Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

draughty velux windows

Options
  • 29-10-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

hello

I've just moved into my new 1.5 storey house. I am not happy with the U-values of the velux windows and have discovered that several of them tend to allow draughts in especially at the corners between the window frames and the opening part. I am considering two options at the moment. First, that I could replace the whole window and put in a fixed non-opening velux (possibly triple glazed?)but this would be expensive. Second, I am thinking of sealing the windows with a silicon sealer and/or taping them closed.

Is there anyone out there who has similar problems with veluxes and I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

Thanks
    Babybuilder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Are the windows new or a few years old?

I had a similar problem before, and priced getting the windows replaced. Was too expensive.

Instead, I called a repair man who changed the hinges on some of the windows. Problem solved. It would seem that old age had caused the hinges to loosen a bit. Worth checking out instead of replacing the whole window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Thanks Mick Irl

The veluxes are new. All of the windows in the house are triple glazed apart frm the veluxes and I regret now that I did'nt put in triple glazed fixed units now. I have a MHRV unit installed and running at normal setting and condensation has started to form on the inside of the veluxes but the triple glazed windows have none. Obviously the cold glass (poorer U-Value) of the veluxes is causing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi babybuilder
    Velux have a great name in window manufacture. It sounds like the window is slightly strained ? could be installed incorrectly not squared up before installation or batten thicknesses on roof uneven causing strain.
    Ring velux technical and have a service man check it out before you do anything. He will advise you accordingly.

Heatherview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with Heatherview, sounds like the frame is strained.
    Wouldn't recommend sealing shut with silicon.
    Nice to open a Velux in warm weather for natural ventilation - could be unbearable in summer if it was sealed shut!

It would be cheaper to remove velux and reinstate roof rather than remove existing glazing and replace with triple glaze.

Air tightness is very important but lets not get carried away, we need to breathe!

Advertisement