Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2001 Toyota Corolla VVTI - a good buy?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi, all. Looking for a bit of advice.

Been offered a 2001 Toyota Corolla VVTI saloon with 75,000 miles on the clock. Drives fine and new filters and an oil change have been thrown in as well as the usual warranty. Bodywork seems perfect, and the car has mainly been driven in rural areas. Is it worth a punt for €5K, bearing in mind that my other yoke has packed up and I need a car immediately, and can’t afford to spend time searching for the perfect deal. All I want is a reliable, economical driver; I’m not interested in badges, numberplates or keeping up with the Joneses. My mechanic reckons they’re bulletproof, but he’s never actually owned one himself.

One other thing, apparently these cars have timing chains instead of belts. How often do they need changing?

Thanks

BOSTIK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You could do better in terms of value for money, but if you need a car in a hurry, then you could do worse. It's a bit dear still though. Try him for €4k!
    Chains do need to be changed, but often not for at least 200k. Sometimes less than that though, but they won't snap like a belt, they'll start to rattle, so you'll get plenty of warning before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€5k is too much for a 2001 Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It also depends where the car was made how good it is. Japanese made are OK, UK not so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Thanks for the replies. I’m not looking for cheaper examples, as I literally can’t go viewing cars and have to buy something right now. It’s my own stupid fault for allowing the other yoke to kick the bucket on me, hence the urgency regarding this one. All I want to know is whether I can expect to knock a few year’s trouble-free driving out of this one, which comes with a decent service history and drives very well at the minute.

I’ve never owned a Toyota before, was just wondering if this’d be worth getting. As already mentioned, the mechanic recommends it, but hasn’t actually owned one himself, so only sees them coming in for servicing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I’m not looking for cheaper examples, as I literally can’t go viewing cars and have to buy something right now. It’s my own stupid fault for allowing the other yoke to kick the bucket on me, hence the urgency regarding this one. All I want to know is whether I can expect to knock a few year’s trouble-free driving out of this one, which comes with a decent service history and drives very well at the minute.

I’ve never owned a Toyota before, was just wondering if this’d be worth getting. As already mentioned, the mechanic recommends it, but hasn’t actually owned one himself, so only sees them coming in for servicing.

The car should be good for another 100k miles without any problems

if you are happy with the car BUY IT

you will lose more arsing around with carzone & cbg , drove 50 miles each way last july to look at a "mint condition PMO yaris" my daughter was interested in..... car was a wreck with slipping clutch,

Good luck if you purchase

Go for that car indeed, my father had one for 4 years, the only issue was the buttons on the radio broke.

The point being made though was that in the current second hand market an almost 8 year old Corolla is not worth that amount of money. Just because you are in need of a car quickly doesn't mean you should accept paying over the odds for it either.

Thanks, lads. Reckon it’s a good car, was just looking for a thumbs-up from someone who knew a bit more about them.

Actually the car hasn’t hit its 7th anniversary yet, was a late 2001 reg. I take your point on the price bazz, but I haven’t the time to wait for a cheaper car. Going to go for it anyway, as snowman says I haven’t the time to be messing around. Might be able to beat a few cents off the price yet.

Cheers

BOSTIK

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Offer 4500 and see how she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks, lads. Reckon it’s a good car, was just looking for a thumbs-up from someone who knew a bit more about them.

Actually the car hasn’t hit its 7th anniversary yet, was a late 2001 reg. I take your point on the price bazz, but I haven’t the time to wait for a cheaper car. Going to go for it anyway, as snowman says I haven’t the time to be messing around. Might be able to beat a few cents off the price yet.

Cheers

BOSTIK
    Offer €4,000. I understand you need a car fast, but the seller must be aware that car buyers are very thin on the ground at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

€5000 for a 2001 car, you're having a laugh,dealers can't shift anything these days nevermind a 2001 Corolla. I admit it's a decent car but it's far from the going price for these at the moment. Play hardball or don't buy at all. You can't need a motor in that much of a hurry. If 'easy pickings' consumers keep turning up on Car Dealer doorsteps buying 7 year old cars for €5000 then the motor trade will stay in it's current sorry state for a very long time to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Not many people know,but the the Toyota changed loads of VVTI (1.4,1.6,1.8 engines) engines under warranty.Premature piston ring wear (usually between 50k-80k miles)caused very high oil consumption.
    If there's a paint mark on the dipstick,then it means she got a new engine at some stage.If you see the slightest puff of blue smoke,or low oil level on the dipstick,walk away.The other problem with Corollas was the noisy gearbox bearings.Take up the car to motorway speed slowly in 4th and 5th gear also and listen to a whining/groaning noise.
    Other than that they are great little cars...I know as I own one :)
    But there's no such thing as bulletproof cars,even if it's a Toyota ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Del2005 wrote: »
    It also depends where the car was made how good it is. Japanese made are OK, UK not so good.

which bits are better on the Japanese ones, just out of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

colm_mcm wrote: »

The start of the Chassis number will start at SB = UK built, JT = Jap built.

And its stamped into the firewall of the car.:)

Volvoboy wrote: »

Indeed, this is one difference, I'm asking about how a Japanese one is better than a UK one!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

I bought a spotless, and I mean spotless 55,000 mile 01 corolla from a franchised dealer a few months ago for €5,500. €5,000 private, 70,000 plus miles does not sound like a great deal to me. Yes the corolla should last for ages though. Its not much to look at, or to drive, but it is reliable, comfortable, practial and reasonable with the juice. Avg 42mpg since I bought. 5 days city stop start driving and most weekends spin to mayo.

Its fine on the motorway, overtaking is not brilliant, drop it down two and floor it. Steering is a bit vague around dead ahead, not very much feedback, but very light. Clutch, gearbox a pleasure to use. They can and do burn oil, needs to be kept an eye on regularly - normal so long as its not let go too low by the guy you are buying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Volvoboy wrote: »

IIRC out of that generation (E110) only the 5 door hatchbacks (the ugly ones!) were made in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Saloons come from Turkey, no? At least that's true for some Euro markets.

samih wrote: »
    Saloons come from Turkey, no? At least that's true for some Euro markets.

From 2002 onwards, not the model the OP is buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Brother has a 00 reg 1.4 3door with VVti engine. 117k on clock now. No issues except radio packing in a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Dad had two of them, until recently. great cars, really solid and hold themselves well on the road. He had some minor electrical problems with the driver side window regulator (motor went, €90 for a new part delivered!). According to him you'd be right to keep a close eye on the oil levels, front wheel bearings after 100k and he had the radio problem also - a cheap head-unit from Halfords sorted that.

They ain't pretty, but they're reliable!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

I have a 95 corrola and my brother has a 2000. His is British built and his has a massive thirst for oil but no other problems. The british built cars alledgedly are not as well built as the Jap ones

VVT-i engines can start to use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles after 40,000 miles.

British-built Y2K models proving to be less reliable than predecessors with reports of front wheel bearing and ECU failures.

from www.honestjohn.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Harpz wrote: »
    I have a 95 corrola and my brother has a 2000. His is British built and his has a massive thirst for oil but no other problems. The british built cars alledgedly are not as well built as the Jap ones
    Bit like the Micra's then :o

can't say I've noticed differences between japanese built and uk built corollas reliability wise, same can be said of the bewer generation (02-07) which were built in Turkey/UK/Japan.

colm_mcm wrote: »

I was told by a Toyota mechanic that the Japanese ones are better built.
    Harpz wrote: »

VVT-i engines can start to use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles after 40,000 miles.

British-built Y2K models proving to be less reliable than predecessors with reports of front wheel bearing and ECU failures.

from www.honestjohn.co.uk

They can all burn some oil, not just UK ones. The UK ones are just aren't as well built in general. But anyone can build a dog car.

I bought the car anyway. Only a few days but very happy with it so far, it had to do a fair bit of driving over the weekend, good and solid on the road, plenty of pep too. Comfortable too. Could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Interesting nuggets on this thread. Must keep an eye on the oil levels, didn’t see any sign of paint on the dipstick when I looked. Car has a JT engine ref. Should mention that the price included recovery of previous car plus mechanic’s time. Got a full tank of juice, a few month’s road tax, and a good while on the NCT as well, so happy enough really. It wasn’t a private sale either, bought from a Toyota main dealer.

I bought the car anyway. Only a few days but very happy with it so far, it had to do a fair bit of driving over the weekend, good and solid on the road, plenty of pep too. Comfortable too. Could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Interesting nuggets on this thread. Must keep an eye on the oil levels, didn’t see any sign of paint on the dipstick when I looked. Car has a JT engine ref. Should mention that the price included recovery of previous car plus mechanic’s time. Got a full tank of juice, a few month’s road tax, and a good while on the NCT as well, so happy enough really. It wasn’t a private sale either, bought from a Toyota main dealer.

It's very important to keep an eye on the oil level. Mine burns some oil every once in a while, usually when I forget to check:o The mark on the dipstick is only because Toyota recommend to put more oil in then the original dipstick. Some dipsticks where repaced in service but if they didn't have enough new dipsticks they just put a mark 1/4" above the old top mark

Advertisement