Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up website from scratch?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

hi i need someone to guide me in the right direction for setting up a website. what exactly do i need, i dont understand some terms such as domain, host, what would the cost be just for a simple website using html, some images etc. if someone has a check list or a step by step guide in how to start from scratch i would greatly appreciate it, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

1. Domain : A "name" that identifies your website and email addresses, e.g.

www.boards.ie
    admin@boards.ie

the "boards.ie" bit is the domain

2. Host : A company that you pay for webspace; the files for your website are put on their computer and they guarantee to have that available about 99% of the time (i.e. they should have generators if the power goes and backups if a server goes down). It's basically a computer, but you don't have to worry about keeping it running

3. Cost : Depends on what you need. You could get a VERY basic site done for about €500, but if it is a budget site then don't expect much from it in terms of being able to update it or having it appear in search engines

There are 4 ways of developing a site, and what you need to do varies
    1. Use Notepad or a text editor to create one from scratch - just DON'T use MS Word!! :P
    2. Download a template and use Notepad or a text editor to change that
    3. Use an online facility or CMS such as WordPress
    4. Get a company to create it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Liam Byrne wrote: »

It depends on what you are doing and are going to use the site for, but WordPress can be a great way to easily get up and running.

Mostly WordPress sites are used as blogs, but it is possible to set up a business site on it too.

One of the neat things about WordPress is the many free themes that are available. You can quickly change the way your site looks, without having to know a lot about web design.

Check out this site ( http://wordpress.com/ ) to see what they look like. You can browse other peoples blogs or sign up for an account and get your own free blog, just to see what it looks like and how it works.

If you like it and think a WordPress site would work, find a host that includes wordpress installations as part of the hosting package. Many will do it for free and you can have a nice looking site up in only a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Cost really depends on so many factors - from who you get to make it (Irish versus Offshore) to what you need.

I don't think you're in a position to consider offshoring just yet :) but I reckon you could get a student to make a website for you quite cheaply. Just stick an advert in your local college and someone will contact you.

You will learn a LOT about hosting from this forum: http://www.webhostingtalk.com

Also check out http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com

You could also ask for other people's experience at http://www.askaboutmoney.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I made my site from Joomla 1.5 another CMS. I wont link to it as I am having security issues at the moment which is why I came here and saw this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    1. Domain : A "name" that identifies your website and email addresses, e.g.

www.boards.ie
    admin@boards.ie

the "boards.ie" bit is the domain

2. Host : A company that you pay for webspace; the files for your website are put on their computer and they guarantee to have that available about 99% of the time (i.e. they should have generators if the power goes and backups if a server goes down). It's basically a computer, but you don't have to worry about keeping it running

3. Cost : Depends on what you need. You could get a VERY basic site done for about €500, but if it is a budget site then don't expect much from it in terms of being able to update it or having it appear in search engines

There are 4 ways of developing a site, and what you need to do varies
    1. Use Notepad or a text editor to create one from scratch - just DON'T use MS Word!! :P
    2. Download a template and use Notepad or a text editor to change that
    4. Get a company to create it for you

is 500 very budget cost - I set up sites for 600 designed for soe am I underestimating myself - an example of one of my sites is www.swordslife.com/mevents/test.asp

should I bill much more?? i'm still starting out so want to get my name about. sorry for jumping your thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Have you not already asked that in another thread already? Im pretty sure you have and people gave their thoughts.

It depens on how big the site is and what the person wants but 600 would be at the lower end of the scale, then again if the work being done isnt of a higher standard then it shouldnt cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

sorry I only asked this as i had never seen 500 as the lower limit and i dont think im at the lower end - pride and all that :)

Advertisement