Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underfloor heating and Laminate floors

Options
  • 29-10-2008 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am just about to lay laminate flooring (10mm) in my house. I have underfloor heating and Im just wondering if I need any special underlay to allow the heat through? Would the normal foam stuff be ok?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fordes

If you use the regular foam underlay it will prevent the heat from transmitting properly up through the timber. A friend of mine has recently had to take up his floor and remove the foam underlay. he is after putting it straight down on the floor now and there is a big increase in heat transmitted from the floor. not sure if there is a special underlay you should use or if placing the laminate flooring straight on the floor is the best. just be carefully and asked around about the regular underlay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I've seen ordinary underlay under semi-solid oak and all works fine.
    10mm laminate will take alot of hardship but the underlay will take the "bounce" which will help the floor.

There are special underlays available but I'm not sure of their qualities. Maybe someone can advise. They all look so similar.

I'd recommend you use an underlay that works with underfloor heating.

Heat rises so any material, if heated enought will disipate heat. Carpet would be thicker than foam and it will work with underfloor.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

The best underlay to use with laminate or semisolid floors over underfloor heating is 2mm cork. And put down 500g polythene under this if it is a concrete floor (yes even with underfloor heating)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rachel 999

I have a new build with underfloor heating and am wondering what are the best types of floor covering to go for. How has your wooden floors worked out.:):):)
    aido182 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am just about to lay laminate flooring (10mm) in my house. I have underfloor heating and Im just wondering if I need any special underlay to allow the heat through? Would the normal foam stuff be ok?

Thanks for any help

Advertisement