Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done for no tax.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Imagine if the OP had his day in court and the Garda pulled out a printout of this thread as evidence...

There are some Boys in Blue who frequent boards, I'd love if one of them happened to be Dave's "wanker" Garda :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

You can't tax a car online if you just brought it through, you have to use a form.
    you better not tell that to the motortax.ie website, it'll get all upset at you for spreading untruths about it.

as soon as yourcar is registered with the VRO you can pay your tax online on the motortax site by using your new Irish reg number and the last 5 digits of your chassis number which is on the car and also on the printout you get from the VRO.

and to the OP, you may forget about any kind of sympathy here, they're all law abiding tax paying yes men (and women) who would never dream of anything except a 100% law abiding life free of the worries associated with trying to get one over on the tax man. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you taxed the car... a judge would throw it out. it was only on the road for 3 days ffs! That's not even enough time for the disc to arrive in the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cork is not that big. Is it possible the Garda has seen you driving the car for an extended period and recognised it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Hahahah:D Somebody print this thread off and send it into RTE for their next series of the Customs program. They could do an investigation and hit the OP with a fine for late payment of VRT.:P

I actually sympathise with the OP for the tax issue. The guard was a bit of a jobsworth but come on; you saved a few quid on VRT by dodging it for however many months so just be a man and pay the fine. All in you're still up a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Threads like this make checking the motors section every day worthwhile, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Dave147 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I dodged VRT mister. I'm not on any moral mission buddy, I didn't bring up dodging VRT in this thread, I asked nothing about VRT, I dont care if you dont agree with me really, i admit driving for a period on foreign plates, big fking deal, I got away with it ....
    Way i see it your original post should have looked something like this:
    Bloody hell I had a lucky one today. I've been chancing my arm now for a while not paying tax or VRT. Luckily I'd just paid up my VRT when a guard pulled me. Thankfully I only have the fine for not paying tax and my car doesn't look like a cube!
    Plus Daddy very kindly has bailed me out again and is giving me half the tax!! How spoilt am I???

When I grow up I want to be a man, and take responsibility for my actions.

he's a witch, burn him!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Zulu wrote: »
    Way i see it your original post should have looked something like this:

hahaha! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

VRT'ed my car last Wednesday before work and due to the jazz weekend etc I left off taxing it till I had time, needless to say I was pulled by a right awful wanker of a guard Sunday afternoon on my way to work. He asked me smugly for my letter from customs (hadn't put the plates on yet) I gave him the receipt of VRT paid and showed him my licence and insurance cert. he asked me why the car wasn't taxed, I told him I had every intention of taxing it but hadnt yet due to work. He fined me for having no tax, only without it 2 and a half working days btw. I paid the tax yesterday, which was a bank holiday, tax paid for all of October despite car being Irish as of the 22nd.

So what I'm wondering is if I don't pay and go to court will the judge throw it out due to back tax being paid immediately and employment of common sense on his behalf.. I'm not paying the fine regardless.

Not clear which District Court Area you are in. If you are in North County Cork, Judge Patwell is your judge - pay the fine and don't appear in front of him. Otherwise, you could try going in to court and putting your case to the judge, once you have paid the back-tax etc. Also, if you couldn't tax the car due to work, that happens, you may get treated sympathetically once you make that point.

The question you have to ask yourself is, do you need the hassle of a court appearance? You will have to take a half day off work, and you will have to come back in if the case is not dealt with on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

vibe666 wrote: »
    you better not tell that to the motortax.ie website, it'll get all upset at you for spreading untruths about it.

as soon as yourcar is registered with the VRO you can pay your tax online on the motortax site by using your new Irish reg number and the last 5 digits of your chassis number which is on the car and also on the printout you get from the VRO.

I wasn't aware of this, i was told you needed the initial vehicle registration cert to tax it for the first time. That would have been easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I wasn't aware of this, i was told you needed the initial vehicle registration cert to tax it for the first time. That would have been easier.

I think you are refering to the RF100 form which is issued at time of registration (whether 1st registration anywhere, or after import to Ireland). Once this is issued you can tax the vehicle on-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Still, presumably you cant declare the car off the road online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Oshare Bones

I would consider myself lucky the only thing I was being fined for was road tax, just pay the fine it's only €80 isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Oshare Bones

Indeed you can't. The rf100 form has to be stamped and signed in a garda station, usually anything under 3 months won't raise any eyebrows. No questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

Indeed you can't. The rf100 form has to be stamped and signed in a garda station, usually anything under 3 months won't raise any eyebrows. No questions asked.

How ridicuolous is the RF100 form anyway. Whats the point of it. Like the guard knows you personally and that, indeed your car has been sitting in your driveway for months. It's the loophole of all loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also, if you couldn't tax the car due to work, that happens, you may get treated sympathetically once you make that point.

If he had the time to post on boards he had the time to open a new tab and go to motortax.ie.

How ridicuolous is the RF100 form anyway. Whats the point of it. Like the guard knows you personally and that, indeed your car has been sitting in your driveway for months. It's the loophole of all loopholes.

The rf100 is not the gard saying the car was off the road, its him officially witnessing YOU saying the car was off the road. If you are then coaught out in a lie they have written proof you lied

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

and to the OP, you may forget about any kind of sympathy here, they're all law abiding tax paying yes men (and women) who would never dream of anything except a 100% law abiding life free of the worries associated with trying to get one over on the tax man. ;)

Haha I know, you'd swear I raped someone with the reactions, the vrt issue here is irrelevant my own business etc. Still I'm glad I effortlessly wound up alot of muppets on here anyway. Get a life please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Indeed, and more's the pity. Tax here is unrefundable for non-use, so even if you could...there'd be no point........you'd get no tax back!!

Case in point: our 2.0d Mazda was taxed until Aug this year. It's been off the road since last..........Jan ? with a fubar'd engine. I was told the only way I could get a tax refund was by either scrapping it or exporting it.

Bit of a financial 'diode' the 'ol Revenue system...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Classic thread.

Any the scary part is, they let people like this behind the wheel.....

Well done on the detective work...

Time for a new identity here Dave147

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

he was only doing his job.. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

cancan wrote: »
    Any the scary part is, they let people like this behind the wheel.....
    I totally agree because the only way to tell for sure if someone is competent to drive is to find out whether or not they'd chance their arm at avoiding being ripped off by the tax man for a little while. :rolleyes:

much safer to just let unaccompanied tax paying learners on the road with no experience for the last xx number of years. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

I totally agree because the only way to tell for sure if someone is competent to drive is to find out whether or not they'd chance their arm at avoiding being ripped off by the tax man for a little while. :rolleyes:

much safer to just let unaccompanied tax paying learners on the road with no experience for the last xx number of years. :confused:

There is the whole mental competency issue, which this thread has called into question.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Lads, give the guy a brea... Oh wait he's from cork, continue :p

Nah Im kidding, your not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

cancan wrote: »
    There is the whole mental competency issue, which this thread has called into question.

Yeah definitely I'll spend some of the money I've saved going back to school to address my mental competence, some peoples bitterness is bewildering, read back on the thread I didn't even bring up dodging vrt, someone else did, not that it bothered me in the slightest. As for a new identity, I'm happy out with this one thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

so when did u buy it dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

Anan1 wrote: »
    Taxing a car online takes less time than it took you to type this post. If you're apologetic in court then the judge might well let you off, seeing as you did tax the car in the end. Go in with an attitude of 'the law doesn't apply to me and the Garda's a w@nker for thinking it does' though, and you'll in all probability get a bigger fine.

Anan1,
    BTW you can't tax a car online if taxing it for the first time, this has to be done in the tax office. And I have to agree with the OP, the guard was a bit of a gob****e to do what he did in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

seamy_orr wrote: »
    Anan1,
    BTW you can't tax a car online if taxing it for the first time, this has to be done in the tax office.

Sorry, Anan is right.

I have taxed (for first time) both a new Galaxy and an imported car, from the couch, just putting in reg and the last 6 digits of the VIN. You do not need to go to tax office. See it here: https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=firstlicensinginfo

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

My apologies, this service wasn't available to me the last time I VRT'd and I presumed that it was still not available

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not having tax is strongly linked worldwide to not being insured and other criminal offences. The same type of person that 'avoids being ripped off by the taxman' often feels the same about 'being ripped off' by insurance companies or being ripped off by having to pay for their petrol etc.

It is one of the reasons ANPR has been so succesful and widely used in the uk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement