Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done for no tax.

Options
  • 29-10-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

VRT'ed my car last Wednesday before work and due to the jazz weekend etc I left off taxing it till I had time, needless to say I was pulled by a right awful wanker of a guard Sunday afternoon on my way to work. He asked me smugly for my letter from customs (hadn't put the plates on yet) I gave him the receipt of VRT paid and showed him my licence and insurance cert. he asked me why the car wasn't taxed, I told him I had every intention of taxing it but hadnt yet due to work. He fined me for having no tax, only without it 2 and a half working days btw. I paid the tax yesterday, which was a bank holiday, tax paid for all of October despite car being Irish as of the 22nd.

So what I'm wondering is if I don't pay and go to court will the judge throw it out due to back tax being paid immediately and employment of common sense on his behalf.. I'm not paying the fine regardless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Dave147 wrote: »
    VRT'ed my car last Wednesday before work and due to the jazz weekend etc I left off taxing it till I had time, needless to say I was pulled by a right awful wanker of a guard Sunday afternoon on my way to work. He asked me smugly for my letter from customs (hadn't put the plates on yet) I gave him the receipt of VRT paid and showed him my licence and insurance cert. he asked me why the car wasn't taxed, I told him I had every intention of taxing it but hadnt yet due to work. He fined me for having no tax, only without it 2 and a half working days btw. I paid the tax yesterday, which was a bank holiday, tax paid for all of October despite car being Irish as of the 22nd.

So what I'm wondering is if I don't pay and go to court will the judge throw it out due to back tax being paid immediately and employment of common sense on his behalf.. I'm not paying the fine regardless.

You may get a sympathetic judge. However the Garda was doing his job correctly as you have no right to drive a car untaxed at ANY time. There is no "I just bought it" grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

Most of the time if the tax is backpayed the judge will throw it out. I know cos it happened to me last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

tbh just pay the fine. It mightent work out for you in the court and get slapped with something bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I can't see any judge doing you for tax 2 1/2 days over due

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

Sorry was wrong there thats just with the irish tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

VRT'ed my car last Wednesday before work and due to the jazz weekend etc I left off taxing it till I had time the end of the month so I didnt have to pay for OCT.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Taxing a car online takes less time than it took you to type this post. If you're apologetic in court then the judge might well let you off, seeing as you did tax the car in the end. Go in with an attitude of 'the law doesn't apply to me and the Garda's a w@nker for thinking it does' though, and you'll in all probability get a bigger fine.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

he would still have to back tax it , so I don't see your point

jhegarty wrote: »
    he would still have to back tax it , so I don't see your point

The whole point of leaving till the end of the month is so it can be declared off the road for that month by getting the RF100 signed by the gards.

The whole point of leaving till the end of the month is so it can be declared off the road for that month by getting the RF100 signed by the gards.

Imagine it was the same Garda behind the desk:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was pulled by a right awful wanker of a guard

No need for that kind of language. The Garda was just doing his job. That's a warning BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Poor Dave, only nine days ago he was feeling a lot more bullish about not paying his taxes:
    Wow, big deal he's avoiding a tax we shouldn't have to pay in the first place. I've saved a few grand on VRT also, in fact my motor is still on NI plates..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Anan1 wrote: »
    Poor Dave, only nine days ago he was feeling a lot more bullish about not paying his taxes:

oh very nice.

lol, I retract all my posts in support of the op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

****ing brilliant!:D

So thats the 2 and a half days stretched out to 9 days now at least ( I'd wager it's a good bit more since I doubt the post anan quoted was the day he imported it).

Check out ol' Dave's sig

Do we have a match??

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1233984
    For Sale is 1998 Audi A4 1.9TDi 110 Quattro finished in very rare Kingfisher Blue with 18" RS8 alloy wheels rear lip spoiler and an S4 front bumper with kamei grille and all Quattro badges. Car has 8 disc CD Changer Leather Sports Steering Wheel Centre Arm-Rest Climate Control and A/C Cruise Control All electric windows Electric Sunroof new clutch fitted all belts replaced fully serviced new steering rack. All work to be done has been done by me no expense spared. Car will be fully valeted before being sold non smokers car well looked after tyres 80%. Car is currently on NI reg unfortunately I have no means to pay the VRT so car's price reflects this VRT is 850 euro. Previous owner was an avid Audi enthusiast as you will see from the car but unfortunately lost the service book. Again why the car will be sold for around 5k one of a kind and one of the only tdi's of this model with quattro she really is a dream to drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pwned, tbh. :pac:

Not your ornery onager

Carzone Ad wrote: »
    but unfortunately lost the service book.

In the Irish sea?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

nice find Anan1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Yeah I still feel the same, I'm intelligent enough to know that they're cracking down on it so I cleared it before I was hit with a fine, no problem paying motor tax and tbh I hadnt thought about dodging October, if wanker is language it should be censored no? I have no intention of paying the fine, the guard was so smug and so sure of himself, he asked me for my customs letter hoping I didn't have one, he just wanted to do me for something.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no regret or remorse for dodging VRT, so you're wasting your time throwing that in my face, the quote from me was a trollish post if you didn't figure it out, it wouldve been pretty stupid of me to write that if I didn't intend on promptly paying that ridiculous tax afterwards. Anyway I have no reason to lie to any of you, I had every intention of paying the tax pretty quickly but seeing as I hadnt even got the plates up I thought any reasonable guard would understandvthat it was being looked after promptly.

0 no problem paying motor tax and tbh I hadnt thought about dodging October,.

? You've been dodgeing it since, whats the running count Jhegerty?, the end of August at least.

I had every intention of paying the tax pretty quickly but seeing as I hadnt even got the plates up I thought any reasonable guard would understandvthat it was being looked after promptly.

Why should he be reaosnable if your not? Either way, It's been a minimum of 6 weeks, I think thats plenty reasonable on his

Oh yeah, my old man covered the VRT for me for my 23rd, cars also not for sale anymore, nice find all the same but I'm not that dodgy. I should probably take the ad down, service book was lost by previous owner alright don't know how exactly but car checked out fine. Some of you have far too much time on your hands..

I fail to see what you "found" here?? I had intended to buy a petrol A4 but can't afford one..

Some of you have far too much time on your hands..

Same amount as yourself it seems, you've been on the thread the whole way through.

May 08....read the text in that link....same day VRT me arse:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I thought any reasonable guard would understandvthat it was being looked after promptly.

Based on what exactly?

So thats the 2 and a half days stretched out to 9 days now at least ( I'd wager it's a good bit more since I doubt the post anan quoted was the day he imported it).

Where are you getting 9 days? Wednesday I paid the VRT, pulled on Sunday, 2 and a half working days, unless you can explain how to tax a UK car in Ireland? I also dont see how I'm pwned?

• Advertisement

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Based on what exactly?

The fact it took him 5 months to pay his VRT:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement