Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done for no tax.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

galwaytt wrote: »
    Sorry, Anan is right.

I have taxed (for first time) both a new Galaxy and an imported car, from the couch, just putting in reg and the last 6 digits of the VIN. You do not need to go to tax office. See it here: https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=firstlicensinginfo

Still, anyone thats going to be facing a large tax bill will pretty much have to go into the office and declare it off the road for whatever amount of days/weeks if its only the start of the month. In my case, it would have equated to a saving of over €22 for each week it was off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

copacetic wrote: »
    not having tax is strongly linked worldwide to not being insured and other criminal offences. The same type of person that 'avoids being ripped off by the taxman' often feels the same about 'being ripped off' by insurance companies or being ripped off by having to pay for their petrol etc.

It is one of the reasons ANPR has been so succesful and widely used in the uk.

Further to that:
    If you are not registered in the state, not taxed, not a resident where the car is registered, how are you insured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Dave147 wrote: »
    Where are you getting 9 days? Wednesday I paid the VRT, pulled on Sunday, 2 and a half working days, unless you can explain how to tax a UK car in Ireland? I also dont see how I'm pwned?

Cars still have to be up to date on tax on non "working" days.
    And the car tax online website is open 24/7... :rolleyes:

Dave, I have a gorgeous shovel out the back, if you want to dig yourself a little further... or you could use it to vault yourself up onto an even higher horse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Why did you post this topic for sympathy...... funny your not getting much.

Why?

Because you have previously told THE WORLD you weren't going to pay your VRT
    I've saved a few grand on VRT also, in fact my motor is still on NI plates..
    Now when you get pulled and your car has NO TAX because you couldn't be bothered and have a rubbish excuse
    due to the jazz weekend etc I left off taxing it till I had time
    . I have taxed my car online in much less time than it takes to type this message(note, I use more than one finger) you want people to what....help/agree with you not paying your fine when you didn't have tax on your car and got done bang to rights.

I don't know you but imagine i could spot you in a crowd you would be the one with a neck like a jockeys ........ .
    you'd swear I raped someone with the reactions, the vrt issue here is irrelevant my own business et
    The VRT issue is linked to you not having TAX so it is our business. Its our business as you have posted it on a public forum.

When you didn't pay your VRT you obviously couldn't get car tax so when you delayed and when told by daddy to, you paid your VRT and after that you delayed getting your car tax. They are linked as from one you get the other.
    I've saved a few grand on VRT also, in fact my motor is still on NI plates..

What else have you not paid because you were on NI plates for the last god knows how many months. Speeding fines, Tolls, parking tickets INSURANCE.

By the way if you didn't gather it you ain't getting any sympathy from me. I imagine from the set of brass things you got your going to brass this one out to get your time in court. I hope you got a big pair to go with the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I'm paying for the roads your driving on OP, nobody gets a free ride in this life.

Well if daddy and his wallet is about things will be a little easier granted.

Time to take responsability for the actions you make, and i find it laughable at all the people going up north and across to the UK to buy cars / brag about how much they've saved and dont have enough to pay VRT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Why did you post this topic for sympathy...... funny your not getting much.

Why?

Because you have previously told THE WORLD you weren't going to pay your VRT Now when you get pulled and your car has NO TAX because you couldn't be bothered and have a rubbish excuse. I have taxed my car online in much less time than it takes to type this message(note, I use more than one finger) you want people to what....help/agree with you not paying your fine when you didn't have tax on your car and got done bang to rights.

I don't know you but imagine i could spot you in a crowd you would be the one with a neck like a jockeys ........ .

The VRT issue is linked to you not having TAX so it is our business. Its our business as you have posted it on a public forum.

When you didn't pay your VRT you obviously couldn't get car tax so when you delayed and when told by daddy to, you paid your VRT and after that you delayed getting your car tax. They are linked as from one you get the other.

What else have you not paid because you were on NI plates for the last god knows how many months. Speeding fines, Tolls, parking tickets INSURANCE.

By the way if you didn't gather it you ain't getting any sympathy from me. I imagine from the set of brass things you got your going to brass this one out to get your time in court. I hope you got a big pair to go with the neck.

I wasn't looking for sympathy, if you read the OP I was asking would the case be thrown out due to the back tax being paid. I never once tried to hide the fact that I had dodged VRT, it wasn't relevant to what I was asking. Then people went through my previous posts (good work detectives) and found recent posts about me not paying VRT on time, red herring to the thread, pm me about it and tell me what an asshole I am I don't really care as most of you should have figured out.

I was merely venting at the fact the guard was so smug about doing me, and I DID have the intention of taxing the car before the end of the month, no intention of declaring the car off the road (despite the fact it was off the road since June). And as for the high horse rubbish, if you're going to have a go at me over my own personal choice whereby I hold the risk, not you, then yeah I'm going to tell you to fcuk off basically.

For the record, my insurance covers me on any reg car, and I don't owe any revenue to the state as my previous Irish cars were taxed, 5 years worth. If anybody wants to lend me money for new shocks aswell it would be great as daddy's cut me off, unfortunately the thousands I've spent hasn't reflected itself on our roads.

bryanmurr wrote: »
    so when did u buy it dave?

About 9 months ago, I had a good run :) But I've learned my lesson and that's the main thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Arent audi's guzzlers anyway?

1.9TDi, 40mpg I get on our roads. Can't complain.

And as for the high horse rubbish, if you're going to have a go at me over my own personal choice whereby I hold the risk, not you, then yeah I'm going to tell you to fcuk off basically.

I have taken your Personal insult like a man. I must add though that if you post on a public forum about you illegal behaviour and look for people's opinions then you have to accept them like they are-opinions.

Oh by the way the hole others have spoken of has got bigger but i will leave it to others to help you dig it even bigger.

Back to the start of my reply.

Would you be of the same opinion if I drove a car with no insurance and crashed it into your car and did serious damage, would you walk away saying "sure isn't it his own personal choice not to have insurance, he bears the risk".

This is called Karma and you would be well advised to take it as a small penalty and not through sheer stubbourness make it into a large penalty.

You say your OP was about the Garda's attitude to you, how do you know that he hasn't been waiting ages to do you ?. What was yout attitude at the time ? there is always two sides to every story. Your accent probably gave you away as not being from the north so he knew you had imported so he was probably trying to do you on something, and he got lucky hence the smugness.

• Advertisement

I have taken your Personal insult like a man. I must add though that if you post on a public forum about you illegal behaviour and look for people's opinions then you have to accept them like they are-opinions.

Oh by the way the hole others have spoken of has got bigger but i will leave it to others to help you dig it even bigger.

Back to the start of my reply.

Would you be of the same opinion if I drove a car with no insurance and crashed it into your car and did serious damage, would you walk away saying "sure isn't it his own personal choice not to have insurance, he bears the risk".

This is called Karma and you would be well advised to take it as a small penalty and not through sheer stubbourness make it into a large penalty.

You say your OP was about the Garda's attitude to you, how do you know that he hasn't been waiting ages to do you ?. What was yout attitude at the time ? there is always two sides to every story. Your accent probably gave you away as not being from the north so he knew you had imported so he was probably trying to do you on something, and he got lucky hence the smugness.

I gave you no personal abuse. Could you make a more useless comparison? If you drove a car with no insurance and crashed into me it makes it my business, it also affects me DIRECTLY. Seeing as I've no idea where VRT revenue goes I don't feel bad about not paying it. I hadn't even been in the country for the last 3 months, I doubt he's waiting to do me, I'd never encountered him before. God forbid a member of your family ever drove a car on a foreign reg for a period, judging from the replies here you'd all disown them. And as I said before, I don't regret it, god what an absolutely awful immature person I must be..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

And as I said before, I don't regret it, god what an absolutely awful immature person I must be..

Your words....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

IBL

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

For the record, my insurance covers me on any reg car, and I don't owe any revenue to the state as my previous Irish cars were taxed, 5 years worth. If anybody wants to lend me money for new shocks aswell it would be great as daddy's cut me off, unfortunately the thousands I've spent hasn't reflected itself on our roads.

My, that's a mighty fine insurance policy for a 23 year old with no money to vrt his car.

Methinks, given your attitude to date, someone else may be in charge of that one.

You're 23 - time to grow up, and if it's any advice, probably better to do this not on a public forum for the world to see.

You messed up, not the guard.
    You broke the law. Not the guard.
    You bought a car you couldn't afford - not the guard.
    You had to be bailed out of your mess by your father - not the guard.

The sooner you realise this the better.

cancan wrote: »
    My, that's a mighty fine insurance policy for a 23 year old with no money to vrt his car.

Methinks, given your attitude to date, someone else may be in charge of that one.

You're 23 - time to grow up, and if it's any advice, probably better to do this not on a public forum for the world to see.

I pay my own insurance. Just giving attitude back tbh.

It's a good lesson to learn for the future.

Other forum members don't like being lied to in an effort to gain sympathy, hence the general outcry.

There are bigger problems in the world....

Other forum members don't like being lied to in an effort to gain sympathy, hence the general outcry.

There are bigger problems in the world....

What is? Have you read the whole thread? I haven't lied once. The VRT wasn't relevant to the thread, I was hardly trying to hide it, sure it was only last week I made that comment (wouldn't have made the comment if I wasn't paying the VRT, duh) I really fail to see all this "hole digging" business etc. I don't recall denying anything or lying about anything, the outcry is over me not paying the VRT, people here think I'm trying to throw it in their face or something, ridiculous. Once again, not looking for sympathy, please read my posts properly.

Tell you what - we'll ignore the question of lying for a moment and I'll answer your first question:
    So what I'm wondering is if I don't pay and go to court will the judge throw it out due to back tax being paid immediately and employment of common sense on his behalf.. I'm not paying the fine regardless.

So let's say you don't pay the fine, like you say you are not going to do.
    It goes b4 the court.

The judge asks how long said car was in the country, and how long after that was the VRT paid, as it is related to the tax issue.

What would be the correct answer you would use, without lying, which is a much bigger offence in that arena?

And consider that said judge just happens to read boards in his spare time, as he is into cars with his judge money.

You see where this is going?

So to answer your question, pay the fine, and put this thread to rest, and hope that the guard, judge, or someone from the revenue isn't one of the 3058 (so far) people who have viewed this thread, and the pictures of said car, and who have a fair amount of evidence to come knocking on your door.

So breaking the law is one thing. Posting about it on line is another.
    I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Another reason people are pissed with you is:
    you are considering dragging this whole incident (of which you are guilty) in front of the courts.

If you do this you'll:
    Cost us all (honest people who bother to pay tax) more money
    Money that could have been spent in other, better ways
    Take up court time
    Time that could have been spent prosecuting other criminals

...and why? Because, in your arrogance, you believe that the Guard (who was doing his job, and doing it correctly) was "sumg".

Grow the fuck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The guard may have been a smug wanker, or not. It doesn't really matter.

However, everyone has a right to defend themselves against charges they feel are unjust. I implore you to go to court and do this, and let us know how it works out.

Please.

• Advertisement

Why would you encourage a guilty person to waste tax payers money in a recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Zulu wrote: »
    Why would you encourage a guilty person to waste tax payers money in a recession?

(a) Everyone has a right to defend themselves.
    (b) People found guilty generally pay court costs and often higher fines.
    (c) Where is your sense of fun?

Lumen wrote: »
    (a) Everyone has a right to defend themselves.
    (b) People found guilty generally pay court costs and often higher fines.
    (c) Where is your sense of fun?
    a) but not everyone should be encouraged to do so
    b) true, but it's still a waste of time
    c) it's 9:20, I'm in work, and I haven't had breakfast :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I corrected your post for you.

Other forum members like a good old witch-hunt and will pounce on anyone not adhering to the letter of the law at any opportunity in an attempt to make them look stupid.

There are bigger problems in the world....but nothing that can't be put on hold to show some randomer on t'internet the errors of their ways from up here in our ivory tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

So breaking the law is one thing. Posting about it on line is another.
    He could at least post his exploits anonymously. All Dave's personal details are easily available online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

crocro wrote: »
    He could at least post his exploits anonymously. All Dave's personal details are easily available online.

Pointed that out to him in of his previous rants about VRT. His bebo page gives all the info anyone from revenue would ever need ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    I corrected your post for you.

That had me laughing big time :D

"Only doing his job" dont make me laugh, he saw a young fella driving a nice car, he was so disappointed he couldn't take the car off me he had to do me for something else. All these muppets telling me I shouldn't have been driving because the car wasnt taxed need to get realistic, I have a conscience but I'm not going to take the bus because my cars without tax a couple of days. And as for wasting the courts time and your money, have you ever been to court? I'll be dealt with in 2 mins and the vrt of my car will be irrelevant yet again.

That bebo link hasn't worked in ages btw. But feel free to find my personal details and send them to the guards, I'm sure they're too busy finding the real criminals and solving cases.. Err oh wait..

"Only doing his job" dont make me laugh, he saw a young fella driving a nice car, he was so disappointed he couldn't take the car off me he had to do me for something else.
    The fact is, he saw a foreign registered car. He stopped it to check why it wasn't registered in Ireland, as per the law. He discovered that you were dodging tax.
    All these muppets telling me I shouldn't have been driving because the car wasnt taxed need to get realistic, I have a conscience but I'm not going to take the bus because my cars without tax a couple of days.
    Your car was out of tax the duration you haven't taxed it. That includes the period where you dodged VRT. Not nine days.
    And as for wasting the courts time and your money, have you ever been to court? I'll be dealt with in 2 mins
    :rolleyes: Hopefully you will be: "Guilty!". The unfortunate thing is, you are a waste of time.

...I noticed you took the pic of your car down, how come?

Your car was out of tax the duration you haven't taxed it. That includes the period where you dodged VRT. Not nine days.

Well said that man. Your car wasn't Road taxed the entire time you had the car in the country which by your own words is 9 months. Which is slightly longer than 2 days.

Plus we only have your word that you were going to tax it Tuesday and as you have shown us paying tax isn't a high priority of yours.

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    The fact is, he saw a foreign registered car. He stopped it to check why it wasn't registered in Ireland, as per the law. He discovered that you were dodging tax.
    :rolleyes: Hopefully you will be: "Guilty!". The unfortunate thing is, you are a waste of time.

...I noticed you took the pic of your car down, how come?

Well seeing as you can't tax a foreign reg vehicle here I'll have to disagree. I didn't take anything down, my sig doesn't come up when I'm browsing on my mobile. Nice effort at being clever all the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement