Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done for no tax.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

If you, like other responsible members of our society, paid your VRT on time, you owe a further 9months? of road tax.

However, you didn't. You choose to dodge tax and VRT.
    And you got caught.
    And your daddy helped bail you out.

Clap, clap, clap. You must be proud of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,931 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dave147 wrote: »
    What is? Have you read the whole thread? I haven't lied once. The VRT wasn't relevant to the thread, I was hardly trying to hide it, sure it was only last week I made that comment (wouldn't have made the comment if I wasn't paying the VRT, duh) I really fail to see all this "hole digging" business etc. I don't recall denying anything or lying about anything, the outcry is over me not paying the VRT, people here think I'm trying to throw it in their face or something, ridiculous. Once again, not looking for sympathy, please read my posts properly.

you stated you had no intention of dodging the tax, WHICH IS A LIE.

By not paying VRT you couldn't tax the car, the two payments are directly related and by deliberately not paying the VRT you were also deliberately avoiding paying tax on the car. If you had made this clear from the start there would have been less of an issue. Just pay the fine and move on, it could have been a lot worse and you don't deserve any better.

Personally i don't care that you avoided either, VRT is a scam and tax is a rip off, fair play for getting away with i suppose, but now you have been caught be thankfull it appears you only avoided tax for 2 days and not a year or more, as you probably would have been in a decent bit more trouble and potentially a lot worse off financially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

That had me laughing big time :D

"Only doing his job" dont make me laugh, he saw a young fella driving a nice car, he was so disappointed he couldn't take the car off me he had to do me for something else. All these muppets telling me I shouldn't have been driving because the car wasnt taxed need to get realistic, I have a conscience but I'm not going to take the bus because my cars without tax a couple of days. And as for wasting the courts time and your money, have you ever been to court? I'll be dealt with in 2 mins and the vrt of my car will be irrelevant yet again.

That bebo link hasn't worked in ages btw. But feel free to find my personal details and send them to the guards, I'm sure they're too busy finding the real criminals and solving cases.. Err oh wait..

Are you Bertie Aherne? Your truth efficiency is remarkably similar to what we heard from his tribunal :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

At this point, I hope the revenue are reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

cancan wrote: »

Why bother? Just shake your head as to say "No". ;)

I was driving from Bruff to Limerick City today and a customs guy hopped out from behind his mondeo to pull me over. I slowed down(to nearly a stop) and just shook my head as to say "no i dont have THAT diesel in my car". He just smiled and waved me by. :cool:

Could work in the revenue office or maybe with the Gardai. You never know!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Zulu wrote: »
    If you, like other responsible members of our society, paid your VRT on time, you owe a further 9months? of road tax.

However, you didn't. You choose to dodge tax and VRT.
    And you got caught.
    And your daddy helped bail you out.

Clap, clap, clap. You must be proud of yourself.

Well no I wasnt bailed out really, I was driving a VW Polo until my Audi was cleared, dont see how I was dodging anything while I wasnt even driving the car, previous to the summer then yes I was dodging both taxes, I'm sure I'll get over it and be able to live my life knowing I may have cost a politician his own chauffeur. The reason I'm not paying the fine isn't out of arrogance, its because I back taxed the car to cover that period. If the judge doesn't let me off and fines me 100e rather than 60 I'm sure I'll get over that too, after all I'm an easy going guy ;) its great to see so many law abiding yes men on this thread though, prowling around looking for a vulnerable eejit to pounce on and tell him how his actions are affecting the whole nation, *especially* in this recession.

@vibe666 you hit the nail on the head, fair play.

/awaits more whining..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

change your facebook privacy settings

cancan wrote: »

Why? Are they going to pull me over with my C reg and tax disc and insurance disc and tell me they were reading boards.ie and... Oh wait my car doesn't have a foreign reg, you're getting very close to legal threats by the way, careful now.

ATTN MODERATORS - He said the world "Legal".

Stone him!!!!

JEHOVA JEHOVA JEHOVA JEHOVA JEHOVA

ATTN MODERATORS - He said the world "Legal".

Stone him!!!!

JEHOVA JEHOVA JEHOVA JEHOVA JEHOVA

The 'world' legal? Bad spelling is even more frowned upon. I'm not making any threats nor do I intend to, however some of you may want to report me. Feel free to but dont be threatening me here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

ninty9er wrote: »
    You may get a sympathetic judge. However the Garda was doing his job correctly as you have no right to drive a car untaxed at ANY time. There is no "I just bought it" grace.

So, your saying that if i buy a car, it happens to have no tax or tax is out, I drive it home and get stopped by Garda that he'll fine me on the spot for having "no tax"

That's BS, I've had the mis fortune of having bought a car, no tax but insured. Took 4 weeks for Shannon to process the paperwork and in this time i had been stopped 4 times in Naas and Tallaght by the Garda. Once he/she say the date of the insurance disk, I was allowed to continue "un fined"

There may not be a " I just bought it" grace, but our system for car and vehicle paperwork processing is just crap in Ireland.

So to the OP, I think your right, feckem and there fine. The Garda was wrong.
    thats my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

its great to see so many law abiding yes men on this thread though, prowling around looking for a vulnerable eejit to pounce on and tell him how his actions are affecting the whole nation, *especially* in this recession.

"Vulnerable eejit"? Give me a break. You were deliberately avoiding paying tax for 9 months and then (if your story about when you planned to get motor tax on it is to believed) you were unlucky enough to be caught during the last 3 days of your 9 month tax dodge. Hardly a vulnerable eejit. You knew exactly what you were doing and even if you pay the fine, you'll probably come out of it better off than if you had played by the rules. Well done.

Did you ever think that maybe people who do actually pay their VRT and tax see you as no different to someone who scams the dole and that's why there are so many people 'whining'?

If you can't afford to import and correctly tax a car, then you just don't import it.

The 'world' legal? Bad spelling is even more frowned upon. I'm not making any threats nor do I intend to, however some of you may want to report me. Feel free to but dont be threatening me here.

:confused:

RobbieMc wrote: »
    So, your saying that if i buy a car, it happens to have no tax or tax is out, I drive it home and get stopped by Garda that he'll fine me on the spot for having "no tax"

That's BS, I've had the mis fortune of having bought a car, no tax but insured. Took 4 weeks for Shannon to process the paperwork and in this time i had been stopped 4 times in Naas and Tallaght by the Garda. Once he/she say the date of the insurance disk, I was allowed to continue "un fined"

There may not be a " I just bought it" grace, but our system for car and vehicle paperwork processing is just crap in Ireland.

So to the OP, I think your right, feckem and there fine. The Garda was wrong.
    thats my opinion.

The point he was making about the "I just bought it" grace is that there is nothing in law and no obligation on the Garda to let you slide. Plenty of Gardai will let it slide obviously because despite what some people would have you believe, they're not all vindictive gits out to get you.

Yeah vehicle processing is crap in Ireland but it's a different issue. Your situation and the OP's are completely different. You are trying to pay your tax but can't. The OP deliberately dodged tax for 9 months and is now wondering if he has a chance of getting off the hook when he was finally caught.

I'd have sympathy with your situation but none for the OP's.

javaboy wrote: »
    "Vulnerable eejit"? Give me a break. You were deliberately avoiding paying tax for 9 months and then (if your story about when you planned to get motor tax on it is to believed) you were unlucky enough to be caught during the last 3 days of your 9 month tax dodge. Hardly a vulnerable eejit. You knew exactly what you were doing and even if you pay the fine, you'll probably come out of it better off than if you had played by the rules. Well done.

Did you ever think that maybe people who do actually pay their VRT and tax see you as no different to someone who scams the dole and that's why there are so many people 'whining'?
    If you can't afford to import and correctly tax a car, then you just don't import it.

Yeah I take your point and I agree with most of it, however the guard didn't know the car was here for 9 months, I'm not known to the guards and neither is the car. My issue is that he actually did me for no tax in such a short period of time. He didn't even ask was it taxed either, he was really desperate to do me for something.. All these self righteous fools saying he was doing his job correctly need to wake up, if they're going to do their job correctly they should do it for everyone, which they dont.

Yeah I take your point and I agree with most of it, however the guard didn't know the car was here for 9 months, I'm not known to the guards and neither is the car. My issue is that he actually did me for no tax in such a short period of time. He didn't even ask was it taxed either, he was really desperate to do me for something.. All these self righteous fools saying he was doing his job correctly need to wake up, if they're going to do their job correctly they should do it for everyone, which they dont.

Sorry but complaining about the Garda doing you for just 3 days tax dodging would carry a lot more weight if you hadn't already been dodging tax for so long.

And they do enforce tax checks for everyone btw. I've seen loads of tax checkpoints lately where every vehicle was checked regardless of what car it was or what the driver looked like.

I would guess that a large proportion of high spec English reg cars driven by young men on Irish roads are dodging tax and VRT. So if Gardai have limited manpower and can't always enforce the law for everyone, doesn't it make more sense to go after the more likely targets?

Sorry but complaining about the Garda doing you for just 3 days tax dodging would carry a lot more weight if you hadn't already been dodging tax for so long.

And they do enforce tax checks for everyone btw. I've seen loads of tax checkpoints lately where every vehicle was checked regardless of what car it was or what the driver looked like.

I would guess that a large proportion of high spec English reg cars driven by young men on Irish roads are dodging tax and VRT. So if Gardai have limited manpower and can't always enforce the law for everyone, doesn't it make more sense to go after the more likely targets?

Yeah you have a point again, I suppose if the guards manner and attitude was more pleasant I wouldn't have been so pissed. Javaboy you managed to get your point across without sounding like an asshole. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Dave147

Adverts | Friends

Am I missing something???:confused: Has no one made any reference to his location ROFL
    I have nothing else to contribute only that he was unfortunate!

Javaboy you managed to get your point across without sounding like an asshole.

Inevitably with electronic communication, something will always be lost in translation. :pac:

Inevitably with electronic communication, something will always be lost in translation. :pac:

Indeed, some people take things too seriously on these here boards, if you'll excuse me there's a vulnerable old lady outside who's handbag I must steal, adiós ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Indeed, some people take things too seriously on these here boards, if you'll excuse me there's a vulnerable old lady outside who's handbag I must steal, adiós ;)

be careful some jobsworth of a guard doesn't stop you for it.

copacetic wrote: »
    be careful some jobsworth of a guard doesn't stop you for it.

I'll be alright, I'd get a suspended sentence and do it again. Admin you can lock this if you want the fun is gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think you might have missed the monty python reference there dave, I think he's on your side. ;)

i really don't get the holier than thou attitude here and I don't think I ever will. politicians lie and cheat and go back on their word about all sorts of things (particuarly related to revenue generating taxes) and we punish them by voting them back into office so they can do it to us again, but when an individual uses less than 100% legit methods to try and hold on to a few of those extra euro rather than getting fleeced by the crooked government there's a full-on witchhunt and they're the worst person in the world for trying to save a few euro.

I'm starting to think that boards.ie is solely populated by TD's.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i really don't get the holier than thou attitude here and I don't think I ever will. politicians lie and cheat and go back on their word about all sorts of things (particuarly related to revenue generating taxes) and we punish them by voting them back into office so they can do it to us again, but when an individual uses less than 100% legit methods to try and hold on to a few of those extra euro rather than getting fleeced by the crooked government there's a full-on witchhunt and they're the worst person in the world for trying to save a few euro.

I'm starting to think that boards.ie is solely populated by TD's.

Did you ever think that maybe some of the "holier than thou" posters don't exactly love our current crop of politicians but since it has almost nothing to do with the thread they didn't mention it? Should I have laid out my political beliefs and opinions on Ray Burke, Charlie Haughey, Ansbacher etc. before criticising the OP? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

I object to "illegal" and "unfair" taxes on booze. So, from now on I won't buy my round when I'm out for a few pints ....... my mates can pay my share. Is this how car tax dodgers live their lives ?:cool:

Someone start a thread in the thunderdome about me there because I'm bored of this one. Lock please :D

Towger yeah thats a good idea, seeing as I won't dodge vrt anymore I won't buy rounds of cars for my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

ninty9er wrote: »
    You may get a sympathetic judge. However the Garda was doing his job correctly as you have no right to drive a car untaxed at ANY time. There is no "I just bought it" grace.

i'm sorry but surely when you buy a car and have the paper work from the garage, they cant do you as one is waiting on the car cert to come in post etc to tax it.....i think if a garda does me for this they are just being a pure boll@x.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Dave147: You manged to avoid paying VRT for a few months... well done, If I could get away without paying it i probably would do the same. You will probably be let off the TAX issue in court if you had only VRT'd the Car a couple of days ago.

Rest of you guys: Why do you defend the VRT so much? This "It's a TAX that we HAVE to pay" thinking is as much of a problem as the actual TAX itself. 36% TAX on the Open market selling price of a car is a bit crazy. Irish people take to much crap from the government, and apart from the students and OAP's don't complain nearly enough.

Too Lazy?
    Too Weak?
    Couldn't be bothered?

what ever the case it has being costing us for a long time now and will cost us more in the future.
    If we all just stuck together and said "NO" they would have to get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Surely if it went to court

Judge: When did you VRT it?
    Dave: 3 days before I was stopped
    Judge:When did you buy it?

Option Here
    Dave:9 Months ago
    Judge:Guilty

or
    Dave:Lies
    Judge:Wheres the proof
    Dave: AHEM....
    Judge:
    Guilty and of perjury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

This thread has outlived any questionable useful life it ever had....can someone lock it please!:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement