on the phone whilst driving. Thats fine and well. However, a little argument has sparked up between me and a friend.

Is it is illegal (or whatever term you want to use) to be talking on the phone/handling the phone/sending a text message, if your car is stationery (ie: not moving)?

Eg: I pull up at a red traffic light, am i permitted to talk on the phone or continue writing a text message, provided i conclude my action in time for the green light?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm sure that if you're sitting in the drivers seat, with the engine running, you are deemed to be driving and as such are not allowed use a mobile phone.

Much the same way if you even sit in the drivers seat of a car whilst drunk, you can be done for drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No, you can't drive a phone (or a moped) on the motorway. :D And you are 'driving' while stopped at lights.

Not your ornery onager

Ah right. Yeah i thought that was how it worked alright. Just wasn't 100% sure.

Ah well... Thank god for hands free sets eh?

.. And tinted wndows.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm fairly sure if a Gard spots you driving your phone on the motorway you'll be well off into the distance by the time he stops laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure if a Gard spots you driving your phone on the motorway you'll be well off into the distance by the time he stops laughing.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Does your phone have brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Lexus1976 wrote: »

Does your phone have brakes?

Or an NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Here is my weekend car

phone%20car.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

What happens if you are stopped at traffic lights with your engine switched off, are you technically driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

fletch wrote: »
    What happens if you are stopped at traffic lights with your engine switched off, are you technically driving?

I would imagine you technically are still driving as you're not parked up. I guess if you claim you're parked then you would be done for incorrect parking or stopping in a clearway.

Ok so what about this one; say you're stopped at lights and the car suddenly breaks down and won't start. You throw on the hazards, usher the cars behind to try go around are you then able to make a call to the AA???

I know a guard would see sense here but is it technically illegal? Imagine having to get out and sit in the passenger seat to make the call!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't know about here, but I believe in the UK the term used is being "in charge of a vehicle". It's the same term used when doing people for being drunk when getting into their cars outside pubs. I'm not sure about the exact definition, but you don't need to be actually driving, or, I believe even have the engine running, to be considered to be "in charge" of the car.

Advertisement