Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd year work visa

Options
  • 29-10-2008 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

If i havent done any agricultural work is it still possible to get this?
    How much does it cost?
    How do i go about applying/recieving this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

neon_glows wrote: »
    If i havent done any agricultural work is it still possible to get this?
    How much does it cost?
    How do i go about applying/recieving this?

You need to have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa (there is no requirement to do further specified work on the second visa)
    Specified work is usually on a farm
    construction/mining is accepted too .. here is a link
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

so is it possible? yes - work on a farm/mine/construction for 13 weeks (in a regional area)
    How much $195

You go about by first working 3 months, then applying online (usually with dates and employer numbers) .. doesn't take too long

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

crap. was thinkin about stayin another year. Im in IT so that leaves me with fruit picking.

How do you go about getting a job doing fruit picking/farming etc? Im assuming theres some sort of intermediatory agency, as I cant see many people applying directly to a farmer!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    crap. was thinkin about stayin another year. Im in IT so that leaves me with fruit picking.

How do you go about getting a job doing fruit picking/farming etc? Im assuming theres some sort of intermediatory agency, as I cant see many people applying directly to a farmer!

Pretty much directly to farmer
    head out to rural, and look for employers ... rarely any agency involved
    Usually hostels are best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Alternatively, find someone who has done it with a sound farmer, get his details and slip him a few quid in exchange for filling out the papers. Highly illegal etc etc but it most certainly has been done.

Anyway, didn't they bring in the law that the 3 months thing was no longer necessary if you are working in certain industries? You can just apply straight out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Alternatively, find someone who has done it with a sound farmer
    My uncle is a farmer in Mayo, he sound enough and im sure he has had sex with his wife once or twice. Maybe you could ask her?

• Advertisement

Anyway, didn't they bring in the law that the 3 months thing was no longer necessary if you are working in certain industries? You can just apply straight out?
    No, they just broadened the 'industries' range. 3 months is still mandatory

Alternatively, find someone who has done it with a sound farmer, get his details and slip him a few quid in exchange for filling out the papers. Highly illegal etc etc but it most certainly has been done.

ye one of the blokes travelling with me has mentioned this, tho from what he said, it didnt seem cheap.

3 months seems a lot though. I've only like 6 months left until my flight leaves for NZ/Fiji/USA/Home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 infacta

were abouts are you in oz cos i no a farm where they would sign you off after a month and a half if you worked hard and didnt mind wer you slept if you dont want to do that try get a job that will offer you a 457 visa i am going back on a second year visa but have been offered a job with the 457 visa in perth if your in IT you should have no problem getting it

Located in Sydney. And yes, I'm in IT.

Cupla blokes i know are going off somewhere next week AFAIK for 6 weeks. Might go for that with the missus if i can, just as a backup in case i dont get a 457 job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Get a farmers number and slip him a few quid as mentioned above, a few of my mates are staying on for the 2nd year have done it with no trouble (cost em about $400)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

This is not sounding very legal.

Go fruit picking you big girl :p

is it possibly to be on a 417 WHV for the year, then come back to ireland for a while, and then come over to oz a second time?

if you do 3 months regional farm work like fruit picking and get the farmers to sign you off you can apply for your second 417 visa otherwise if you leave durning your 417 with say eg 6 months gone on it and you go back to ireland for a month you can still come back on that same visa but the month back home will be counted on your visa leaving you only 5 months to travel hope this helps

no what i mean is im thinking of staying in Oz, but im also thinking about going home for a while after this year is up. so I'll have no visa, and will need to apply for a 2nd one.

I'm wondering is it that easy to get a 2nd separate working visa.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    no what i mean is im thinking of staying in Oz, but im also thinking about going home for a while after this year is up. so I'll have no visa, and will need to apply for a 2nd one.

I'm wondering is it that easy to get a 2nd separate working visa.

What you mean that easy? you need to work 3 months on a farm .. not exactly easy .. but yes you can apply while in Ireland, and just like the 1st one

and lads please no more talk of 'slip a dude some cash' it's illegal and will shut down the thread.

link http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

ah ok so either way i'll have to do the 3 months farming. pain in the sack.

is the money any good for that, no?

well i got my second year visa but was applying for jobs before i go i got offered a job and a 457 visa after 2 phone interviews so that may be an option for you

pay can be **** enuf and the work can be hard but you will prob end up in a place you cant spend money on the upside you dont have to stay in one farm for the 3 months you can break it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I've spoken to a few people who have done this and apparently it is literally the worst job in the world. One guy was lifting massive watermelons for about 10 hours a day. He left after about 3 days. From what I hear it's not even close to being worth it.

ive done it worked on a melon farm and a normal farm and ha a laugh at both its really what u make it once ur not afraid of a little hard work it makes you appriciate what u have water melons are hard alright but there is no way there is tat big of a demand forthem that ur mate picked them for 10hrs a day we only did it for 3 hrs every week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Fair enough, I'm sure everyone has differing experinces.

3 hours a week? Did you mean 3 hours a day?

that'd be handy if the farmer classed 3 hours a day as a full working day.

under the rules of the visa, you have to work 88 x what the farmer classes as a full working day. 3 hours would be handy. even more so if its a 3 hour week! :p

no i started at half 6 in the morning finished at half 3 and spent the rest of the day having a laugh with backpackers and drinking. i picked melons alright but it was diffrent types like the small melons u buy in shops not the massive water melons alday you'd be looking at around 12 - 14 dollars an hour for the work but if you didnt wana do that you could just pay a farmer to sign you off as you dont need proof of pay slips when you apply for your second year

Advertisement