Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE woes...HALP

Options
  • 29-10-2008 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Right, I've gone about redesigning a new site for my school. I'm still pretty noob at web designing, but this is really pissing me off.

1. In FF/Chrome/Opera , the dropdown menu works, in IE it doesn't.
    2. In FF/Chrome/Opera , the page is centred, in IE it isn't.
    3. Padding is different in IE to the rest. eg. in IE, you can see that the navbar at the top doesn't span the whole way across width (and the footer).

These are 3 things that probably have something stupid missing in the code, but I just can't find the problem.

The only thing thats wanted is the sidebar, in IE it is all white colour, but in the rest, it only stops at the contents end.

Forget about the page content, it's just a test.

http://www.cbscharleville.com/test

Please help, Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Niall09 wrote: »
    1. In FF/Chrome/Opera , the dropdown menu works, in IE it doesn't.
    I can't see how you've implemented the drop-down menu; it looks like a CSS-only menu (no JavaScript); my main observation would be that you can't / shouldn't have objects with the same id (currently "subnavlist").....change these to class="subnavlist" (and the appropriate CSS to ".subnavlist" instead of "#subnavlist") and then maybe it'll work.
    2. In FF/Chrome/Opera , the page is centred, in IE it isn't.

You need a wrapper around all the content, and then set the text-align of the body to "center" (American spelling), with the wrapper set for text-align:left;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto
    3. Padding is different in IE to the rest. eg. in IE, you can see that the navbar at the top doesn't span the whole way across width (and the footer).

IE's box model is flawed; either ignore padding and set an internal div with width & margin, or use the IE-only override *width

The only thing thats wanted is the sidebar, in IE it is all white colour, but in the rest, it only stops at the contents end.

Do a search for "CSS columns"; it's difficult enough to achieve if the content height can vary. The usual way around it is to put a background image on the content area that goes "behind" the sidebar and achieves the same result.

Advertisement