Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a home development environment

Options
  • 29-10-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am currently trying to setup a home development with the following:
    • Visual Studio 2008
    • SQL Server 2008
    • Visual SourceSafe 2005
    • 1x Machine with Windows Server 2008
    • 1x Development machine - Vista x64

I have a normal wireless ADSL router which I am trying, with great difficulty, to setup to port forward VPN connections to the server's IP.

I have a friend who is also trying to connect via VPN to this setup.

What I have done so far:
    1. Vanilla install of Server 2008.
    2. The only other thing I have done with the server is: created a few users and installed the RRAS feature on the server.
    3. Set the LAN IP of the server to a fixed IP: 192.168.11.4
    4. Port forwarded port 1723 to 192.168.11.4 on the router.
    5. DHCP range is 192.168.11.5 <-> 192.168.11.50 on the router

Problems:
    1. When I try to connect to the server locally, I can connect to the VPN but after 5-10mins I lose internet connectivity. This is only regained by disconnecting the VPN.
    2. The remote user can't even connect at all via VPN.

I'm puzzled to say the least.

I am open to any suggestions anyone has. I will even completely change my method of setting up this environment, bearing in mind that I need the development tools listed above.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sean
    You are as well to post that in here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=378

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

This is more of a networking thing so I'll copy it over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

@yop & Evil Phil

I already had a thread a few months back in this forum on the same topic. Which wasn't getting any closer to helping me.

I decided to move it to the programming sub-forum because:

1. I am a developer looking to set up a developing environment. So I thought, where better than ask developers themselves.
    2. I already had a thread in here.
    3. This sub-forum has little activity.

Can a moderator please move it back to Programming or else delete it completely.

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Sean^DCT4 wrote: »

What I have done so far:
    4. Port forwarded port 1723 to 192.168.11.4 on the router.
    Problems:
    1. When I try to connect to the server locally, I can connect to the VPN but after 5-10mins I lose internet connectivity. This is only regained by disconnecting the VPN.
    2. The remote user can't even connect at all via VPN.

As well as forwarding port 1723 you also need to forward GRE traffic. Depending on the router, forwarding PPTP traffic may forward both TCP 1723 and GRE.

As for losing Internet connectivity, drop your VPN connection. You don't need it. You're already on the same network as your server. You don't need a VPN.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

hI Liamo,
    The problem is Im the one thats going to be connecting to the VPN and Im not on Seans home lan. Thats one of the problems anyway. Im having problems even setting up a VPN connection to the server

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

neil_hosey wrote: »
    hI Liamo,
    The problem is Im the one thats going to be connecting to the VPN and Im not on Seans home lan. Thats one of the problems anyway. Im having problems even setting up a VPN connection to the server

The objective is to connect to the server.
    In order to do this you first need to create a VPN.
    The only problem, as I understand it, is that you can't create a VPN.
    Unless GRE traffic is being forwarded to the server (The other end of the VPN) in addition to port 1723, you won't be able to create a VPN.

In my earlier post I may have caused a little confusion by addressing the points raised in reverse order. Hope this clarifies matters.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

liamo wrote: »
    The objective is to connect to the server.
    In order to do this you first need to create a VPN.
    The only problem, as I understand it, is that you can't create a VPN.
    Unless GRE traffic is being forwarded to the server (The other end of the VPN) in addition to port 1723, you won't be able to create a VPN.

In my earlier post I may have caused a little confusion by addressing the points raised in reverse order. Hope this clarifies matters.

Regards,

Liam

Thanks for the info Liamo.
    I'll reset the router settings and try it again.

Advertisement