Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How will this work?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/1029/1225197271182.html

"The ANPR cameras will be mounted on Traffic Corps cars and will detect a range of motoring offences including speeding, untaxed or uninsured vehicles."

Speeding, untaxed, un-NCT'd - fine.
    Uninsured - how?

I'm on garage insurance, every car I drive will show up as uninsured. As will everyone on a "drive anything" policy.

Is it workable, or am I just going to have to get used to getting pulled over every 15 mins?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

AudiChris wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/1029/1225197271182.html

"The ANPR cameras will be mounted on Traffic Corps cars and will detect a range of motoring offences including speeding, untaxed or uninsured vehicles."

Speeding, untaxed, un-NCT'd - fine.
    Uninsured - how?

I'm on garage insurance, every car I drive will show up as uninsured. As will everyone on a "drive anything" policy.

Is it workable, or am I just going to have to get used to getting pulled over every 15 mins?

Having seen this happen a good few times on the like of "Road Wars" it's probably a good idea to have the insurers details to hand so the fuzz can call and verify you are covered.

Looks like some of us might have to get used to smiling for the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In a realistic world when all the bugs are worked out of the system this will be a very good idea and will benefit everybody from having un-taxed and uninsured drivers off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Should you not have the garage plates up when driving an untaxed/uninsured car?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

There's plans for a national insurance database to be setup (there's been plans for a few years now!!!)
    I'm not sure at what stage they are at with the planning of the insurance database but i would reckon the ANPR cameras would interact with it in the future.
    I am only assuming this though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,973 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Untaxed yes; uninsured - well, its not uninsured per se due to the driver being insured. And no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

In a realistic world when all the bugs are worked out of the system this will be a very good idea and will benefit everybody from having un-taxed and uninsured drivers off the road.

Oh, I'm not knocking it - I'd much rather see the Gardai get efficient tools that help them to catch those breaking the law than the current "random" method of detection.

I'm just wondering if anyone who has experience of this technology from other territories can advise if our garage will be required to submit a list of active reg. no's, if there's a workaround or if I'll just have to get used to having the same conversation over and over again...

The same'll happen for company car fleets too - most are covered by a blanket policy rather than vehicle-by-vehicle insurance.

Can ANPR realistically and consistently be used to detect the un-insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It won't "catch" foreign registered cars permanently over here, or people with cloned plates (provided that the car make/model/colour matches the source car).

Still, not a bad idea as part of the overall toolkit.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Should you not have the garage plates up when driving an untaxed/uninsured car?

Nope, trade plates are for untaxed or unVRT'd cars.
    I have an insurance disk for insurance.

Lumen wrote: »
    It won't "catch" foreign registered cars permanently over here...

Now there's an interesting one... if the cameras could be set up to record the registrations of the cars they see and store them somewhere, could that data then be used to prove that a foreign reg has been operational on Irish roads for x amount of time or x days in a row?

I'm not sure if that proves anything specific, but it could certainly put the frighteners on some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AudiChris wrote: »
    Oh, I'm not knocking it - I'd much rather see the Gardai get efficient tools that help them to catch those breaking the law than the current "random" method of detection.

I'm just wondering if anyone who has experience of this technology from other territories can advise if our garage will be required to submit a list of active reg. no's, if there's a workaround or if I'll just have to get used to having the same conversation over and over again...

The same'll happen for company car fleets too - most are covered by a blanket policy rather than vehicle-by-vehicle insurance.

Can ANPR realistically and consistently be used to detect the un-insured?

People will just have to start carring a copy of the policy with them and it has the added benefit of never having to produce again.

I'd much rather have a few people inconvienced in this way if it removes all the uninsured drivers off the road.

But it's not foul prove, someone not insured to drive could be in an insured car and would get past!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Del2005 wrote: »
    People will just have to start carring a copy of the policy with them and it has the added benefit of never having to produce again.

I'd much rather have a few people inconvienced in this way if it removes all the uninsured drivers off the road.

But it's not foul prove, someone not insured to drive could be in an insured car and would get past!!

+1 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

/Waits for RTDH to find ANPR thread:pac:

I think he's barred from mentioning ANPR. If he types it, it just comes up as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Del2005 wrote: »

Totally agree. There should be an onus on the driver to prove they are insured if they are stopped at a checkpoint.
    Fail to prove your insurance, car impounded on the spot.

People would get the message fairly quickly to carry proof.

Advertisement