Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arrange these in order of easiest..

• 29-10-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭

Morning all. Bit of a problem, told myself I wouldn't buy any new games until I had finished all the ones I have for the 360 (Bit of an issue with me, have a room full of thousands of games for almost every major console ever made that I haven't completed !). As far as problems go, its a nice one to have.

Anyway, Gears, Fable, PES2009, Dead Space, FarCry 2 and more are all out or on the way, so I'd like to get through as many of the remainder of my unplayed games before christmas as I can. That way I will feel less guilty about picking up the aforementioned new ones...

This is what I have yet to play or finish (I don't care which ones are good, bad, you must play this.. etc...., just easiest/quickest to finish, up to the most difficult).

Assassins Creed
    GTA 4
    Orange Box
    Kameo
    Just Cause
    Hitman Blood Money
    Kane and Lynch
    Mass Effect
    Lost Planet
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    Forza
    Dead Rising
    Medal of Honor Airborne
    Condemed
    Oblivion (which considering the time I put into Morrowind, probably belongs here at bottom of the list !)

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm in a similar sitation mate.

Cleared "Hitman Blood Money" very quickly on the PC.. so from a glance and from what I've played, that would probably be the easiest!

Anyways, from what I've played:

- Orange Box is quite vast.. as would be expected with 5 games in 1 (though Portal is very brief.. but amazing!)
    - Assassins Creed is brief-ish..
    - Condemned.. played this last week and got through the first three chapters (of about 8) in one night in about 2 hours. So this would be quick enough too!
    - GTA 4.. a good 30 hours play in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kameo and Mass Effect can be finished fairly quickly, so can Dead Rising if you don't bother with the main story, let the time tick by and get the lazy ending but you really do miss out imo.

GRAW 2 has a fairly short single player aswell, shorter than GRAW 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

By play/finish do you mean story lines or 1000 points? Some of the games listed might have short stories, but have collectables.

Assassins Creed - Has collectables
    GTA 4 - You can finish the story in 30 hours (an achievement for <30 hours), but there are side quests and a LOT of collectables (200 pigeons). Also, multiplayer takes ages.
    Orange Box - Like basq said, 5 in 1
    Kameo - RPG
    Just Cause - No idea
    Hitman Blood Money - Start with this one. The story is fairly handy to get through and it took me a week to get all 1000GS, fun game none the less. Only problem is the level difficulty achievements aren't stackable.
    Kane and Lynch - No idea
    Mass Effect - Another RPG. The story isn't too long, but if you want to level up or visit every planet, then it can take ages. If you want all points, it takes about 4 play throughs.
    Lost Planet - No idea.
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - Playing this myself ATM (when my 360 comes back from Germany). I'm finding it a little slow to get in to.
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - No idea.
    Forza - Not played, but I believe it's a hard to get 1000.
    Dead Rising - Not played, but I believe it's a hard to get 1000.
    Medal of Honor Airborne - No idea.
    Condemed - No idea.
    Oblivion - Another RPG (30-50 hours I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Kameo
    Hitman Blood Money
    Kane and Lynch
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    Dead Rising
    Medal of Honor Airborne
    Condemed

All of the above can be done in 10 hours or less! the others will take ages really, still mostly class games though. I would heartily recommend playing The Orange Box though, each game in it can be done in 5 or 6 hours (with the exception of Team Fortress) but they are all pure class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Mass effects is easy enough to finish, around 3-5 days casual playing
    Oblivion - lots of hours to be spent but its easy enough to stick at it
    Dead rising is frustrating as hell and I couldnt play it consecutively
    GRAW2 - is fairly good but again consecutive gameplay was an issue for me.
    Forza is difficult, I'm waiting to get a steering wheel before I get at it again.

Good idea though, I remember when I started buying games first for the PC. I finished every one of them before I got a new one, of all the xbox games I have I have only finished about 3. It definately makes you appreciate a new game more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'll comment on the games i have played.

Assassins Creed - Short and good fun. Skip side quests and you'll be finished in no time

GTA 4 - Minimum 20 - 30 hours story time and an awful lot more if you do side quests.

Orange Box - Only played HL 2 on this. Took about 12 hours. I believe the rest are half the time other than team fortress.

Kane and Lynch - Skip it. Played a few levels and gave up

Dead Rising - Great game. Frustrating until you level up. Could be a short play or as long as you want. I played through it 4 times.

Condemed - Great game, Very atmospheric and nice and short. Really enjoyed it and just finished a few days ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

djkeogh wrote: »
    Kane and Lynch - Skip it. Played a few levels and gave up

Whatever you do don't listen to this guy. Don't skip it. Burn it, burn it until it's unrecognisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

From quickest to longest (imo)

Kane and Lynch (you'll play for 5 minutes then throw the pile of crap in the bin where it belongs)
    Condemed (from what I've played, I can't see it stretching out too far)
    Assassins Creed (fairly brief if you're not bothered about achievements)
    Lost Planet (same as above)
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (fairly brief singleplayer mode, gave up on the last level
    of this though)
    Mass Effect (a surprisingly short game, should be doable in well under 12 hours if you don't bother with side quests)

GTA 4 (even without doing side missions and stuff, you'd be hard pressed to clear it in under 30 hours)
    Orange Box (up to 20 hours for HL2, then anywhere between 4-8 for Portal, Episode 1 & Episode 2)
    Oblivion (you've answered this one yourself)

tman wrote: »
    up to 20 hours for HL2

Eh? not a hope man! 8 to 9 hours tops, and that's if you keep stopping to enjoy the scenery! ;)

By the way, Kane & Lynch isn't as bad as people are making out. I played it co-op with a mate, doubtless it has flaws, but it was an enjoyable enough romp while it lasted....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Thanks for the replies folks. Wow, people really don't like Kane and Lynch eh ?

Looks like Condemned, Assassins Creed, R6 Vegas 2, GRAW2 and Hitman among others are the ones to go for first... R6 and GRAW2 should be a walk in the park as I completed their predecessors, scoring around 800 achievement points. If the R6 multiplayer was as addictive as the original then the rest of the list might end up being ignored however !

Just Finished Star Wars KOTOR on PC, thats what prompted me to get Mass Effect, sounds like Mass Effect is shorter however. Not a bad thing if the story is good...

I already played dead rising up as far as the second day I think, have gone through the guy in the foodcourt and the clown and now taking on some other guy upstairs early in the morning, but have no gun and just can't get near him. Stupid save system means I need a miracle or a restart - not sure if I can stomach a restart with so many great games left to play...

Of course I could ignore the xbox and play some of the classics I have for other systems which I still have not played. A shamefully long list really, highlights include:

Zelda Ocarina of time and Majora's mask on N64.
    Parasite Eve, Xenogears, FF9 etc.. on PS1
    ICO, Shadow of Colossus, MGS3, San Andreas on PS2
    Windwalker, RE4, Rogue Squadron, Metroid on Gamecube
    Fable on xbox
    Shenmue on Dreamcast
    Stalker, Crysis etc.. on PC
    And thousands more...

The list of games I have completed over the years is long, the list I have yet to complete is getting longer... ! I think I need to take a year off work. Ocarina of time in particular has evaded me too long. I bought it 10 years ago !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Given the list of games you have yet to play, I would definitely consider skipping a few of the weaker titles (MOH Airborne, Kameo, Just Cause, K&L) and playing some Metroid and RE4 for starters

Ocarina of time in particular has evaded me too long. I bought it 10 years ago !

Class game! ahhh, the memories! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I already played dead rising up as far as the second day I think, have gone through the guy in the foodcourt and the clown and now taking on some other guy upstairs early in the morning, but have no gun and just can't get near him. Stupid save system means I need a miracle or a restart - not sure if I can stomach a restart with so many great games left to play...

Start again, make a bee line for the gun store. It's more fun with shotguns and rifles :) and remember you can't save everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Start again, make a bee line for the gun store. It's more fun with shotguns and rifles :) and remember you can't save everyone.

Isnt there an achievement for everyone saved though ?

Remember when you restart that you keep any skills that you learned last time round so its not as difficult as the previous time.

I feel like giving this one a spin again now ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Orange box =

HL2 = 8ish hours
    HL2 Ep1 = 3ish hours
    HL2 Ep2 = 3ish hours
    Portal = 3ish hours
    TF2 = multiplayer.

I reckon if you crack into half life 2 you'll be compelled to shoot through the other 2 episodes maybe do HL2, ep 1 + 2 somwhere between 14-20 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yeah, I reckon I should belt through HL2, I completed it on PC already, but I'd like to do it again before I give Ep1 & 2 a go..

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The guns are certainly helpful but 9 times out of 10 I'll take a katana over everythings else. Love the Machete you get later on but Katana's will get you through most hardships. Shotguns and sniper rifile are great for Psycho fights.

Defo start this again cause once you get up to a good level the game gets so much easier. So much so that when your ready, You won't need to save!

But still do! Backtracking pain is the worst known to gamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Assassins Creed
    GTA 4
    Orange Box
    Kameo
    Just Cause
    Hitman Blood Money
    Kane and Lynch
    Mass Effect
    Lost Planet
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    Forza
    Dead Rising
    Medal of Honor Airborne
    Condemed
    Oblivion (which considering the time I put into Morrowind, probably belongs here at bottom of the list !)

Any suggestions welcome.
    Zelda Ocarina of time and Majora's mask on N64.
    Parasite Eve, Xenogears, FF9 etc.. on PS1
    ICO, Shadow of Colossus, MGS3, San Andreas on PS2
    Windwalker, RE4, Rogue Squadron, Metroid on Gamecube
    Fable on xbox
    Shenmue on Dreamcast
    Stalker, Crysis etc.. on PC
    And thousands more...

The list of games I have completed over the years is long, the list I have yet to complete is getting longer... ! I think I need to take a year off work. Ocarina of time in particular has evaded me too long. I bought it 10 years ago !

I've played most on your lists. The retro list is much stronger imo. I can understand you wanting to get through as many as you can but you really shouldn't rush the ones I've highlighted. They are a couple of the best games you'll play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

djkeogh wrote: »
    I'll comment on the games i have played.

Orange Box - Only played HL 2 on this. Took about 12 hours. I believe the rest are half the time other than team fortress.

You didnt play episode two or portal?? Ah man your missing out there, especially episode two, thought it was just a marvelous game, and IMO its the best FPS out on the 360 ATM, only problem was it was pretty short but it was brilliant while it lasted.

Advertisement